Beware Beer Vendor Fraud!

Rockhead269

1 hour ago, connda said:

Once you've had good craft beer from anywhere on the planet, you then understand that all Thai commercial lager is tasteless pig swill. 

I enjoy locally made beer from a brewery that cares about its product, but what I can't abide is this rigmarole that has grown up around what is a pretty straightforward process. Calling it 'craft' I can just about stomach, but when they start talking about noses and fruity this, strawberry that and aftertastes of burnt acorns, I'm gone. Then there's the price relative to the commercial products, some of which are perfectly acceptable.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Ughhhh I would rather drop a vodka shot in any other beer.

Cheers taste like sandpaper and what huge mistake sampling the berry beer (I think) 3 months ago and still have the taste in mouth

Now I quite like riceberry lager , my Aussie mate likes the blue Cheers lager. But the best is Snowy weitsen beer , and it is beer not blasted lager. Will try Tapper when I find some.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, johng said:

Yes most are now 5% or less due to government taxes...Cheers X-tra is stated to be 6%

Going by what I have been reading here, why don't you guys who do not have a drink problem and just enjoy social drinks, not just change to soft drinks, if there is only 5% alcohol, why should this be a problem? It would sure sort these cheats, and that is what they are, out.

Seems a very weird amount to sell, 24 fluid ounces is 1.2 UK pint or 1.5 US pint, especially for 80 Baht, would have been much more likely to be 500ml or as near as makes any difference 17 fluid ounces.

Most local draught lager beer here is sold in 500ml measures, personally I've never seen beer sold or advertised in Fluid Ounces here.

Two months ago I was in an English style pub in north Italy I ordered a pint of Guinness it was served in a Guinness glass but it was well short of the pint line.

I also ordered a pint of English bitter served in a pint glass a  short measure the same well short of the top of the glass as you can see.

I said to the pub owner that the beers where well short of a pint, he replied in an unfriendly way;

That is how I pull a pint in my pub and if you don't like it you can go somewhere else (They say Italians are friendly and nice people...LOL) not this one he only had Euro signs in front of his eyes. 

So for all you people who always have a go at Thailand.

The same happens everywhere especially in tourist areas.

20180422_150742.jpg

20180421_190500.jpg

Was this an imperial (UK) fluid ounce or a U.S. fluid ounce? They're not the same, you know. It's very important to get to the bottom of this alleged scam.

I have never heard of a Thai fluid ounce. Thai use ml for volume of beer. How was this advertised? Did the vendor have an American accent?

15 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

its a clever marketing.

my guess is the cups hold 24oz if filled right to the top but with head on beer its always be short.

the pub were worse scamming in Bkk.

One Thai barman who think nobody watching him

when not much beer gets poured, the first gassy pull he put in a glass and put aside to settle.

later on he will pour the next customer beer into that previous glass with the slops..even if it not the same beer!

Many years ago in some glasgow back street pubs that was called a 99.

???

20 hours ago, Rockhead269 said:

However, suspecting that the plastic cups of beer were somewhat smaller than advertised,  I retained my cup rather than discarding it after enjoying my beverage. Once home, I grabbed the measuring cup from the kitchen and discovered that the beer mug was only 16oz; a full 33% short of what had been advertised and had purchased!!!  Such blatant fraud is all too common here, so beware, and be willing to question everything. 

Noooooooooooooooooooo!

Gosh. How interesting.

19 hours ago, simon43 said:

I don't know how you sleep at night - you need to get a hobby ?

He already has a hobby and his next mission should he choose to accept it is to measure the size of the frothy head on tap beer 

I can steer him to a few places the head on a small draught is 3 fingers, your only getting 70 % ?

21 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

In some of the bars I've drank in around the World- a pint of anything served with a 'head' of 2-3 inches would start a revolution.

Me thinks there's quite a difference between 3 fingers of head & 3 inches of head. Agreed 3 fingers is way too much. I doubt 3 inches of head would be given anywhere around the world. Unless of course we were referring to a dwarf beer bar in Soi Six.

3 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

I enjoy locally made beer from a brewery that cares about its product, but what I can't abide is this rigmarole that has grown up around what is a pretty straightforward process. Calling it 'craft' I can just about stomach, but when they start talking about noses and fruity this, strawberry that and aftertastes of burnt acorns, I'm gone. Then there's the price relative to the commercial products, some of which are perfectly acceptable.

Thirty years ago in my hometown, there was a corner drugstore that had a grill and soda fountain bar. When you sat down they would give you a glass of water. The soda was served in 2 sizes, a small glass (same size as the water glass) 15 cents and a large glass 25 cents. I always ordered large. One day I took notice that the water glass, although shorter was slightly larger in diameter than the taller large glass. After finishing the soda, I poured the contents of the water glass into the taller glass and they both contain the same volume. I pointed this out to the clerk, who offered no explanation. Always ordered small thereafter.

22 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Nearly tried tapper yesterday. Never noticed it before 

I've got one in my fridge at the moment. Got it from the local 7-11. I think I may try it this evening.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, alanratch said:

My father always said that there was no such thing as bad beer,

Just that some were better than others.

Yeah, but some are much, much better than others.

8 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

He already has a hobby and his next mission should he choose to accept it is to measure the size of the frothy head on tap beer 

I can steer him to a few places the head on a small draught is 3 fingers, your only getting 70 % ?

More fool you my man