Retired paraplegic Brit: "I am like a prisoner in my own home"

webfact

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Read your post with interest Sheryl, my biggest problem is getting my wife to agree to move.

I was born here, my family are here, you want to move because you and my family do not get on, bla bla, bla.

We could move into Banphai, it is only 3 kilometers away, but she keeps saying a like village not city.

Regarding health care, we are only 3 ks away from the hospital, so distance is not a problem.

Poster said Colin had visited 50 times over 21 years ( about twice a year) I have friends who come over 3--4 times a year once 5 times so his trips are not a lot just average. Sometimes we are stuck with the choices we made in the past. You said your wife said you want to move because you don't get along with her family which is correct right? I remember you posting once that your wife had to work late and asked her sister to come over and get you something to eat and turn on aircon but  she never did. You had to sit there and wait till your wife got home--sister said I not help farang. I dated 4 Thai girls and things would have been ok with all 4's families. When I had a heart attack my wife's aunts/uncles, cousins, siblings, father all came down to my hospital in BKK from Phitchit, Pak Chong, Pattaya, Rayong and BKK to see me.It's not just the wife you have to check out. Maybe you can convince her to leave because of the safety issue but if not I guess your stuck there but better than being in a nursing home in old England without  a caring wife . Good luck to you anyway and hope you find a solution that works for you.

• Like 1

And yet some posters complain about "nanny states". Possibly Colin and his family may feel better and be better looked after if they were living in a "nanny state"!

Colin bears a heavy cross and I can only wonder how he does it. He seems to generally accept his lot in life but he is surely entitled to be angry from time to time about how Thai authorities have let him down.

Take care mate! Always interested in your comments - some make me smile.

Related image

You can do it :thumbsup:

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I am speechless to hear this story, I'm probably too sensitive for I must even make an effort to hold back my tears, but in my humble opinion I'm not the only one,

in any case, I'm with you wholeheartedly, and I'm not the only one either,  sure!  No need to add IMHO :smile:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

For your information mate, yes i came here a lot, after visiting 24 other countries found Thailand better than most of the others, and yes i came here for the ladies... You happy now.:cheesy:

very understandable...and nothing wrong with it...I think you see a lot in life and in Thailand ...why not write it all down in a book...?

Edited by free123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

3 km away from what level of hospital? If Ban Phai that is just a small community hospital, limited capacities.

Khon Kaen town would be a whole lot safer both in terms of crime and health care.

Re your wife, is she not at all spooked by the recent murder??

Yes Sheryl she is really spooked worse than me.

10 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Not sure about happy. I will give you some credit for admitting you were a sex tourist for many years. Good to luck ya.

First of all Colin always tried to add some humour in most of his posts, by the way, his prefered emoji and most used is  this one :cheesy: 

I think that the idea of a touch of humour does not even bother you when writing your kind answer.

• Like 1

Well i was asked about a photo, but declined, as i am thinking about my wifes safety.

I doubt a Thai will read your complaint to see your photo.

Besides, how many paraplegics Brits live in a village near Ban Phai south of Khon Kaen?

If it's that bad, move!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Your post makes interesting reading, but there are no children involved.

Also if we went to the UK, when i died my wif would come back here, no job, no pension, no future.

Better for her we stay here, she has a good  well paid job, and good pension.

Just take it easy and don't forget to think positive. Life's sometimes a female dog. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

His wife has suggested a move back to the UK - Colin is from Preston in the north west of England - but he has ruled this out due to his age and his injuries. 

How do age and injuries prevent this? I would have thought it would be money and preference.

Have thought about moving, but being paraplegic makes things a lot harder.

I cannot get on my bed without assistance, ok have an electric winch but still need help.

If we did move, the home would have t be adapted for me, ramps/ winches etc.

Also my wife was born only 100 meters from here, her family are all here.

What about discreetly complaining to the province authorities about the situation (the drug-family). Or is that a dumb idea?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If you're not happy, no point in staying there.

If she wants to stand in the way of you being happy, no point in taking her with you.

You've got to live for YOU.

"This place makes me unhappy, I'm moving, I'd like you to come with me ........ up to you"

Hah! When Colin says his wife is his "better half" he means she's the legs! 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, bannork said:

What a load of horse manure. 

Really? Then perhaps you can explain why John Stapleton's extensively researched 2015 book ''Thailand: Deadly Destination'' strongly asserted that the kingdom was the 'most dangerous holiday destination in the world'? And also why in 2017, the World Economic Forum listed Thailand as the 17th most dangerous country to visit or live in? 

3 hours ago, ScammedInThailand said:

Really? Then perhaps you can explain why John Stapleton's extensively researched 2015 book ''Thailand: Deadly Destination'' strongly asserted that the kingdom was the 'most dangerous holiday destination in the world'? And also why in 2017, the World Economic Forum listed Thailand as the 17th most dangerous country to visit or live in? 

Perhaps John Stapleton was trying to sell his book.

I can say that in 30 years here, the most dangerous aspect of life is by far the driving. I've never been mugged robbed, or a victim of a scam, but then I don't hang around places where riff-raff, both Thai and foreign, congregate.

Colin has been unlucky with his drug dealing fellow villagers and ineffective village head and police.

Time to contact Big Joke, anonymously of course!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I sympathise with this bloke but how can someone who spends 16 hours each day in bed and a lot of time contributing on the Thaivisa forums possibly know what is truly happening in the locale? He has not received any personal interaction with the druggie family he accuses of anti-social behaviour so better keep quiet, stay out of it and stop listening to gossip. (Only reacting to the original post, haven't read through the replies)

Edited by watso63
  • Sad 1