• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 0

Trang Man Confesses to Shooting Neighbour After Argument Escalates

2. 28

Tik Shiro Car Crash Sparks Demand for Alcohol Test Inquiry

3. 251

Are You A Sexpat Or Do You Ride The Backwards Morality Train?

4. 8

Thailand Live Sunday 13 October 2024

5. 45

Illegal land occupation

6. 251

7. 8

8. 8

9. 8

10. 0

University Student Dies After Collision with Truck in Chonburi

11. 0

Hotel Cleaner Arrested for Stealing From Guests in Patong

12. 251

13. 8

14. 0

AIS Prepay

15. 0

Police Raid Nonthaburi Karaoke Bar Catering to Vietnamese Nationals: Weapons & Drugs Seized

White House aide apologises for 'special place in hell' comment

webfact

White House aide apologises for 'special place in hell' comment

2018-06-12T225111Z_1_LOP000K293OMN_RTRMADP_BASEIMAGE-960X540_G7-SUMMIT-NAVARRO.JPG

White House trade adviser Peter Navarro apologized on Tuesday for saying there was a "special place in hell" for Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau after last week's Group of Seven summit, the Wall Street Journal reported. Colette Luke reports.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - White House trade adviser Peter Navarro apologised on Tuesday for saying there was a "special place in hell" for Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau after last week's Group of Seven summit, the Wall Street Journal reported.

At an event hosted by the Journal, Navarro said he had made a mistake, according to the newspaper.

"My mission was to send a strong signal of strength," Navarro said at the event, according to the Journal. "The problem is that in conveying that message I used language that was inappropriate."

The admission was a rare act of contrition from U.S. President Donald Trump's White House, where public apologies are few.

Canada reacted coolly to the apology, with Trudeau declining to answer when reporters asked him whether he accepted it.

"We will continue to conduct our diplomacy the Canadian way, that is, being positive and constructive and firm in defending the interests of our industries ... in diplomacy it doesn’t really matter about personal feelings and personal comments,” said Trade Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne when asked about the apology.

Navarro condemned Trudeau following the Canadian leader's news conference after his summit meeting with Trump and other world leaders from the Group of Seven.

"There is a special place in hell for any leader that engages in bad-faith diplomacy with President Donald J. Trump and then tries to stab him in the back on the way out the door and that’s what bad-faith Justin Trudeau did with that stunt press conference. That’s what weak, dishonest Justin Trudeau did," Navarro said on the "Fox News Sunday" programme.

A day before, White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow had also lashed out at Trudeau.

Both aides accused Trudeau of betraying Trump, a Republican, at a news conference held after the U.S. president had departed Canada. That was when Trudeau said Canada would take retaliatory steps in response to steel and aluminium tariffs imposed by Trump on Canada and other allies.

Before the apology, some U.S. lawmakers on Tuesday questioned the strong language the White House and Trump have used towards Canada in contrast to the praise he gave North Korea at Tuesday's summit in Singapore.

Chris Coons, a Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations, told MSNBC Trump had welcomed authoritarian leaders in other countries even as he "picks fights as he just did at the G7 with our longest, oldest closest allies: democracies, developed Western countries like Canada."

Republican U.S. Senator Tom Cotton, however, said North Korea's leader could also face harsh words.

"If Kim Jong Un reverses his commitments ... then what the president said about Justin Trudeau will be repeated 10-fold about Kim Jong Un," Cotton told the Hugh Hewitt syndicated radio talk show.

(Reporting by Susan Heavey in Washington, David Ljunggren and Andrea Hopkins in Toronto; editing by Jonathan Oatis and Tom Brown)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-06-13

Stupid thing to say, and good of him to apologize but it all starts with the boss. Underlings see tRump insult everyone from Meryl Streep to Rosie O'Donnell (except Vlady P.) so they think they can do it too.

Even Larry Kudlow stepped way over the line with his comments, and his subsequent heart attack might allow him time to reflect on how little he sold his soul for?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Bad move by Trudeau. He went behind everybody's back after the G7 meeting. Not good.

"trump" arrived late. "trump" left early. He made it crystal clear he didn't even want to be there and he constantly shows disdain for such organizations. His specialty is breaking up things, not building things.

Who was disrespecting who? 

Again, sorry Canada.

The USA has been taken over by some kind of hostile alien force. He's out of control. He does NOT represent the majority of Americans but he does have a massive amount of power, he acts like a dictator, and people in his own party (the only ones with any power to check him) are just too CHICKEN. 

"Add it all up and you have a president tearing apart a range of longstanding accords and relationships at once — without any serious expert input — just to serve his short-term needs, satisfy his unhinged and now unrestrained instincts or feed his hatred of his predecessor."

http://www.paywallnews.com/life/Opinion-|-Trump--Trying-to-Remake-America-in-His-Own-Image.Hybia7kRxX.html

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

When I look at these old church paintings by the old masters, the people in hell always look like they're having a much better time.  Booze, fornication,...  Give me that any time over angels playing violins.  

Probably it's that he was referring to but it came out wrong. 

39 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Bad move by Trudeau. He went behind everybody's back after the G7 meeting. Not good.

Strange, since the other 6 agree that Trump's interpretation was wrong.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JCauto said:

So what exactly is it that Trudeau has done that is so terrible that he deserves eternal suffering? Hyperbolic much?

Please don't let the same sort of ridiculous dialogue that characterizes politics down South creep into Canada. I can still engage my Right-Wing relatives and friends in reasonable discussion where we conclude that we have differences of opinion without the anger and intolerance. But I can see a lot of people on the fringes wanting to push the discussion further into the hatred zone. Look how productive that's been!

Obviously the hyperbole was tongue in cheek. I don't think he should get a special place in hell, just a regular place would be fine. 

He's a prime minister who is more interested in gender issues than making the economy work, he is expanding the deficit at a record pace, he paid an Al Queda murderer 10 million for getting arrested for killing a non combatant. And he really just annoys the heck out of me knowing that he only got in there because his dad was a legend to Eastern Canadians. The guy himself is likely unable to balance a check book. It's like being ruled by an obnoxious prince who is more interested in painting pretty PC cultural Marxist rainbows instead of helping Canada compete in the global economy. 

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Obviously the hyperbole was tongue in cheek. I don't think he should get a special place in hell, just a regular place would be fine. 

He's a prime minister who is more interested in gender issues than making the economy work, he is expanding the deficit at a record pace, he paid an Al Queda murderer 10 million for getting arrested for killing a non combatant. And he really just annoys the heck out of me knowing that he only got in there because his dad was a legend to Eastern Canadians. The guy himself is likely unable to balance a check book. It's like being ruled by an obnoxious prince who is more interested in painting pretty PC cultural Marxist rainbows instead of helping Canada compete in the global economy. 

That's exactly the kind of ridiculous dialogue the post you responded to was talking about.

5 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Right, that was the sort of hyperbole I was talking about.

Happy to discuss Canadian political issues, although I'm frankly much more invested in American ones which have mattered a whole lot more. But if that's the sort of position/analysis we can expect, not sure how productive it might be. But I'll give it a go anyway. 

Deficit

Here's the deficits between 1963 and 2015. As I recall, the Harper Government of the Progressive Conservatives were in power between 2006 and 2015. Afterwards, there's a link with the deficits of 2016 and 2017 for which Trudeau is responsible. I've taken the liberty of copying the graph from the second reference showing the Government Deficit by year.

image.png.9710f64d6cff80c2465030db369ee56f.png

Looks to me like that deficit dove prior to 2015 at quite the drop to almost 4% of GDP. So that's not correct.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/multimedia/canada-s-deficits-and-surpluses-1963-to-2015-1.3042571

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/government-budget

Al Qaida Guy

Choosing to participate in the terrible and illegal actions of the US Government post-9/11 was an error by the Canadian security services who shared unreliable intelligence with the Americans in full knowledge of what the Americans were doing, then sent in questions for the interrogators to ask. Whether Omar Khadr was a Terrorist was never determined conclusively as any evidence obtained was done under torture. We in Canada do not condone torture and do follow the UN Human Rights Convention and Geneva Convention. These acts are explicitly illegal under Canadian and International Law. The Government security services supplied the incorrect information by which the 3 guys who just got $31 million in compensation were detained and tortured for. These things all happened under Harper's term. 

Princeling

Yeah, sure. As we see increasingly in politics from all political sides, the public appears to prefer famous amateurs to professional policy makers. Part of the increasingly dumb society we are becoming.

Marxist Rainbows

Yes, I know social progress is anathema to old white guys, but our world is no longer. It was fun while it lasted, and all, but we were not responsible stewards and it's time to let other people get involved. One of the many lessons America can learn from Canada is tolerance for diversity and ensuring that there is opportunity for all kinds of people. I prefer that those who are different and pursuing different lifestyles or are handicapped or otherwise having difficulty can make a living and be provided the kind of social and health services that enable that to happen. That way they're more productive and society as a whole prospers. Trudeau stood up to the bullying of Trump over his ridiculous sanctions and has received massive support from elsewhere in the world as a result, and has had his prestige increased as well. Smart political move to slam the President for the lying and ridiculous trade tirades he and his acolytes embarked upon. There are costs to these things, and they'll be born by the Americans while the Canadians strengthen trade with Asia and the EU. About time too, we're too dependent on an unstable America. The Royal Bank of Canada does not even OFFER Euro Accounts. Let Trump turn to coal, guns, prayer and dirty deals with dictators and dodgy regimes.

• Like 1

I'll give you the deficit spending point. 

The other points are mainly your take on it. Changing social norms is not always progress. The Al Quaida payout was exceptionally offensive to the majority of Canadians, and it doesn't matter that electing celebrities is becoming normal. It's still foolish. That being said, quite e few celebrities have better qualifications to be a national leader than Trudeau.

19 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I'll give you the deficit spending point. 

The other points are mainly your take on it. Changing social norms is not always progress. The Al Quaida payout was exceptionally offensive to the majority of Canadians, and it doesn't matter that electing celebrities is becoming normal. It's still foolish. That being said, quite e few celebrities have better qualifications to be a national leader than Trudeau.

Well, er, of course they're my take, that's what forum debate is. Normally, if one wants to pursue those points they offer counterpoints which reflect their take. But whatever, as I noted, I'm not that interested in Canadian politics anyway. I do appreciate though when counterpoints are offered in a measured and reasonable way such as in this post, which contribute to discussion.

16 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Well, er, of course they're my take, that's what forum debate is. Normally, if one wants to pursue those points they offer counterpoints which reflect their take. But whatever, as I noted, I'm not that interested in Canadian politics anyway. I do appreciate though when counterpoints are offered in a measured and reasonable way such as in this post, which contribute to discussion.

The counterpoints are there in a very short form, taking into account that the topic is really something for a different thread.