Retirement Visa

I have researched the 1 year retirement visa quite thoroughly and am currently awaiting my UK police clearance.   I have all the other documentation ready ie: bank statements for pension proof, as well as proof of savings to take me up to the 800,000 requirement. 

One other document that they require is a medical certificate which must be signed by my doctor to certify that I am not suffering from Syphilis, Elephantiasis, tuberculosis, leprosy and drug addiction.    I have asked my doctor to sign but she is not happy to without tests which cost 105 pounds as its not on the NHS.  

Has anyone else had this problem and how did they solve it.    Or is it best just to apply inside of Thailand where I am told the medical certificate will not be necessary.     Any advice please.  

It sounds like you are applying for a Non O-A visa at the London embassy?

53 minutes ago, Live Life said:

I have asked my doctor to sign but she is not happy to without tests which cost 105 pounds as its not on the NHS.   

Bad luck with that. If you are a patient of her for long she should really be willing to resort to eye diagnosis :whistling: (which was the case for me, other country).

Or is it best just to apply inside of Thailand where I am told the medical certificate will not be necessary.

Of course you could go for a standard Non O visa and then apply for a one year extension in Thailand. No medical required with very few exceptions.

And if so it's a joke (no exam 99%).

If you can stand upright and put your passport on the reception desk you are fit :biggrin:

bank statements for pension proof, as well as proof of savings to take me up to the 800,000 requirement. 

But you should be aware that you'd have to transfer the necessary funds (required on top of your pension) to a Thai bank account (which you would have to open after arrival).

If you are willing to do so, you could go that route.

Advantage of the Non O-A: no fund transfer necessary, stay up to two years with just one border run before the expiry date of the visa.

Edited by KhunBENQ

If I was you, I would just spend the £105 in the UK and get the tests done and do it all properly from the off.

Otherwise you will be coming in on a 30 day visa exemption and you will then have to navigate your way to getting the OA which could be a bit stressful if you are relocating and expensive if you don't have any local support or knowledge.

The visa you get from the UK allows you the 90 days to get youself orientated and move through the process.

Also, if you have any of those, your better getting treatment on the NHS.

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, joe china said:

Also, if you have any of those, your better getting treatment on the NHS.

:biggrin:

Indeed strange that your "family doctor" would insist on lab or other exams on one of these conditions.

Syphilis 3rd stage, elephantiasis, leprosy ! Oh man!

And she wouldn't have noticed that you are drug addict?

Tuberculosis is the only one that could go somewhat hidden.

Embassy needs the paper "for the files", zero back check, track back.

But if all fails, I join previous post and advice to spend the 105 Pounds.

If you do it in Thailand you have to run around to open bank account, get a pension statement from UK embassy, transfer money and still pay 1900 Baht for the extension at immigration office.

Overall this might quickly add up to 105 P.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I would spend the 105 pounds as the visa you will get has a one year validity and a one year term so you can use it for a two year stay...

I had a similar problem once as my US doctor broke out in laughter when seeing the Elephantiasis part... He scratched his head and just signed it no tests ;-)...

• Haha 1

I would spend the 105 pounds as the visa you will get has a one year validity and a one year term so you can use it for a two year stay...

Another reason to get it in the UK. Thailand issued OA's seem to be 15 months max, in my experience.

14 minutes ago, joe china said:

Another reason to get it in the UK. Thailand issued OA's seem to be 15 months max, in my experience.

O-A visas are never issued in Thailand.

• Like 1

Just now, joe china said:

I am confused. What is it that they issue is Thailand then? An O with a retirement extension?

In Thailand, two things are on offer.

You can get a 90 day O visa as an option if you don't have an O or O-A from elsewhere.

That is granted only as the first step in a two step process, with the annual retirement extension being the second step.

Which brings us to annual retirement extensions.

I entered years ago on a 90 day O visa from the USA and have been on annual retirement extensions obtained here since then. 

O-A visas are issues in home countries, never Thailand. 

In Thailand, two things are on offer.
You can get a 90 day O visa as an option if you don't have an O or O-A from elsewhere.
That is granted only as the first step in a two step process, with the annual retirement extension being the second step.
Which brings us to annual retirement extensions.
I entered years ago on a 90 day O visa from the USA and have been on annual retirement extensions obtained here since then. 
O-A visas are issues in home countries, never Thailand. 
Thanks for the clarity. I understand now.

15 hours ago, sfokevin said:

I had a similar problem once as my US doctor broke out in laughter when seeing the Elephantiasis part... He scratched his head and just signed it no tests ;-)...

Seemingly identical to my experience (also back in the UK, as per the OP) 10 years ago. The doctor signed the medical form without any ado after a "thorough medical examination" which consisted of her eyes moving from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet.

And when I asked her how she could have been sure that I wasn't suffering from elephantiasis, her response was on the lines of: "This would have been obvious from your appearance, sir"!

But definitely agree with you and others that it would be best for the OP to bite the bullet and pay £105 to get the certificate signed in the UK.