3 billion baht needed to solve flood problems

Rimmer

3 billion baht needed to solve flood problems

image.png

PATTAYA:--Having experimented with copy and paste solutions to the flooding problems in Pattaya for the past 40 years, the city fathers have now decided to open up to recommendations and advice from flood prevention experts.

Deputy Mayor Apichart Virapal chaired the June 1 meeting of members of the city council and heads of governmental departments to hear proposals for Project Phase I: Suitability studies, surveys, and designing flood prevention systems in Pattaya City.

Also, in attendance was Chukiet Subpaisan, Project Manager of the Water Development Co., Ltd., hired by Pattaya City to assist in the planning of this massive undertaking.

Chukiet said drains in Pattaya were too small and therefore water could not flow through them fast enough, thus causing floods. He also said that the original sewer blocks were too small.

He made some conjectural suggestions which included building a large drainage tunnel under Sukhumvit Road running to the sea and replacing the sewer blocks with larger ones.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/3-billion-baht-needed-solve-flood-problems-212253

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2018-06-09

Heck, 3 billion baht to solve the Pattaya flooding problem?  That's just like ONE Chinese submarine, or maybe even a mere patrol boat.

The national government ought to take that deal and put a cherry on top. Plus flood control capital improvement projects provides loads of opportunities for localized graft and corruption, which has a lot of local appeal.

• Like 1

Step 1: Get the outside experts to develop an overall integrated master plan covering all of Pattaya and effected surrounding areas.

Step 2:  Find a way to stop the past developers and officials to stop pushing back to the old plans and project arrangements which aided loss of hundreds of billions of Baht in the past, most of which was spent for very little benefit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

Step 1: Get the outside experts to develop an overall integrated master plan covering all of Pattaya and effected surrounding areas.

Step 2:  Find a way to stop the past developers and officials to stop pushing back to the old plans and project arrangements which aided loss of hundreds of billions of Baht in the past, most of which was spent for very little benefit.

Step 3. Get all the local officials snouts out of the trough and completely away from the project, because they simply couldn't organize a bang in a brothel with a fist full of 1,000 baht notes

Chukiet Subpaisan, Project Manager of the Water Development Co., Ltd was formerly heading the Strategic Committee for Water Resources Management as commissioner. They put a stop to the urgent contract for flood prevention signed with K-Water worth 350Billion. Result on going floods and no Super Floodway to prevent flooding of greater Bangkok and Ayutthaya. Much of the design work has been carried out many times for various projects in Thailand that hardly ever go ahead as  they prefer to call for new studies and Master Plans, which are a nice little earner for local consultants. I  have been involved in various Master Plans such as for the Kra Isthmus Canal (3 times), Bangkok Solid Waste Master Plan, the Pattaya first Waste Water Treatment Plant, Hopewell Henge (rail road scheme) and various flood prevention schemes over the last 30 years I do not hold much hope for any major steps to alleviate the problem.

• Like 2

40 yrs trying to solve it. It is a complete JOKE. Thailand does not have flood control experts or engineers. Pattay spend millions each year on this and still happens each year.

it is believed that the cheapest prices are accepted with large side amounts pay d to the main council.

it will never change. The project should be put out internationally for tender by experienced countries like Holland, Europe and Japan. And the Thai government should supervise it all and made public.

The government should investigate the personal funds and properties the Pattaya officials have.

Dreams, Dreams, Dreams. 

No acusations here just what is believed by many people.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Estrada said:

Chukiet Subpaisan, Project Manager of the Water Development Co., Ltd was formerly heading the Strategic Committee for Water Resources Management as commissioner. They put a stop to the urgent contract for flood prevention signed with K-Water worth 350Billion. Result on going floods and no Super Floodway to prevent flooding of greater Bangkok and Ayutthaya. Much of the design work has been carried out many times for various projects in Thailand that hardly ever go ahead as  they prefer to call for new studies and Master Plans, which are a nice little earner for local consultants. I  have been involved in various Master Plans such as for the Kra Isthmus Canal (3 times), Bangkok Solid Waste Master Plan, the Pattaya first Waste Water Treatment Plant, Hopewell Henge (rail road scheme) and various flood prevention schemes over the last 30 years I do not hold much hope for any major steps to alleviate the problem.

They put a stop to that K-Water deal for good reason. No EIA's, no real tendering and the deal done by PTP after Thaksin had visited K-Water as an honored guest! 

Whatever happened to that 350 Billion baht btw - was that again another mystery of Mr. White Lies accounting system?

What they haven't done, and what previous administrations also haven't done, is engage the foreign experts, like the Dutch to advise them, develop a real strategy and then implement it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

They put a stop to that K-Water deal for good reason. No EIA's, no real tendering and the deal done by PTP after Thaksin had visited K-Water as an honored guest! 

Whatever happened to that 350 Billion baht btw - was that again another mystery of Mr. White Lies accounting system?

What they haven't done, and what previous administrations also haven't done, is engage the foreign experts, like the Dutch to advise them, develop a real strategy and then implement it.

Actually they did get Dutch experts in about 7 years ago, unfortunately their advice was not implemented and billions effectively wasted in Bangkok. Same will happen in Pattaya probably. 

Stop the rampant building of apartment/condo blocks that have no suitable water management plans in place, there is far too much concrete in this city now, when it rains it has no where to go, years back the grassy plains /forests would have soaked it up like a sponge, not anymore, concrete = nowhere to go, grass or forest soak it up.

But of course the developers know different so do the officials getting a backhander to turn a blind eye.

I have a mate, about the same age as me, or maybe he's a bit younger but that's by the by, he was here in the early 90's and told me that beach road in Jomtiem was a dirt track with only one bar, I bet it didn't flood back then too much after a heavy shower.

10 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

he was here in the early 90's and told me that beach road in Jomtiem was a dirt track with only one bar, I bet it didn't flood back then too much after a heavy shower.

I think he meant early 1890's.

I was here early 90's and beach road was a paved road with quite a few bars, I I have seen the boats  in soi post office when it flooded.

Correction, just notice you mentioned jomtien beach road. Indeed there were few to no bars in jomtien, but beach road was paved

Edited by janclaes47

A simple flow analysis would indicate the amount of drainage or channel flow size needed. # acre-feet or gallons per second in....  Pattaya is at the end of a large sloping area draining down from the local hills.  It could be possible to build some very very large drainage channels such As Los Angeles has, but all that would do is dump all the street water into the bay faster and not do a damn thing for local water quality.