Areas of land without chanote title, "King's land"

I hope someone can help to clarify this please.  I have been told that some agricultural land in the provinces, on which a number of people have settled, does not emjoy the benefit of chanote title but that the "king" has traditionally allowed people to use it.  Nevertheless, such land appears to change hands for a payment between buyer and seller.

As I understand it, locals refer to this as the King's land, but getting a straight answer to how this works, was diffcult.  What therefore are the terms of the arrangement in place likely to be, if anyone can help?  Many thanks.

There are large aereas of "Kings and Army" land in Thailand. People dwelling on those lands are legally "squatters" with no hope of ever attaining legal rights to "their" land. They are tolerated to some extent in "Borderline"-Situations, as the available "Land Surveys" are often very "fuzzy" in "borderline" situations.

As this "status-quo" has been in existance for decades, plots of land are bought and sold among the "squatters".
This is strictly an internal Thai-Thing, not a playing ground for Farang-Investors looking for cheap real-estate.
Cheers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Afaik according to Thai law if somebody occupied land for a certain time span they can't be legally removed from this land anymore by somebody else. Of course the government could change the laws and take the land, but somebody else can't.

As swissie said already, that's nothing you want to get involved with, never buy land (or have your wife buy it ;)) without chanote.

• Like 2