Thai 6 Month METV For U.S. Citizen

I am planning to move to Asia. I would like to apply for a 6 month METV through the NYC Consulate. The problem is I am currently unemployed. Technically I will have some self employment income from interest, dividends, and some online book sales, but as of now I don't have a business license, just operating as a sole proprietor. Can I apply through the mail through the NYC consulate?

What I am wondering is does anyone know if they verify your letter of employment? I can use a prior employer where I worked as a tennis teaching pro (this is not the one that fired me as that was a job as an investment analyst) and they will back me up, but it seems sketchy if they actually verify this considering I am not receiving income from this employer. Also can anyone explain the references in Thailand and the US on the visa application? Are they saying I need to know someone in Thailand that can vouch for me? What about the reference in the U.S. Do they actually call to verify the person you put down?

Edited by DR0832

I'm not aware of the specific requirements in the USA, but usually to apply for an METV you just need to proof funds in your bank account, where did you get the income requirement from?

Edited by jackdd

6 hours ago, DR0832 said:

What I am wondering is does anyone know if they verify your letter of employment?

Highly unlikely. They want to sell you a visa and just need to file documents that meet the requirements. Although any consulate could seek verification I don’t see why they would and haven’t heard of any doing so. It is certainly not standard practice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DR0832 said:

Nobody knows the answer to this? Why do they put this on the form if you don't actually need references?

It could be required for certain nationalities or when applying for certain visas.

Tourists are not expected to know anyone in Thailand.

12 hours ago, elviajero said:

It could be required for certain nationalities or when applying for certain visas.

Tourists are not expected to know anyone in Thailand.

I was told to just leave it blank by the consulate.  I applied for mine at the LA Consulate.  They will actually talk to you by phone and answer questions.  None of the other consulates seem to. 

Having said that, every consulate has their own rules, so NY could require it.  I lived in NY but applied through the LA consulate because many people advised that the worst consulates to apply for a METV were DC and NY.  I don't know if that's true or not but both were impossible to reach by phone so I went with LA and the whole process went very smoothly.