Thais start waking up on reducing plastic bags

webfact

15 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Wrong...

Have you seen the size of Makros parking lot? What do you see parked there? Bicycles?  Nope.....You see cars lots and lots of cars.....

People do not need plastic bags in Makro because they have a big bag called a car to carry their goods home in....

The % of people who shop at lets say Big C who do not have cars is way way higher than Makro....

So Big C needs to have plastic bags...People can not walk around 24/7 carrying a cloth bag to go shopping...So Big C would be pretty stupid to not have plastic bags....

Plastic bags are good for business..

I shop in Makro quite a lot.  I have a car but often go on the bike to negate traffic problems.  The bike park is always full.

Wonder how the increasing number of countries that are banning plastic cope.  Quite well I imagine.  So before plastic bags came on the scene, how did people do their shopping?  Your argument is nonsense.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Wrong...

Have you seen the size of Makros parking lot? What do you see parked there? Bicycles?  Nope.....You see cars lots and lots of cars.....

People do not need plastic bags in Makro because they have a big bag called a car to carry their goods home in....

The % of people who shop at lets say Big C who do not have cars is way way higher than Makro....

So Big C needs to have plastic bags...People can not walk around 24/7 carrying a cloth bag to go shopping...So Big C would be pretty stupid to not have plastic bags....

Plastic bags are good for business..

I go to Makro and take a cab back to my factory.   My staff and I take those big Ikea bags to carry the stuff. 

On 6/20/2018 at 2:11 PM, RotMahKid said:

Makro in Thailand does already many years.....others did not follow yet.

Also Decathlon.1 Baht for a plastic bag, more for a reusable one.

Tesco are the worst offenders. Bags, bags and more bags. Checkout girls seem happy to give them away.

Most people need some encouragement to help them understand the severity of the “ plastic pollution “ issues !!

In the Uk David Attenborough’s program Blue Planet 2 paid particular attention to the effect all this plastic waste has made on the oceans.

https://canvas-story.bbcrewind.co.uk/blue-planet-two-six-months-on/

It really shouldn’t need some celebrity to influence our thoughts on the danger we are putting our planet in !! But it does help !!

Get some of these “ famous “ Thai soap superstars or any popular singer or any popular comedian, etc etc, to push the word home.

If Thai’s think they are in fashion by reducing the plastic waste I’m sure they will comply !!

On 6/22/2018 at 6:23 PM, Poottrong said:

Interesting, but there's more at stake then just carbon footprint. At the moment, there is no effective method to stop a lot of plastic bags ending up in the oceans / waterways. And most aren't biodegradable. 

14 hours ago, ncc1701d said:

Interesting, but there's more at stake then just carbon footprint. At the moment, there is no effective method to stop a lot of plastic bags ending up in the oceans / waterways. And most aren't biodegradable. 

The way to stop them ending up in oceans and waterways is to correctly dispose of them at the individual and household level and have them effectively removed to a sanitary disposal site or landfill, something that countries in the west are doing an excellent job of currently. Note that Five Asian Countries Dump More Plastic Into Oceans Than Anyone Else Combined.

The problem isn't plastic bags, it's proper waste disposal. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Poottrong said:

The way to stop them ending up in oceans and waterways is to correctly dispose of them at the individual and household level and have them effectively removed to a sanitary disposal site or landfill, something that countries in the west are doing an excellent job of currently. Note that Five Asian Countries Dump More Plastic Into Oceans Than Anyone Else Combined.

The problem isn't plastic bags, it's proper waste disposal. 

I agree 100%. But as with most problems, they need multiple approaches to fix. And getting the locals in Thailand to change their habits will take a very long time.

• Thanks 1

Oh Thailand still has a long way to go in this regard... 

First of all, straws. Perfectly healthy adults drink bottled water using straws... as if they have no lips... It's a mindset thing. They need to change this whole "chugging from a bottle is un-ladylike" mentality. 

Second, for me personally, reusable travel cups or tumblers are a godsend. I admit I have some sort of "fetish" for them, every time I see rows of travel cups or bottles, I have to take a look. They are stylish and can definitely help reduce all those plastic disposable cups you get when you buy iced coffee. Also a big problem in the plastic waste department because so many people buy 2 or more cold drinks in a day. 

Thirdly, Seven needs to stop giving out plastic bags for one single bottle of water purchased or one piece of gum.