Video: Truck driver flies through the air to his death

webfact

6 hours ago, gerritkaew said:

screaming about crazy truck drivers??? maiby the car have a malfunction?

What i do know is when the STOPIT 'lady' who drive the accord, drove on the LEFT side of the road, like she /he in thailand have to do if there no traffic in front of you he would be alive!!!!!

So ratcatcher  ( I was relieved to see the young lady driver of the Accord is uninjured.) , your young lady was at fault there.....

what an utterly b##l c##p.

In Buriram, a bag of rice has fallen down. Maybe, this caused the lorry to swerve.

If you had watched the dashboard clip properly you could see at the beginning of the clip, the Lady has just overtaken another car. You still can see the bonnet and headlight on the left corner of the clip.
From the overtaking of this car to the impact of the lorry driver it took around 4 seconds and if you see this damage on the Accord its luckily on the A-pillar and not frontal on the windscreen. So, she has shown a good reaction to avoid this accident and didn't overreact to cause more harm.

All the blame goes to the lorry driver, why he didn't use his seat belt?
More questionable is, why is the drivers cab snapped out of its anchorage?
Poor quality or maintenance of the lorry?

19 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Now I ponder as to why so many people on Thai roads die every year

Most of the drivers /riders do not have licences. They have no idea. If we took all the unlicensed drivers and all of the untaxed vehicles of the roads we would not have a much quicker trip. The roads would be empty 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rickjza said:

Most of the drivers /riders do not have licences. They have no idea. If we took all the unlicensed drivers and all of the untaxed vehicles of the roads we would not have a much quicker trip. The roads would be empty 

The first thing I was told by my wife 11 years ago when I started driving here was, what you are saying exactly, hence the reason I avoid them as much as I can, and living in the bush helps.

To add to your comment, more police presence with, booze buses, speed cameras, red light cameras, radar detectors, enforcement of the law, higher fines, heavier jail terms, demerit point system and stricter motor registry policies would halve the death tolls to say the least, but corruption money and a lazy police force shows us how much the Thai's care about a life.

23 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

It looks like he flew out the passenger side window. That's quite an achievement in itself. Safety belts do save lives.

But I think it would have been easy to have waited for the next U-turn rather than trying to create your own.

..lets hope he knocked himself unconscious on his exit from the door window.

23 hours ago, mikebell said:

Could have been worse: he could have killed some innocent road users.  

..the Accord driver could easily have moved to the centre lane (where he should have been as he was not overtaking any vehicle)..and maybe the ejected driver may have survived..IMHO and RIP.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tandor said:

..the Accord driver could easily have moved to the centre lane (where he should have been as he was not overtaking any vehicle)..and maybe the ejected driver may have survived..IMHO and RIP.

The Accord driver was a lady...

She actually did make an effort to avoid the flying driver, which is pretty impressive at that speed !!

Normal reaction would be no reaction....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

I renewed my Thai drivers license of 2 years the other day and was surprised at the process, first up after providing all the paperwork that I provided last time, i.e. copy of passport, extension of stay, confirmation letter from immigration that I am staying where I am actually staying, yellow book, both driver licenses, (car & motorbike) and pink ID card, the person behind the counter then said doctor certificate, oh ok, so off we went to find a doctor to sign off that I was fit to drive, arrived as he was closing, oh, look I am closing 30 baht, I signed the paper, you just fill it in and give to them ok, but I have to be fair, he did ask if I had any problems and touched my pulse for about 3 seconds, probably to make sure I was still alive.

Back to the registry, go upstairs, now put foot on accelerator when it goes green press accelerator,  then press brake pedal when it goes red, then it was time for that contraption you put your nose in the middle and get the lights come on either left or right that are controlled by the person holding the control box, so I would say red, green and then amber, but then the lady said, no amber, oh ok then I said, orange, no, no orange, no amber, yellow, oh yellow, I said, as a few people started laguhing, oh ok, not going to argue you, red, green , yellow, then I did the colour blind test and went into see this video with the others there doing the same renewal of their licenses.

No one was in the room to make sure everyone was watching the video which was in Thai, naturally I do not understand Thai, nit noy, everyone was playing with their mobiles or having a chat. 

At the end, I was provided with my 5 year renewed license.

Now I ponder as to why so many people on Thai roads die every year, the process is archaic and out of touch by western standards by far, the doctors certificate was another, then we have the lack of police force out there enforcing the rules, suffice to say if this poor chap was wearing a seat belt he might be still alive to day, fortunately he didn't take anyone with him.

RIP 

Well that’s more than you have to do in Australia and I suspect many other countries to renew your licence, now it can be done online.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OttoPollmann said:

... More questionable is, why is the drivers cab snapped out of its anchorage?
Poor quality or maintenance of the lorry?

The cabs are on shock mounts and other vibration isolators. But when you hit a double concrete barricade at a speed well in excess of what is considered safe for an 18-wheeler, they snap off and the cab peels open. If he had a container load on, he would have had much more momentum and the cab would have been smeared across the barricade as the containers rocketed into oncoming traffic.

Here's a couple of my favorites...

On 6/11/2018 at 8:47 AM, 4MyEgo said:

I renewed my Thai drivers license of 2 years the other day and was surprised at the process, first up after providing all the paperwork that I provided last time, i.e. copy of passport, extension of stay, confirmation letter from immigration that I am staying where I am actually staying, yellow book, both driver licenses, (car & motorbike) and pink ID card, the person behind the counter then said doctor certificate, oh ok, so off we went to find a doctor to sign off that I was fit to drive, arrived as he was closing, oh, look I am closing 30 baht, I signed the paper, you just fill it in and give to them ok, but I have to be fair, he did ask if I had any problems and touched my pulse for about 3 seconds, probably to make sure I was still alive.

Back to the registry, go upstairs, now put foot on accelerator when it goes green press accelerator,  then press brake pedal when it goes red, then it was time for that contraption you put your nose in the middle and get the lights come on either left or right that are controlled by the person holding the control box, so I would say red, green and then amber, but then the lady said, no amber, oh ok then I said, orange, no, no orange, no amber, yellow, oh yellow, I said, as a few people started laguhing, oh ok, not going to argue you, red, green , yellow, then I did the colour blind test and went into see this video with the others there doing the same renewal of their licenses.

No one was in the room to make sure everyone was watching the video which was in Thai, naturally I do not understand Thai, nit noy, everyone was playing with their mobiles or having a chat. 

At the end, I was provided with my 5 year renewed license.

Now I ponder as to why so many people on Thai roads die every year, the process is archaic and out of touch by western standards by far, the doctors certificate was another, then we have the lack of police force out there enforcing the rules, suffice to say if this poor chap was wearing a seat belt he might be still alive to day, fortunately he didn't take anyone with him.

RIP 

I had similar process of renewing my license incl. the part with the video ( i think mine it was partly subtitelt ) was surprised about the thais in the room playing their smartphones or sleeping...but hey that is the thai way...i like it mak mak....no expensive supercontrol like in the west ..do as u like sabai sabai...one of the many reasons i stay here....that human approach in many fields...life is not ment to be a nanny state nazi camp.....well i agree sideeffects includet like highest death toll in the world regarding road accidents but hey the so called death of this phisical mental structure is part of the deal once in the world  .... the nanny nazi state citizens seems to ignore hide repress and avoid at all costs this  unavoidable essential fact of life...PS..i like the video and understand the reason behind it and the good intentions of the authoritys ..plus learned from it something that influenced my driving habbit...

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

The Accord driver was a lady...

She actually did make an effort to avoid the flying driver, which is pretty impressive at that speed !!

Normal reaction would be no reaction....

..man/lady irrelevant..what i saw on my monitor was the car with dashcam had 3 seconds prior warning as the truck began to 'jack-knife' and head to the central barrier..the driver should then have made some change of direction, ie to the middle lane at least..the driver didnt make any attempt to slow or diverge until the cab of the truck was actually protruding over the barrier into their lane at which point the driver came out of the door window and more than likely struck the front pillar of the Accord..i have no idea how much driving experience the driver had but they didnt act at all defensively...should have been well out of the way by then and slowed down considerably preparing for what was unfolding...IMHO

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tandor said:

..man/lady irrelevant..what i saw on my monitor was the car with dashcam had 3 seconds prior warning as the truck began to 'jack-knife' and head to the central barrier..the driver should then have made some change of direction, ie to the middle lane at least..the driver didnt make any attempt to slow or diverge until the cab of the truck was actually protruding over the barrier into their lane at which point the driver came out of the door window and more than likely struck the front pillar of the Accord..i have no idea how much driving experience the driver had but they didnt act at all defensively...should have been well out of the way by then and slowed down considerably preparing for what was unfolding...IMHO

You qualify as a Shaolin monk then ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Well that’s more than you have to do in Australia and I suspect many other countries to renew your licence, now it can be done online.

At least in Australia you know there is a police presence and the fear of being caught by camera's, radars and the like with appropriate penalties and demerit points/loss of license.

Just now, 4MyEgo said:

At least in Australia you know there is a police presence and the fear of being caught by camera's, radars and the like with appropriate penalties and demerit points/loss of license.

I'm in WA now and it's a real struggle to drive at 60 km/h.. It's neither 4th gear or 5th gear but somewhere in between !!!

9 hours ago, tandor said:

Are you f***ing kidding me? 

Maybe the truck driver should have stayed awake & had responsible control of his driving a 10 tonne truck!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, tandor said:

Look to your own actions first where your safety is concerned

Seat belt every time then just maybe, the maybe clause would not come into it

Of course I realise what a protracted performance belting up is

18 hours ago, oldlakey said:

Look to your own actions first where your safety is concerned

Seat belt every time then just maybe, the maybe clause would not come into it

Of course I realise what a protracted performance belting up is

seat belts, don't leave home without one.

I've used seat belts now for over 50 years - fitted an aircraft seat belt to my very first car and fitted belts to any car I owned until they came as standard. 

• Like 1

Yearrr, I really Hate it when I see Poor Truck drivers Killed or seriously injured like this, … you know the crushed cabs outside the Police stations, where fully loaded, they have rear ended another truck in the slow lane.  Probably when they went to sleep, early in the Morning after an all-night drive .....  Just poor men, trying to make a Living.  Like they do not want to be out there, I am sure.  ...

In this case, I would wonder if the unloaded, body of the Truck made it unstable ?  .... Or a steering problem. ... Yes, "Seatbelts" as Lady Die would also say, if she was still alive.

My Step son drives one, only a jumbo thank god, … A Bigger 6 wheel Logistics truck, where the sides come off for easy loading and delivery), …. He does 2 trips a day, from Bangpaharn, just north of Ayutthaya, to the Port at Rayong, loads and then delivers the load around the Sara bury , Ayutthaya area, twice a day. 5 hrs. A trip he says, … Plus of course …

He says getting through North Pattaya area, each way, is the worst part of it …. Probably near where this happened.

• Like 1