Are there jobs for westerners in Thailand?

Long story short, had enough of the politics and red tape in work in the UK and have always wanted to live in Thailand, I only really know of TEFL but not having a degree Im guessing it would be a no go for me.

Are there any jobs westerners can do in Thailand?  I'm an engineer by trade, 20 years experience etc etc, just asking here to see if there is anything I could do, how hard it is to get and what issues I may come up against

Engineer is an occupation reserved for Thais.

Although there is a proposal to let foreigners work as engineers, there will still be an exam in Thai.

Most common work for westerners are chefs and English teachers.

3 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Although there is a proposal to let foreigners work as engineers, there will still be an exam in Thai.

Serious ?

I know many engineers working in Thailand, surely they are not illegal.

2 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Serious ?

I know many engineers working in Thailand, surely they are not illegal.

It's on the list.

Professional civil engineering concerning design and calculation, systemization, analysis, planning, testing, construction supervision, or consulting services, excluding work requiring specialized techniques.

20 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

It's on the list.

Professional civil engineering concerning design and calculation, systemization, analysis, planning, testing, construction supervision, or consulting services, excluding work requiring specialized techniques.

ahhh righto, Yeah none that I know are doing any civil engineering.

Mostly Industrial/Chemical/Electrical/Automotive.

Edited by Techno Viking

1 hour ago, mrblonde said:

Long story short, had enough of the politics and red tape in work in the UK and have always wanted to live in Thailand, I only really know of TEFL but not having a degree Im guessing it would be a no go for me.

Are there any jobs westerners can do in Thailand?  I'm an engineer by trade, 20 years experience etc etc, just asking here to see if there is anything I could do, how hard it is to get and what issues I may come up against

Just get a teaching job and do not worry about it. 

There is at least one posting in here who has atrocious spelling, no grammar and a command of English that will not get him out of a wet paper bag but he is going to teach Thai children basic English, God help them.

You could of course go to Khon Kaen university and get a qualification to teach English, it is recognised by the Thai authorities and will cost you around 20,000baht, a little over £400, so if you are serious it may be worth your time to check it out.

You may even drop onto an course to learn Thai both of which will solve any visa problems in the short term before applying for a work related one after qualification.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Janner1 said:

You could of course go to Khon Kaen university and get a qualification to teach English, it is recognised by the Thai authorities and will cost you around 20,000baht, a little over £400, so if you are serious it may be worth your time to check it out.

Really? What do you mean get a qualification to teach? Like a teacher license? Because this fee is cheaper than TEFL.

17 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Really? What do you mean get a qualification to teach? Like a teacher license? Because this fee is cheaper than TEFL.

Far as I know any degree suffices to be able to teach in LOS, though I have  no idea why an unrelated degree would help with teaching. Certainly was the case when I was looking to be a teacher here.

• Like 1

Far as I know any degree suffices to be able to teach in LOS, though I have  no idea why an unrelated degree would help with teaching. Certainly was the case when I was looking to be a teacher here.
It is ridiculous. A degree in any subject but no TEFL certificate qualifies you to teach English here, but a CELTA or Trinity plus loads of experience, but no degree is not considered enough for a work permit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It is ridiculous. A degree in any subject but no TEFL certificate qualifies you to teach English here, but a CELTA or Trinity plus loads of experience, but no degree is not considered enough for a work permit.

Agreed. I was going to do a TEFL, but luckily found out about the degree requirement before doing it.

Perhaps it's because all politicians here apparently have to have a degree, and they have the mindset that just having a degree is all that is required to do a job. I don't know if it's true, but I heard that people working in 7 11 have to have a degree. Tell me if that's wrong.

42 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Well, you need a degree in Education to teach English legally. Any degree will do for only 4 years until your waivers expire. So, this is what I'm asking what does Khon Kaen university actually give you? A teacher's license?

• Like 1

Google the subject.

Apply to the career/job agencies who specialize in placing foreigners into professional and executive jobs in Thailand.

e.g.:

https://www.google.co.th/search?rlz=1C1CHZL_enTH735TH735&ei=PhYzW-W8NpWv9QOhv5vYDQ&q=jobs+for+foreigners+in+thailand&oq=jobs+for+foreigners+in+thailand&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i67k1j0i7i30k1l3j0j0i30k1j0i5i30k1l4.3850.3850.0.4216.1.1.0.0.0.0.77.77.1.1.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.1.77....0.4xxmnsfMdJ4

BTW I believe it's still the case that legally a foreigners salary has to be a minimum Baht50,000 per month.

I also believe that many teaching posts offer less e.g. B30,000, so I'm not sure how that works.

Specifically for teachers:

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=salary+for+teaching+english+in+thailand&rlz=1C1CHZL_enTH735TH735&oq=salary+for+teaching+english+in+thailand&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.7800j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.internationalteflacademy.com/faq/how-much-money-can-i-make-teaching-english-in-thailand

https://www.internationalteflacademy.com/thailand-english-teaching-jobs-abroad-asia

I noticed on one of these links it's suggested that you can live comfortably on B30,000 per month, particularly outside Bangkok. I would suggest that really does depend on your definition of comfort. It certainly is nowhere near mine. You can certainly "survive" on that.

As mentioned above many expats work here on a contract from a foreign company. You should expect between B100,000 and B200,000 per month for a professional post. Once here they search for permanent opportunities. Many expats have professional business here, and make far more.

http://www.doingbusiness.org/data/exploreeconomies/thailand#starting-a-business

2 minutes ago, jkcjag said:

BTW I believe it's still the case that legally a foreigners salary has to be a minimum Baht50,000 per month.

I also believe that many teaching posts offer less e.g. B30,000, so I'm not sure how that works.

The minimum salary is for the permission to stay extension, nothing to with issuance of workpermit to allow one to work.

• Like 1

To be honest TEFL is a bit of a joke. I did the TEFL course here in Thailand - it is a one month course which I believed would get refresh me in the basics of grammar etc. I could not have been more wrong. It focused solely on class control, lesson preparation and delivery (most of which is irrelevant if you are following school books!!!). What I learnt on that course I could have learnt easily in a week. There was no brushing up on grammar (when I asked about it I was told we'd pick it up on the job!!!!). TEFL is a joke and a rip-off if you ask me!

20 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Civil engineering is, but most other engineering is no problem. 

I'm working here on a local permanent contract for more than 13 years as an engineer (manager engineering now).

Edited by Cheops

" Long story short, had enough of the politics and red tape in work in the UK..."

If you've had it enough in the UK... Thailand will be worse - just read the posts here. The people, the Government, roads, shops, the air, the ladies, the men, the lady boys...

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Just another case of "This is Thailand".

1 hour ago, greenmonkey said:

To be honest TEFL is a bit of a joke. I did the TEFL course here in Thailand - it is a one month course which I believed would get refresh me in the basics of grammar etc. I could not have been more wrong. It focused solely on class control, lesson preparation and delivery (most of which is irrelevant if you are following school books!!!). What I learnt on that course I could have learnt easily in a week. There was no brushing up on grammar (when I asked about it I was told we'd pick it up on the job!!!!). TEFL is a joke and a rip-off if you ask me!

Probably because teachers don't grammar.

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

What do you mean it's ridiculous? It's great! A Serb like me can teach your kids English over a Brit without a degree. It's hilarious. God, I love Thailand!!!

Well, you need a degree in Education to teach English legally. Any degree will do for only 4 years until your waivers expire. So, this is what I'm asking what does Khon Kaen university actually give you? A teacher's license?
That's not true. There are plenty of TEFL jobs teaching adults and businesses, not to mention a huge market in IELTS and other exams. A CELTA or Trinity is usually required, in addition to a degree in anything, although less choosy employers won't care about the TEFL. The qualifications for TEFL are pretty much the same the world over; due to its popularity, Thailand tends to be less choosy.
Just another case of "This is Thailand".
Not really. UK TEFL jobs have similar requirements.

5 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

That's not true. There are plenty of TEFL jobs teaching adults and businesses, not to mention a huge market in IELTS and other exams. A CELTA or Trinity is usually required, in addition to a degree in anything, 

Yes, you are correct. I am not a teacher, so I think I should have said government schools.

Anyway, I am interested what Khon Kaen University gives you that is recognized by Thai authorities.

• Like 1