Well done! Kindergarten teachers taking positive steps to avert more car tragedies

webfact

Well done! Kindergarten teachers taking positive steps to avert more car tragedies

7PM.jpg

Picture: Manager Online

Kindergarten teachers at a school in Bang Plee south east of Bangkok have been praised online for conducting training for little children in how to exit a vehicle if they are locked in alone.

Three clips of the training were shown on the page of Gantanat Chalong on Facebook.

The three to five year olds at Bang Plee Pattanasuksalai were shown how to disable the central locking mechanism and told they could do this on their parents' vehicles too if they were left behind by accident.

The class was widely praised by netizens who saw it as a positive step in the wake of yet another needless tragedy that saw the death of five year old Nong Yaem in Khon Kaen earlier this week.

She died after being left in a pick-up all day by a teacher who took her and other pupils to school in a pick-up.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-06-22

11 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Warning!!!....Don't try this when the vehicle is moving!

But surely all the little kiddies are safe and secure in their child car seats...…...oh wait, what was I thinking!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

Yea, I agree it’s good thing the kids are learning.

My point was that it’s a very sad reflection on the drivers and the schools who employ them. Driving a kid from point A to B and making sure they’re not in the car when you lock it is such a simple task. That’s not being negative. That’s scratching your head in bewilderment. 

Yes I agree its crazy, but in the last case it was not a normal driver but an teacher not normal routine for him / her. Not excusing it but its a bit different from a professional driver. Anyway its bad that professional drivers forget kids.. its stupid and dangerous. But this is just an extra fail safe it will help. 

• Like 1

So next time a child dies in a car because it is left behind it is their fault for not paying attention to this lesson?

I am sure it does some good but what about doing a headcount as soon as school start and if a child is not there call the parents asap.!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Professional driver, teacher, toilet cleaner - if you have a child in your car, and you forget and lock them in, it doesn’t matter what your qualifications are or aren’t. You are 100% responsible. You don’t get any leniency because you’re not a ‘professional driver’ or it’s not your usual routine. If you feel you are the sort of person who is so stupid, irresponsible or useless that you can’t guarantee you won’t lock the door of your car without remembering or noticing there is a child inside, then don’t allow any children anywhere near your car. In fact, stay away from children altogether. 

Again, well done for teaching the kids. It’s a must. But again, what a truly sad reflection on anyone, let alone a driver or a teacher, who could be so feckless as to leave a child locked in their car. It really does make you wonder how stupid and/or careless some people are. And the latest case was a teacher. On paper a person more educated and duty bound for the care of children than a van driver. That speaks volumes. 

I get what your saying, but its hard in Thai culture to say No or refuse a task as it could lead to problems. Just imagine your a teacher and all of a sudden the director calls telling you to pick up students or else... do you really think a teacher would refuse someone higher up. Not excusing here.. just explaining.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

I get what your saying, but its hard in Thai culture to say No or refuse a task as it could lead to problems. Just imagine your a teacher and all of a sudden the director calls telling you to pick up students or else... do you really think a teacher would refuse someone higher up. Not excusing here.. just explaining.

I understand. So the easier option is to simply remember not to lock a child in your car. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I understand. So the easier option is to simply remember not to lock a child in your car. 

Of course it is.. but I doubt anyone does something like that on purpose.. and I think most people will have a tough time living with something like that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Of course it is.. but I doubt anyone does something like that on purpose.. and I think most people will have a tough time living with something like that.

Yes, no one does it on purpose. Which begs the questions, "How irresponsible can a person be?" And the better question, "Why are they so irresponsible?" Society should be reflecting hard. 

I hope it lives with this teacher til she dies. She has absolutely has no one else to blame but herself and should feel completely awful. Zero excuses. 

2 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I may have missed it but the first people responsible for teaching kids the basics re safety are their PARENTS.

How are the parents supposed to teach their children how to get out of a locked car?Maybe parents do not own a car.

• Like 2

It's not just a Thai thing, it happens everywhere that has hot weather, year on year. Schools have a particular responsibility and should have procedures in place, with disciplinary measures taken if they're not adhered to. Count them on and count them off should be standard practice. Some exercise in reaction to a particular incident, and probably soon to be neglected once the fuss dies down, particularly one that puts the emphasis on the child rather than the carer,  just ain't good enough, IMHO. It goes without saying neglectful carers, be they parents, teachers or drivers, should face legal action for negligence where a death or harm occurs.

41 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Funny you should comment about head count.

Yesterday at my wifes school, 1 small boy was missing at the head count, another boy told the teacher, i saw him a few minutes ago, so teachers /children everybody looking for him.

Wife jumps in the pickup goes to his home, little ++++ is missing, old granny says no hes not, his father has just taken him to Bangkok.

Now how bloody stupid is that?

Absolutely, but in reality what a normal day that is - no one informing anyone else of the situation.

Total irresponsibility:

Teacher: Why didn't you tell me you were taking your son away from school?

Father: Why didn't you ask me?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well done teachers, if this helps children learn how to get out of a vehicle and prevents it happening again good idea.

How about the education ministry instructing all primary schools to do the same.

Yes.

But how about some lectures for the teachers about adult responsibilities, including the serious matter of childrens' safety and lives. and since they don't check how about some serious lectures that these must be checking such important matter.

Why is the Ed. ministry quiet on this (like on every subject in any way connected to education - their reason for existence), and why hasn't the Ed. ministry not, years ago, developed and installed an electronic  system which can be used frequently to ensure every child is accounted for, etc?

In fact IMHO the Ed. ministry is derelict for not developing / installing a monitoring system.

Edited by scorecard

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yes.

But how about some lectures for the teachers about adult responsibilities and checking such an important matter.

Why is the Ed. ministry quiet on this, and why hasn't the Ed. ministry not, years ago, developed and installed an electronic  system which can be used frequently to ensure every child is accounted for, etc?

Problem with your comment mate, your applying western logic, here they can only think about now this minute, no forward planning.

+.

• Like 1

This also applies to PETS! Some people think they can run into the store, and leave Fido or Kitty in the car for a few minutes. But, no one knows how long a little shopping trip will be, while looking for your favorite food.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

I applaud them. Now what about teaching them make sure they wear a seatbelt. How to cross the road and be sure to wear a helmet on a motorcycle.

....and not let their 10 year old kid drive a motorcycle.

• Like 1

Whats with the Megaphone in the Pic ?

The children are on just hanging on her shirt tails for Gods sake.

easy for staff to improve on their care of the children.

1) Switch of Mobile phone 

2) Remove head from ones own Rectum

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Funny you should comment about head count.

Yesterday at my wifes school, 1 small boy was missing at the head count, another boy told the teacher, i saw him a few minutes ago, so teachers /children everybody looking for him.

Wife jumps in the pickup goes to his home, little ++++ is missing, old granny says no hes not, his father has just taken him to Bangkok.

Now how bloody stupid is that?

The school did a good job. Even though some of the parents/grandparents may be stupid, at least they can be sure that someone will be looking for their kids if they are missing.

• Like 1