How it plays out, for the end game...

In reading the heart warming article about the 93 y/o Swiss gentleman who arrived to reunite with his wife, I began asking myself a few questions about being in LOS in my twilight years.  I'm in no where near retirement, but what about when things become increasingly challenging, as the years go by (whatever age that might be).  How does one plan for very old age as an expat in LOS?

A couple of serious questions (please add anything that one might have to consider to prepare/plan/budget for).

Does someone in their late stage of life still have to report to an IO?  Is there an age that this gets waived?

What would the annual cost be to maintain your Thai residency (visa, agents, reporting etc. etc)

What happens if you end up struggling with Alzheimer's, Parkinson's or a cognitive issue?  Eg: IO comes for a visit, and you can't remember your own name, let alone what country you're in.

Obviously health insurance/coverage, medications becomes an issue.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, glegolo said:

I do not like this kind of posting. You take one nice example (Canada) and try to kill off a nice posting where suggested that nursing-homes are quite poor in many countries. I am swede and BritTim is right on the nail,,, So stuff canadian healthcare for now . I am happy for your sake, but do not put down other people postings that is just plain stupid.

glegolo

I don't give a single care if you like it or not. The original poster is Canadian, so my "one nice example" is completely relevant to the subject.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Yes you seems to be the guy that do not care about others..... You were answering BRITTIM and he is NOT canadian, so dont be ¤%&%¤,,,,,,  Many western countries are crap when it comes to care of their elderly people.... And to your surprice there are a lot of people reading Thai-VISA and NOT being from Canada....

glegolo

And "BRITTIM" was replying to a Canadian.

Anyway, you seem to be under some grand delusions that Thailand cares about healthcare of the elderly?

They care as much as your own country apparently.... as long as you can pay up with the additional hustle of reporting to immigration while in the wheelchair or in coma.

What was your point again?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

And "BRITTIM" was replying to a Canadian.

Anyway, you seem to be under some grand delusions that Thailand cares about healthcare of the elderly?

They care as much as your own country apparently.... as long as you can pay up with the additional hustle of reporting to immigration while in the wheelchair or in coma.

What was your point again?

My point was to straighten you out, which I managed to do, so all good.

glegolo

• Sad 2

17 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Nonsense.

Why on earth would you spend your retirement in Thailand instead of having top class Canadian healthcare that will take care of you?

My mom is dirt poor in Canada. I bought her a condo (instead of some Thai tart) and now she gets money from the government, free healthcare and heavily discounted meds if she needs them which she does not as she only eats best quality organic food thanks to free government money.

I am so fed up with the "quality" healthcare here (which I get for free through my wife) that I'm going back to Toronto this summer to see real and informed doctors. 

This place is not good for old people and I doubt it will get better in the future. By my calculation you'd have to have around 10 million dollars banked in a savings account to have the same quality of life as the average Canadian.

Nice if you are Canadian.  Most of us aren't.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

so my "one nice example" is completely relevant to the subject.

It's not a relevant example as it applies to a Canadian citizen.

The question was "How does one plan for very old age as an expat in LOS?"

My bold emphasis.

So to be informative in the comparison to Canada, how well does an expat in Canada live at a very old age?

Can an expat can get 100% access to Canadian healthcare as does a Canadian?

2 hours ago, poyai111 said:

Coming to terms with one's mortality is not an easy thing. Resign yourself to the inevitable and to delay it for as long as possible by ignoring it, is the Buddhist way to go. A primary issue is one's state of health, physically and mentally. I am now 74 and am as robust in body and mind as I was 40 years ago. Everything works - without exception. Worthy of mention are: 1) follow a strict physical routine at least 3 times a week for both strength and cardio 2) be moderate in your consumption of food and alcohol. Anything to excess is deleterious to your well being 3) love and be loved 4) exercise your brain - read, communicate and be able to make wise decisions 5) show appreciation and it will be returned tenfold 6) have a clean and painless exit plan

I am the same age as you, with pretty much the same philosophy on health etc. I was out riding the bicycle for two hours this morning through the rice fields which gives me exercise and peace of mind. You and I are the lucky ones, I do understand that many are not as blessed as us in the health department. A good positive mental attitude is also important. I also have a 42 year young lady with two boys 12 and 8 which do keep you on your toes.....but life could be boring without them. Enjoy it all.

Most people I have met here have no plan for nothing.

No health insurance.

No plan if they are incapacitated.

No plan for long term care.

No plan for their death.

No will or trust.

These are people that have decent money but generally seem it is all not important.

The most common answer I get is so naive which is: My Embassy will take care of everything.

Unless you have a lot of money and do not need to rely on the Government, the Australian home for the age system is dreadful. I would prefer to spend my remaining years in Thailand. A good question has been asked and it deserves some serious replies. Also, I am a Canadian (as well as Australian) having lived in Toronto for many years. OHIP, the Ontario health insurance plan, used to be good but is now severely underfunded and not very good.

• Like 2