Thai numberplate with Latin characters?

This not the letter J. It is Thai letter Por-pra   " ป "
Another opinion gnor gnoo ง or could be por plar ป or could be J or its been deliberately obscured..which I would have thought would bring more attention..but that was her view.
  • Confused 1

Another opinion gnor gnoo ง or could be por plar ป or could be J or its been deliberately obscured..which I would have thought would bring more attention..but that was her view.
  • Confused 1

Interesting speculations, here are the facts as I run a fleet of vehicles with such numbers.

If you travel to Laos and/or Vietnam, it helps to have these Latin plates. The provincial Dept of Land Transport is the competent authority; you see them with the original blue car registration.

The plates in discussion in Latin version are a facilitating extra and are available against a one-time fee of THB 1'500. Unknown and, again lacking common sense is the law, that you get fined using them within Thailand UNLESS you are on the way to/from the border (which you would need to prove with the corresponding paperwork, passport etc.). 

So do they take the original number plates when they issue these "latin" ones ? I guess they do or you would just change plates at the border and avoid getting fined.

Interesting speculations, here are the facts as I run a fleet of vehicles with such numbers.

If you travel to Laos and/or Vietnam, it helps to have these Latin plates. The provincial Dept of Land Transport is the competent authority; you see them with the original blue car registration.

The plates in discussion in Latin version are a facilitating extra and are available against a one-time fee of THB 1'500. Unknown and, again lacking common sense is the law, that you get fined using them within Thailand UNLESS you are on the way to/from the border (which you would need to prove with the corresponding paperwork, passport etc.). 

So do they take the original number plates when they issue these "latin" ones ? I guess they do or you would just change plates at the border and avoid getting fined.

16 hours ago, johng said:

You keep the originals and swop them against the Latin ones at/close to the border. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, johng said:
17 hours ago, Sydneyboy1 said:

As far as I got it they just number the alphabet (pun intended); so done with my cars. 
2nd letter on the Thai alphabet = 2nd letter on the Latin alphabet
Unclear though is what happens after letter 26th Thai alphabet as the Latin version has run out of options. I do not have a car with such high Thai letters so I do not know ........ 

42 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

As far as I got it they just number the alphabet (pun intended); so done with my cars. 
2nd letter on the Thai alphabet = 2nd letter on the Latin alphabet
Unclear though is what happens after letter 26th Thai alphabet as the Latin version has run out of options. I do not have a car with such high Thai letters so I do not know ........ 

They only go reluctantly  to Esarn once a year, most of the posters anyway.!!

On 6/11/2018 at 5:08 PM, Sydebolle said:

If you travel to Laos and/or Vietnam, it helps to have these Latin plates. The provincial Dept of Land Transport is the competent authority; you see them with the original blue car registration book and apply for a ITP (International Transport Permit), passport sized with the (English) details of your vehicle and valid for one year; can be extended by max another 2 x 1 year and then you get a new booklet. Whenever you cross the border from Thailand, you complete the immigration forms TM2, TM3 and TM4 forms (Information of Conveyance, Passenger List and Crew List) and then proceed to customs where the purple ITP is being processed. The customs issues a temporary export permit allowing you to travel abroad for (normally) one month; returning late results in a fine of THB 1'000, max. THB 10'000. Please do NOT ask me why this is, it is that way round - and co-incidentially the same set of forms for a foreign vehicle entering Thailand (except PR China = special regulations). The purple booklet is stamped and you're ready to roll. The Lao customs takes the ITP and issues a green Laisser-Passez valid for one month and, depending on issuance you can return without any hassle through the same or any other customs post back into Thailand.

All in all a splendid idea by ASEAN which never took off, as so many other little bilateral farts in the context of ASEAN and the AEC2015. 

In closing, the small little number at the bottom right refers to the province of registration, i.e. 01 = Bangkok and 23 = Cholburi. Unable to answer is the provincial code of 84; yet it has certainly nothing to do with the ZIP code or provincial telephone prefix. 

The pictures refer to the forms (TM2 two-fold, TM3 and TM4 one copy only), the purple ITP and the normal blue car registration. 

Documents to travel.jpg

I drive to Laos and Cambodia regularly, and have also been to Myanmar and Malaysia with my car.

As mentioned, it is not necessary to use the English plates in Laos. You can if you want, but there is no need because there is no Lao law that says you need to, secondly if there was then it would be a double standard for Laos not to request that Chinese and others also have only English plates. Not to mention that Thai law doesn't require Lao vehicles to affix English plates. Besides, Laotians can read Thai but they can't read Chinese.

For Vietnam, the English plates are useful but you can generally only get into Vietnam on a tour. Otherwise, I understand the only Thai vehicles that get into Vietnam are trucks under a quota system. Apparently it's 20 trucks a day all belonging to one company. Most likely entering and exiting through the Lao Bao crossing and traveling only to/from the Danang port.

Aren't all vehicles not registered in Laos, Malaysia, Singapore and for local travel Cambodia and Myanmar required to go on a tour with permit and guide, not just Chinese vehicles? According to the DLT, the regulations apply to all third country vehicles. https://www.dlt.go.th/th/public-news/view.php?_did=1224

Edited by jimster
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2018 at 11:46 AM, johng said:

An option  nobody is aware of ?

I have these but dont use them  cost 200 baht for both at the phuket transport office.  Used to put them on for laos an Cambodia but now dont bother...

also have the english stickers for driving into Malaysia ( note the english plates dont mean u dont need the stickers for Malaysia)

• Like 2

On 6/11/2018 at 3:08 PM, jumbo said:

Why would you worry about that? When you register your car you can request for a plate in latin letters... whatever your reason is; I call that optional

It seems your wrong from the information on this thread... The latin plates are for Thai vehicles to use in other countries...using them on Thai roads would get a 2000 baht fine

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, johng said:

It seems your wrong from the information on this thread... The latin plates are for Thai vehicles to use in other countries...using them on Thai roads would get a 2000 baht fine

My farang friend registered his car he bought in Thailand, asked for the latin plates and got them, and never paid a fine....so I think you are the one that is misinformed

That's why I know it is something you can ask for at land and transport office and can get it..

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, grkt said:

Anyway it's so stupid that all plates are not in Latin. Maybe because the idiots supposed to read the plates couldn't if they were not in Thai ?

Tell that to the Chinese, Japanese, Arab states and others.  Roman lettering isn't a world standard ........ yet!

• Like 1

As of 2008, international plates for private cars are available from the DLT upon request, for a fee. The prefix characters are translated via code-matching into two alphanumeric Roman characters. The country name THAILAND is displayed in capital letters below the registration number, and the numerical provincial code is shown in the bottom right. The plates are black on white. They are required for transport into Burma, Cambodia, southern China, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia, and Singapore. However, they are not legal inside Thailand, and must be removed upon re-entering the country.[16]

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jumbo said:

My farang friend registered his car he bought in Thailand, asked for the latin plates and got them, and never paid a fine....so I think you are the one that is misinformed

That's why I know it is something you can ask for at land and transport office and can get it..

"got them" and drives with only these in Thailand?

"never paid a fine".

I don't say it's not true, but call it luck or "the usual intensity of road checks".

As I already wrote (post #10), there are sources in Thai language which are crystal clear.

Remove those signs when driving in Thailand or pay up to 2000 Baht fine.

If you wish I send you the link by PM (links to Thai language sources are unwanted here).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

"never paid a fine".

I don't say it's not true, but call it luck or "the usual intensity of road checks".

As I already wrote (post #10), there are sources in Thai language which are crystal clear.

If you wish I send you the link by PM (links to Thai language sources are unwanted here).

Sure, send it to me

3 hours ago, jumbo said:

Always "a friend", isn't it?  Never first hand evidence!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

"never paid a fine".

Thanks for the links, funny enough my friend, who lived in Chantaburi, never mentioned any police stops or fines when I asked him about the plate on his car

And I am sure he would have done so as I was seriously thinking at registering my new car with a latin plate as well... just for the fun of it...

1 minute ago, jumbo said:

I was seriously thinking at registering my new car with a latin plate as well... just for the fun of it..

Well please do so and  let us all know how you get on   in this thread..I would like "JG2000 Chonburi" so please don't take that one.

• Haha 1

TC plates are new 'Test Car' used by manufacturer /factory when they have pre-production vehicles, previously these cars would be out on 'red plate'

as the government try to phase out the red plates, they have made the new TC plates for the factories to use

This is separate from the latin alphabet plate that's valid only for going to Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, not valid for use within Thailand, they specifically tell that you must replace the plates with original Thai ones upon returning to Thailand, but some people think it's cool and leave them on and they hope that not too many police knows the law or bribe them away

Going south to Malaysia Singapore also has a separate system where they made a sticker of the 'translation' and stick them side by side with original Thai plates

Edited by digbeth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1