Milk sell by dates.

Gandtee

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

You're way, way overdoing it.

There may be some issues with milk intake, but other lifestyle issues have much more consequences.

As with all scientific evidence and expert opinion, it is always up to us whether we take heed of it or not. Regarding milk I do take it seriously, but you don’t need to take my word on it. There’s been so much published information about the dangers of drinking milk.

For example regarding cancer, according to Dr Samuel Epstein (Professor Emeritus of Environmental and Occupational Medicine at the School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, and Chairman of the Cancer Prevention Coalition. He is an internationally recognized authority on the causes and prevention of cancer, and has published some 350 scientific articles and 15 books):

“… About 20 percent of our milk is genetically engineered. Technically this is known as rBGH, the small r stands for recombinant, BGH, is bovine growth hormone… This [milk] contains very high levels of a natural growth factor known as IGF-1…

IGF-1 stands for Insulin-like Growth Factor 1. So growth factor 1 is a natural growth factor and is responsible for normal growth but when you drink rBGH milk, you have very, very high levels of this natural growth factor.

When you drink it, the IGF-1 survives digestion and is readily absorbed from your small intestine, into your blood.

Increased levels of IGF-1 have been shown to increase risks of breast cancer and we have about 20 publications showing this; risk of colon cancer [shown] by about 10 publications; prostate cancer by about another 10 publications.

And a further concern: increased levels of IGF-1 block natural defense mechanisms against early cancers, [mechanisms] known as ‘apoptosis.’”

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Rubbish. Yes, Milk powder is imported, but Thailand actually has an extensive dairy industry, largest in SE asia. Here is a link, many others easily found.

http://ap.fftc.agnet.org/ap_db.php?id=730&print=1

Thanks for that link.

Interesting to note in the report the emphasis put on the importance of the school market for the Thai dairy industry - but not on the health of the children per se! I quote from the report:

“In 2013, School Milk is a vital part of the Thai dairy market, so much so that it accounts for about 40% of the total liquid milk market. As a result, school milk days has been expanded from the 200 days school calendar to 230 feeding days, with an extra 30 days of milk for consumption during the holidays. The economic benefits and the support of the national development is less known. Without school milk to provide a stable platform by which to support the growth of the Thai dairy industry, the Thai dairy will definitely not have experienced such growth.”

Conclusions

“To provide a long-term market for Thai dairy farmers, the DPO initiated the school milk feeding program among children under 12 years old. The program introduces milk to the diet of Thai children and develops in them a lifelong milk-consumption habit. Nowadays, 40% of quantity of liquid milk are produced in Thailand for this program.”

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Correct answer has been given quite a few posts ago already.

Actually no. The first coding suggestion is erronious. Nobody should code Jan as 1 but of course TIT so who knows.

I did not read the rest because I've been heat processing food products for 40 years. The other guys covered it.

I really don't think that Growth Hormone is used in animal foods. Even if it was, it cannot be transferred to humans in such an easy & the simplistic way you suggest.

Try not to believe everything you read.

As for milk being 'bad' for you. Nope.

Edited by faraday
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, faraday said:

I really don't think that Growth Hormone is used in animal foods. Even if it was, it cannot be transferred to humans in such an easy & the simplistic way you suggest.

Try not to believe everything you read.

As for milk being 'bad' for you. Nope.

Sorry to say, but you are so wrong. Have you ever read any research papers on milk consumption or growth hormone?

I'm not going to waste any more time arguing about this subject, because it is fruitless if people won't even begin to look at the evidence. This is a subject of the greatest importance to anyone with children in Thai schools, so I'll end with just a few quotations for those willing to open their eyes:

The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published results of a 65-year follow-up study showing dairy consumption affects biological pathways associated with carcinogenesis. They found a diet rich in dairy products during childhood is associated with a greater risk of colorectal cancer in adulthood. High childhood total dairy intake was associated with a near-tripling in the risk of colorectal cancer compared with low intake, independent of meat, fruit, and vegetable intakes and socioeconomic indicators. Milk intake showed a similar association.

(van der Pols JC, Bain C, Gunnell D, Smith GD, Frobisher C, Martin RM. Childhood dairy intake and adult cancer risk: 65-y follow-up of the Boyd Orr cohort. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007; 86(6):1722-1729.)

“The research is clear. The consumption of cow’s milk and milk products is linked to increased levels of IGF-1, which in turn are linked to various cancers.”

https://www.whitelies.org.uk/health-nutrition/insulin-growth-factor-1-igf-1

“Your diet influences the level of IGF-1 in your blood, according to the Physician’s Committee for Responsible Medicine (PRCM). A diet high in calories or animal protein increases your IGF-1 levels. Milk appears to raise IGF-1 as well. The PCRM explains that evidence from clinical data found that drinking three 8-ounce glasses of milk for 12 weeks causes a 10 percent increase in IGF-1 levels. The concern is that if milk raises IGF-1 levels, then it may lead to an increased risk for cancer.”

https://www.livestrong.com/article/500398-which-types-of-milk-have-the-most-igf-1/

“When cow’s milk is fed to people, IGF-1 levels also increase.  Studies funded by the dairy industry show a 10% increase in IGF-1 levels in adolescent girls from one pint daily and the same 10% increase for postmenopausal women from 3 servings per day of nonfat milk or 1% milk.

IGF-1 is one of the most powerful promoters of cancer growth ever discovered for cancers of the breast, prostate, lung, and colon.  Overstimulation of growth by IGF-1 leads to premature aging too—and reducing IGF-1 levels is “anti-aging.”

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/mar/dairy.htm

Last word from Dr McDougall:

“With a $206.5 million annual budget dedicated to confusing people and covering up the truth for the sake of profits, and with the current political climate, there is no hope of regulating the dairy industry—or more appropriately for such a hazardous substance, outlawing these cow products for human consumption.21 Fortunately, thinking people are freeing themselves and their families from sickness and obesity by learning that human nutritional needs are far removed from those of baby cows.”

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

There was a topic on here in Thaivisa a while ago about this not too long ago, and it was said that this was not the case. Milk like Dutch Mill etc was said to be real milk.

Buy a bottle, put in in your fridge unopened.

Open it one month later, if it's rotten it's real, if it's good, it's milk powder.

Dutch Mill is usually good for two months or more.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Cheops said:

Hi Estrada, 

thanks for the good info.

I have a question. I used to drink a lot of pasteurized milk in the Netherlands, but when I drink pasteurized milk in Thailand my stomach gets upset. Whenever I'm back in the Netherlands and drink milk I have no problems. Is there something in the Thai milk that is not in the  Dutch milk? The milk here also tastes not as good as in the Netherlands (in my opinion). Furthermore, milk in the Netherlands is cheaper than in Thailand, but that's another discussion. 

You are not the first person to say milk does not taste the same as in , well, our countreys ,the problem is the cattle feed ,the cattle concentrate  is a lower energy than  what is feed to our cows, to produce a high energy feed, good quality raw ingredients are needed, not available in Thailand ,they would have to be imported  and that would push up the price of a concentrate feed a farmer would buy , making it almost not economical to produce.

But the biggest problem is the roughage the cows eat, in our country, it will be grass in the summer, and maize or grass silage in the winter both of good quality, here in Thailand it is rice straw, low protein and energy,.

If the cow is on a  high energy and protein diet the protein and fat will be up, so will milk quality .that is why they is no "top of the milk " in Thailand a bad diet for the cows.

At one time Thailand used, I think it was USA standards,  but the farmers could not reach those standards, so Thailand implemented they own a few points lower than our standards

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, it's made from milk powder imported from NZ and China.

There are no dairy cows producing 'end product' milk in Thailand.

Chok Chai have a few cows, but that doesn't get sold as milk.

What is it about farangs in Thailand ,most seem to think all milk is powered imports from China, wrong, as has been said  at least 40 % mlik in Thailand is fresh ,all you buy in 7-11 ect ,your CP Maiji, Duch Mill, ect the Thai - Denmark company is 100% fresh milk the indusrtry is a muilltie millon baht one ,makeing a lot more  money for Thai farmers, than growing crops . 

That is all I am going to say, for in the next few weeks some one else will be saying All milk in Thailand is impoted powdered milk ,like the bulls used for breeding (,and Thailand has a very good bull breeding program ),and what they put out they back end will be BS  .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

Duch Mill, ect the Thai - Denmark company is 100% fresh milk

So why does Dutch Mill milk last 2 months in the fridge.

In the UK the fresh milk is off after 1 week.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

As a slight aside, no milk sold in Thailand as 'fresh' is actually fresh milk as we purchase in the West. I think it must  all be UHT or Long Life milk. I discovered this some years ago by accident when once going away from my room for a whole month and leaving a bottle of milk, Dutch Mill, I think it was, in the fridge with only about 1/2" or 12.5mm of milk left in the bottom of the bottle. Now I dont drink much milk anyway. Only a little in tea and coffee. So that bottle must have been purchased already a week or possibly 2 before I went away. So when I returned I shook the bottle and it looked OK; not turned to yoghurt or mouldy as u might expect. It also smelled OK, and when I poured a drop out it tasted fine. So I used it in my tea or coffee with no ill effects. So this cannot be fresh milk. By the way it must also have been full fat milk because I do not like low fat milk which I dont like.

....Just noticed your post above BritMan too...... So u have found the same thing.

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 7:39 PM, swissie said:

PS: Expiration dates on milk are only meaningfull if the "refrigeration-chain" was never broken. Mind you, this is Thailand.:wink:

UHT milk cartons do not need to be refrigerated. A concept especially Americans don't seem to understand.

14 hours ago, Antonymous said:

As with all scientific evidence and expert opinion, it is always up to us whether we take heed of it or not. Regarding milk I do take it seriously, but you don’t need to take my word on it. There’s been so much published information about the dangers of drinking milk.

For example regarding cancer, according to Dr Samuel Epstein (Professor Emeritus of Environmental and Occupational Medicine at the School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago, and Chairman of the Cancer Prevention Coalition. He is an internationally recognized authority on the causes and prevention of cancer, and has published some 350 scientific articles and 15 books):

“… About 20 percent of our milk is genetically engineered. Technically this is known as rBGH, the small r stands for recombinant, BGH, is bovine growth hormone… This [milk] contains very high levels of a natural growth factor known as IGF-1…

IGF-1 stands for Insulin-like Growth Factor 1. So growth factor 1 is a natural growth factor and is responsible for normal growth but when you drink rBGH milk, you have very, very high levels of this natural growth factor.

When you drink it, the IGF-1 survives digestion and is readily absorbed from your small intestine, into your blood.

Increased levels of IGF-1 have been shown to increase risks of breast cancer and we have about 20 publications showing this; risk of colon cancer [shown] by about 10 publications; prostate cancer by about another 10 publications.

And a further concern: increased levels of IGF-1 block natural defense mechanisms against early cancers, [mechanisms] known as ‘apoptosis.’”

Yes, and even more scientific studies that indicate your conclusions are not correct and lack scientific basis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Antonymous, if milk was as harmful as you & some of the 'science' you have quoted, there would be considerably more illness.

There isn't though.

Growth Hormone does not pass to humans, as you suggest it does.

It just cannot.

59 minutes ago, faraday said:

Antonymous, if milk was as harmful as you & some of the 'science' you have quoted, there would be considerably more illness.

There isn't though.

Growth Hormone does not pass to humans, as you suggest it does.

It just cannot.

Faraday, even if you ignore the  concern that IGF-1 from cow’s milk could increase normal blood IGF-1 levels and so increase the risk of certain cancers linked to IGF-1, you are apparently unaware that there are many small peptides and amino acids that are present in milk that potently stimulate hepatic IGF-1 expression and pituitary growth hormone release. In other words, drinking milk increases IGF-1 production from the liver which in turn leads to an increase in the levels present in the blood. According to Professor Jeffrey Holly, Professor of Clinical Sciences at the University of Bristol, his studies and those of others have consistently found that, of all the components of human diet, milk and dairy products have the greatest effects on IGF-1 levels.

So it may not be the presence of IGF-1 in milk that matters but rather the impact of milk on stimulating human IGF-1 production within individuals who consume milk and dairy products. Whether cow’s milk ingestion increases IGF-1 levels in humans by bovine IGF-1 crossing the gut wall, or other components in milk initiating a rapid rise in human IGF-1 production from the liver, the net effect is the same; if you drink cow’s milk, you end up with higher levels of IGF-1 in your blood, which in turn are linked to various cancers.

All the independent research proves that the earth is round. If you want to believe it is flat, even though there is no research proof to support your claim, that is up to you. But for the sake of your children, I hope that you will allow them to become educated on the subject.

On 6/15/2018 at 8:35 AM, Cereal said:

Stop buying that brand and buy a brand that has an expiration date that makes sense.

But the point is in general people like being mistreated,  lied to, and frustrated by miss information and beauracracy. 

I don't understand why people don't demand more and be disciplined about it. Demand the right things are done by consumers. 

Complacency puts people in a calm state of mind so they sleep at night I guess. 

Mai pen rai. 

• Like 1

Does milk intake promote prostate cancer initiation
or progression via effects on insulin-like growth factors (IGFs)?

" No strong associations were observed for IGF-II, IGFBP-1 or IGFBP-2 with either milk intake or prostate cancer risk. "

Ok, this is my last comment. You are, in my opinion, reading more into Milk & harmful effects, than there really is hard, reproducible, evidence for.

Words like 'moderate' & 'maybe' do not prove a damned thing.

On the other hand, we do need to keep & open mind, & also employ critical thinking.

Some of the Vegan/Vegetarian 'communists' :laugh::smile: want to prove they are right.

Anyway, I could go on, but gotta go have a XXL Milkshake.:laugh:

Enjoy the rest of your day.

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I drink a lot of milk and don't have acne, constipation or ear infections.

No cancer or diabetes (yet) either.

Another 8 years and I'll probably be dead of old age, so they'd better hurry up coming.

Yeah and remember all the studies about eating too many eggs which can cause high cholesterol and heart disease. And the government food pyramid that says eat loads of grains and small amounts of meat and fats? Turns out the healthiest way to eat is by turning the food pyramid upside down and eating as many eggs per week as you like since they are practically pure protein and some fat. NEVER accept as incontrovertible truth something the government tells you. Whatever they say is only because some lobbyist has paid them to promote their agenda. That goes for milk as well. Ohh and 90+% of people who are unable to digest cows milk are unable because the milk fat molecule is too large. It is that large fat molecule that makes cream float to the top. When those same people drink Goats milk, they have no problem digesting the smaller fat molecule. 

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I drink a lot of milk and don't have acne, constipation or ear infections.

No cancer or diabetes (yet) either.

Another 8 years and I'll probably be dead of old age, so they'd better hurry up coming.

Yeah and remember all the studies about eating too many eggs which can cause high cholesterol and heart disease. And the government food pyramid that says eat loads of grains and small amounts of meat and fats? Turns out the healthiest way to eat is by turning the food pyramid upside down and eating as many eggs per week as you like since they are practically pure protein and some fat. NEVER accept as incontrovertible truth something the government tells you. Whatever they say is only because some lobbyist has paid them to promote their agenda. That goes for milk as well. Ohh and 90+% of people who are unable to digest cows milk are unable because the milk fat molecule is too large. It is that large fat molecule that makes cream float to the top. When those same people drink Goats milk, they have no problem digesting the smaller fat molecule. 

3 hours ago, Antonymous said:

Faraday, even if you ignore the  concern that IGF-1 from cow’s milk could increase normal blood IGF-1 levels and so increase the risk of certain cancers linked to IGF-1, you are apparently unaware that there are many small peptides and amino acids that are present in milk that potently stimulate hepatic IGF-1 expression and pituitary growth hormone release. In other words, drinking milk increases IGF-1 production from the liver which in turn leads to an increase in the levels present in the blood. According to Professor Jeffrey Holly, Professor of Clinical Sciences at the University of Bristol, his studies and those of others have consistently found that, of all the components of human diet, milk and dairy products have the greatest effects on IGF-1 levels.

So it may not be the presence of IGF-1 in milk that matters but rather the impact of milk on stimulating human IGF-1 production within individuals who consume milk and dairy products. Whether cow’s milk ingestion increases IGF-1 levels in humans by bovine IGF-1 crossing the gut wall, or other components in milk initiating a rapid rise in human IGF-1 production from the liver, the net effect is the same; if you drink cow’s milk, you end up with higher levels of IGF-1 in your blood, which in turn are linked to various cancers.

All the independent research proves that the earth is round. If you want to believe it is flat, even though there is no research proof to support your claim, that is up to you. But for the sake of your children, I hope that you will allow them to become educated on the subject.

All I can say is that in the Netherlands I grew up with drinking a lot of milk, so as many other Dutch people and the life expectancy for Dutch people is quite high.

Do you eat fruit and veggies in Thailand? I bet that there are a lot more damaging chemicals in this than in milk.

This is from a UK website about cancer research: Food controversies

Milk and dairy are good sources of calcium and protein which are needed as part of a healthy, balanced diet. Calcium is important for teeth and bone health.

Studies looking into the link between cancer and dairy products have not given clear results. There is evidence that dairy products could reduce the risk of bowel cancer, but we cannot say for sure that this is the case. There is no strong evidence linking dairy products to any other types of cancer. We need further research to find out more about the links between dairy products and cancer risk.

Hormones in milk

In some countries, a hormone called bovine somatotrophin (BST) is used to speed up or increase the production of milk or meat. In the UK and the rest of Europe, farmers are banned from using this hormone, and the import of meat from countries, including the US, where this hormone is used is also banned. This ban is on animal welfare grounds and not because there is any proven effect on human health. Independent health bodies including the European Union Scientific Committee have reviewed the evidence on BST and found it does not pose any harm to human health.

The Food Standards Agency regulates the content of dairy products, including milk. This set of standards makes sure these products are safe to use.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I drink milk regularly here and have never had a problem, it can be in your fridge for a week to a fortnight very easily without going sour.

The milk I drink for sure is not sour. I have a problem with fresh milk in Thailand, even if just bought new and way before the expire date. I didn't try all the brand names, but a few of the big names. Not sure if people know that Foremost is a Dutch company, but the milk from them in Thailand can't compare to the milk they produce in the Netherlands (mother company is Friesland foods).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Antonymous said:

Sorry to say, but you are so wrong. Have you ever read any research papers on milk consumption or growth hormone?

I'm not going to waste any more time arguing about this subject, because it is fruitless if people won't even begin to look at the evidence. This is a subject of the greatest importance to anyone with children in Thai schools, so I'll end with just a few quotations for those willing to open their eyes:

The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition published results of a 65-year follow-up study showing dairy consumption affects biological pathways associated with carcinogenesis. They found a diet rich in dairy products during childhood is associated with a greater risk of colorectal cancer in adulthood. High childhood total dairy intake was associated with a near-tripling in the risk of colorectal cancer compared with low intake, independent of meat, fruit, and vegetable intakes and socioeconomic indicators. Milk intake showed a similar association.

(van der Pols JC, Bain C, Gunnell D, Smith GD, Frobisher C, Martin RM. Childhood dairy intake and adult cancer risk: 65-y follow-up of the Boyd Orr cohort. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007; 86(6):1722-1729.)

“The research is clear. The consumption of cow’s milk and milk products is linked to increased levels of IGF-1, which in turn are linked to various cancers.”

https://www.whitelies.org.uk/health-nutrition/insulin-growth-factor-1-igf-1

“Your diet influences the level of IGF-1 in your blood, according to the Physician’s Committee for Responsible Medicine (PRCM). A diet high in calories or animal protein increases your IGF-1 levels. Milk appears to raise IGF-1 as well. The PCRM explains that evidence from clinical data found that drinking three 8-ounce glasses of milk for 12 weeks causes a 10 percent increase in IGF-1 levels. The concern is that if milk raises IGF-1 levels, then it may lead to an increased risk for cancer.”

https://www.livestrong.com/article/500398-which-types-of-milk-have-the-most-igf-1/

“When cow’s milk is fed to people, IGF-1 levels also increase.  Studies funded by the dairy industry show a 10% increase in IGF-1 levels in adolescent girls from one pint daily and the same 10% increase for postmenopausal women from 3 servings per day of nonfat milk or 1% milk.

IGF-1 is one of the most powerful promoters of cancer growth ever discovered for cancers of the breast, prostate, lung, and colon.  Overstimulation of growth by IGF-1 leads to premature aging too—and reducing IGF-1 levels is “anti-aging.”

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/mar/dairy.htm

Last word from Dr McDougall:

“With a $206.5 million annual budget dedicated to confusing people and covering up the truth for the sake of profits, and with the current political climate, there is no hope of regulating the dairy industry—or more appropriately for such a hazardous substance, outlawing these cow products for human consumption.21 Fortunately, thinking people are freeing themselves and their families from sickness and obesity by learning that human nutritional needs are far removed from those of baby cows.”

IGF-1 is a hormone which is ALREADY present in humans and indeed maybe linked to cancers.

The important thing is that the IGF-1 in milk most likely (studies show this) is NOT ABSORBED by the human body.

There is NO conclusive evidence that milk is bad for you!

The FDA[9] World Health Organization,[4] and National Institutes of Health[10] have independently stated that dairy products and meat from rBST-treated cows are safe for human consumption. The American Cancer Society issued a report declaring, "The evidence for potential harm to humans [from rBGH milk] is inconclusive.

Human health

The effects of rBGH on human health is an ongoing debate, in part due to the lack of conclusive evidence. A few of the most debated issues include:

IGF-1 is a hormone found in humans that is responsible for growth promotion, protein synthesis, and insulin actions over the lifecycle. The hormone has been shown to influence the growth of tumors in some studies and may be linked to the development of prostate,[38]colorectal, breast,[39][40] and other cancers.[41][42][43]

IGF-1 is also found in milk. Previous research has proposed an increase of IGF-1 in rBST-treated cows, but this claim is currently not substantiated. In addition, no current evidence shows that orally consumed IGF-1 is absorbed in humans and the dietary amount is negligible when compared to what the body produces on its own. “IGF-1 in milk is not denatured (inactivated) by pasteurization. The extent to which intact, active IGF-1 is absorbed through the human digestive tract remains uncertain.

The American Cancer Society has reviewed the evidence concerning IGF-1 in milk from rBST-treated cows, and found that: "While there may be a link between IGF-1 blood levels and cancer, the exact nature of this link remains unclear. Some studies have shown that adults who drink milk have about 10% higher levels of IGF-1 in their blood than those who drink little or no milk. But this same finding has also been reported in people who drink soymilk. This suggests that the increase in IGF-1 may not be specific to cow's milk, and may be caused by protein, minerals, or some other factors in milk unrelated to rBGH. There have been no direct comparisons of IGF-1 levels in people who drink ordinary cow's milk vs. milk stimulated by rBGH. At this time, it is not clear that drinking milk, produced with or without rBGH treatment, increases blood IGF-1 levels into a range that might be of concern regarding cancer risk or other health effects.... IGF-1 concentrations are slightly higher (to variable degrees, depending on the study) in milk from cows treated with rBGH than in untreated milk. This variability is presumed to be much less than the normal range of variation of IGF-1 in cow's milk due to natural factors, but more research is needed."[37]

Research is supportive of milk supplying vital nutrients used in childhood development.[44] As of 2014, evidence does not link rBST-treated milk with adverse health outcomes for children.[45] Several studies have looked at the relationship between type 1 diabetes and infant feeding. Environmental triggers that may elicit an autoimmune reaction is the mechanism in which is being studied. Some studies have shown early exposure to bovine milk may predispose an infant to type 1 diabetes, whereas other studies show no causality.[46]

The American Society of Animal Science published an article in 2014 after reviewing health issues arising from the rBST debate. The article indicated “there are no new human health issues related to the use of rbST by the dairy industry. Use of rbST has no effect on the micro- and macrocomposition of milk. Also, no evidence exists that rbST use has increased human exposure to antibiotic residues in milk. Concerns that IGF-I present in milk could have biological effects on humans have been allayed by studies showing that oral consumption of IGF-I by humans has little or no biological activity. Additionally, concentrations of IGF-I in digestive tract fluids of humans far exceed any IGF-I consumed when drinking milk. Furthermore, chronic supplementation of cows with rbST does not increase concentrations of milk IGF-I outside the range typically observed for effects of farm, parity, or stage of lactation. Use of rbST has not affected expression of retroviruses in cattle or posed an increased risk to human health from retroviruses in cattle. Furthermore, risk for development of type 1 or type 2 diabetes has not increased in children or adults consuming milk and dairy products from rbST-supplemented cows. Overall, milk and dairy products provide essential nutrients and related benefits in health maintenance and the prevention of chronic diseases.” [47]

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, kickstart said:

You are not the first person to say milk does not taste the same as in , well, our countreys ,the problem is the cattle feed ,the cattle concentrate  is a lower energy than  what is feed to our cows, to produce a high energy feed, good quality raw ingredients are needed, not available in Thailand ,they would have to be imported  and that would push up the price of a concentrate feed a farmer would buy , making it almost not economical to produce.

But the biggest problem is the roughage the cows eat, in our country, it will be grass in the summer, and maize or grass silage in the winter both of good quality, here in Thailand it is rice straw, low protein and energy,.

If the cow is on a  high energy and protein diet the protein and fat will be up, so will milk quality .that is why they is no "top of the milk " in Thailand a bad diet for the cows.

At one time Thailand used, I think it was USA standards,  but the farmers could not reach those standards, so Thailand implemented they own a few points lower than our standards

Thanks, never thought of that, but indeed the food of the cows has a lot of influence. Furthermore I don't know if they put extra chemicals to make the milk last longer. I think the milk in Holland goes sour more quickly and expire dates are more short than in Thailand (I'm talking fresh milk only, I don't like and don't drink the carton milk).

22 hours ago, possum1931 said:

There was a topic on here in Thaivisa a while ago about this not too long ago, and it was said that this was not the case. Milk like Dutch Mill etc was said to be real milk.

I'm a milk drinker and  I think the milk sold in Thailand is quite good.

It's for darn sure the  Chokchai Farms milk isn't  from power. along with Dutch Mill. and some other brands.

I wonder why  the BritMan chooses  to post such nonsense.

13 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I'm a milk drinker and  I think the milk sold in Thailand is quite good.

It's for darn sure the  Chokchai Farms milk isn't  from power. along with Dutch Mill. and some other brands.

I wonder why  the BritMan chooses  to post such nonsense.

I agree with you, I think that Chokchai milk is the best.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stevenl said:

UHT versus pasteurisation.

I once met a young chemist from NZ in a bar in Bangkok, he was visiting Thailand in his work, he told me that Dutch milk was powder milk as well as another brand, I forgot the name, he was also exporting to Thailand.  In any case I think that both natural whole milk or powder milk taste almost the same. 

I simply prefer the Magnolia Full fat milk as it produces a better foamy milk from my french push coffee maker.

Edited by yimlitnoy

On 6/16/2018 at 11:32 PM, yimlitnoy said:

I once met a young chemist from NZ in a bar in Bangkok, he was visiting Thailand in his work, he told me that Dutch milk was powder milk as well as another brand, I forgot the name, he was also exporting to Thailand.  In any case I think that both natural whole milk or powder milk taste almost the same. 

I simply prefer the Magnolia Full fat milk as it produces a better foamy milk from my french push coffee maker.

All the big milk company do import powdered milk into Thailand, in a past life in LOS I worked for a dairy co-op producing fresh milk.I worked with the cows, they sent the milk to Marly when they use to be a big player in Thailand, I went down to the factory in Bangkok a few times, they had the fresh milk lines, one time I went down in one of the co-op's milk trucks. 

But, next door to the fresh milk lines, was a warehouse a big one, they was a machine and on top was 2 Thai's, as fast as they could they were, opening  50 kg bags of milk powder emptying them in to the machine, for reconstituting ,the reconstructed milk going in to tanks for storage .

Then, and I still think now all your flavored milk in bottles was from powdered milk, but your milk for tea, coffee etc, was and still is fresh milk.

But at the time Marly Thailand  could import  powdered milk at 8 baht/kg, they parent company was Australian, so that was a  valuable export for them,but Thai farmers were getting paid, at the time 10-11 baht/kg, some Thai's in high places were getting concerned, for the Thai farmers producing milk it was a better income than growing crops .

So, I was told all the big milk companies had to limit the amount of milk powder imported, this was 20 years ago now, what the regulations now are I would not know but would have thought they have not changed much.

By the way, a Thai farmer now  is getting paid 18 baht/kg for his milk, depending on quality,

What no one has said so far and is obvious, is to look on the bottle/ container of milk, if it has นมโคแทั100%, Nom Kor Tair 100%, it will be 100% fresh milk.

This come from a bottle of Meiji milk , others should say the same.