​​​​​​​Govt hopes foreign universities in Thailand to raise quality of Thai education

webfact

Govt hopes foreign universities in Thailand to raise quality of Thai education

edu.jpg

FILE photo

BANGKOK, 25th June 2018 (NNT) – The Deputy Minister of Education stated that the government hopes the two foreign universities in Thailand will help upgrade the country's education standard. 

Deputy Education Minister Prof Dr Udom Khachinthorn disclosed that the cabinet granted Amata University the right to offer a Master's of Science (MS) in Engineering (Intelligent Manufacturing Systems) from National Taiwan University (NTU) in Thailand. The degree will focus largely on future automation and autonomous vehicles. 

With the aim to build the country's strength and to nurture Thailand as the leading hub of innovation in the Southeast Asia region, King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Lad Krabang (KMITL) has also joined hands with Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) to establish CMKL University. 

It is a long-term collaboration to significantly expand research and education in the areas of information, computing and autonomous technologies. The Carnegie Mellon-KMITL program will focus on collaborative education, research and faculty development programs, said the KMITL President Prof Dr Suchatchawee Suwansawas. 

The Deputy Minister of Education has confirmed the two universities were established to enhance the potential of the Eastern Economic Corridor and they will not affect the number of students in Thai universities but will upgrade quality of Thai education.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-06-25

Is this the thin end of the wedge?  Thais recognising that foreigners can be a force for good?  Perhaps the Government could look at how farangs keep the daily road kill down; run efficient bribe-free police forces; encourage a full day's labour; have a Civil service that serves the people not themselves?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Is this the thin end of the wedge?  Thais recognising that foreigners can be a force for good?  Perhaps the Government could look at how farangs keep the daily road kill down; run efficient bribe-free police forces; encourage a full day's labour; have a Civil service that serves the people not themselves?

Sometimes I have doubts about the latter...

4 hours ago, Get Real said:

But then the ability to listen, understand and take instructions from people originating from another country must be visible. Never heard that was something that even existed.

There are a lot of good students who want to listen and learn and I hope they’ll get the chance of better education thru policies like this.  Not all Thai students are lazy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TEFLKrabi said:

There are a lot of good students who want to listen and learn and I hope they’ll get the chance of better education thru policies like this.  Not all Thai students are lazy. 

My comment had nothing to do with lazyness. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Eligius said:

They don't realise how stupid they sound in everything they come out with: 'Thailand as the leading hub [of course - what else!] of innovation in the Southeast Asia region' - but that 'innovation' (i.e. being new and original) is going to be COPIED from foreign sources!

What idiots!

It is not innovation if it is copied

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TEFLKrabi said:

Too many hours of "listening to teacher" and "reading the book" along with rote learning and copying, with the expectation of learning something among students within the Thai system. More thinking critically and challenging doing required to make learning effective.

Edited by Aj Mick

6 hours ago, Aj Mick said:

Previously we had a graduation rate of 36 - 40 students after 4 years (90 to 100 percent of those who started). Nowadays it averages not much more than 40 out of about 100 students who start the English major program, with considerable variation, ranging from a low of about 20 to a high of about 60 graduating after 4 years. Typically ten or a dozen stay on to repeat papers they had failed, thus graduating a year or two later.

Bad teaching...?

59 minutes ago, exemplary21 said:

Bad teaching...?

I would suggest you read my whole post rather than make an assumption based on a single paragraph. Although the powers that be and outsiders might be inclined to blame teachers. 

Teachers now have a higher work load (and longer hours), dealing with more students in bigger class sizes, many of whom are ill prepared for university study coming from schools where failure is not allowed. Teaching methods and courses have been updated over time, and adapted to give the weaker students we are now required to accept the opportunity to come up to speed, but in the end we have sought to maintain standards. Our English major graduates are generally well accepted by employers and few have a problem starting a career. That cannot be said for all majors

Some of the same teachers as 15 years ago, with most new staff (several of whom are graduates of the major, some are ex-students of mine) being at least as competent as those who have moved on. While school teachers are constrained by the course guidelines and materials they use to teach, at tertiary level where I am at, we have more flexibility. We have some good classrooms, but some of our newer ones are in a building that was intended as offices, and have an environment with a lot of extraneous noise, which is not conducive to learning...... however there are ways of coping and working around that.