Retirement visa (s)?

5 minutes ago, jerry921 said:

If your wife has a US green card, is her passport/citizenship then Vietnamese?

I am sure she is still a Vietnamese citizen. Getting US permanent residency does not change a person's nationality.

I was 90% sure that would be the answer. I almost went on to make my point, that AFAIK you can only apply for a non O-A in your home country, so she'd have to apply for that in Viet Nam - if Thailand even offers that visa to Vietnamese citizens (which I don't know).

Some advice, if I understand it, is assuming she'd be his dependent rather than getting her own visa, but not all the posts make it clear.

And the other things I was going to do was to ask if she was close to being eligible for US citizenship, as if they both had US passports that might simplify things somewhat. But I thought I'd take things a step at a time and verify her citizenship first.

37 minutes ago, jerry921 said:

I was 90% sure that would be the answer. I almost went on to make my point, that AFAIK you can only apply for a non O-A in your home country, so she'd have to apply for that in Viet Nam - if Thailand even offers that visa to Vietnamese citizens (which I don't know).

She could apply for the OA visa in the US if she wanted to since she has US permanent residency.

The rules state you must be a citizen of the country or a permanent resident.

1.4 Having the nationality of or permanent residence in the country where application is submitted.

Source: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

All nationalities can apply for a OA visa.

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Not sure who you are asking - in my case insurance is a benefit of employment/retirement in that part is paid by government and part is paid by retiree.  As for FEP/Blue Cross there are direct billing arrangements with many overseas hospitals for inpatient service and there is no time difference/language issue as they use AXA for such claim payment (who are on the ground just about everywhere), but indeed direct payment would only be a handful of those hospitals actually available.  There is no such thing as "International Accredited Hospital" - accreditation is a private and unrelated matter and not an insurance issue with the policy I have.

In my experience I disregard as to use of the International Accredited Hospital. For example Bangkok/Pattaya advertise themselves as a International Accredited Hospital.  That being said any bill being paid in advance would come in English, in my case, so the submission can be paid by the Insurance company in the U.S.  You speak of your particularly case with AXA, because AXA is the go between but in my case and the majority I've seen there is no middle person and therefore no language translation. 

Example.. Recently a retired friend using Bangkok/Pattaya his insurance is Blue Cross of California provided by a government transit service,  there is no AXA involved then there is a 15-16 hour difference so getting someone to called from Bangkok/Pattaya at a particular time when the office was open in California was a problem especially when a particular procedure had to be done.  Finally,  the insurance company told Bangkok/Pattaya we aren't going to cover the procedure since due to the Language and the high monetary quoted for the procedure.

Majority of Insurance I've been associated in the private sector don't use a middle person like AXA.  A example.. if you are in a private sector Union like with UPS,  which is Teamster, money each month is given to the Teamster, the local conference administrates their winning bid plan like Blue Cross/Shield not every plan that has Blue Cross/Shield provide the same service, coverage or even premium and uses no middle person therefore has regular offices hours.  Given your situation you are very lucky my opinion is 90% has to submit themselves as noted.

A few year before I was on Medicare, I was at Bumrungrad and ask them if they can do a direct billing with my Blue Cross/Shield plan Administrated by my Union office answer was no.

My question was directed at the original poster,  the reason at 50 being retired I guess he might be cover by the Government because it is rare in the private sector unless he was a CEO and got a Golden Parachute and if so he wouldn't be asking the question on this board?

Edited by thailand49

A little educational side-note for some of you guys.... Vietnam is NOT spelled Viet Nam, it is being spelled Vietnam.... And the people are called Vietnamese...

So if you in the very same sentence, write Viet Nam and then Vietnamese... How are you thinking?? Shouldn´t you really write it as; Viet Namese in your own thinking!!

Just thinking..

glegolo

20 minutes ago, glegolo said:

A little educational side-note for some of you guys.... Vietnam is NOT spelled Viet Nam, it is being spelled Vietnam.... And the people are called Vietnamese...

So if you in the very same sentence, write Viet Nam and then Vietnamese... How are you thinking?? Shouldn´t you really write it as; Viet Namese in your own thinking!!

Just thinking..

glegolo

It is spelled Viet Nam in Vietnamese , two words .

Although Westerners usually miss the space out

29 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It is spelled Viet Nam in Vietnamese , two words .

Although Westerners usually miss the space out

This is a forum where english is being spoken..

And in english it is called Vietnam and vietnamese...

glegolo

26 minutes ago, glegolo said:

This is a forum where english is being spoken..

And in english it is called Vietnam and vietnamese...

glegolo

Vietnam , Viet-nam, Viet Nam are all acceptable in the English language to describe Viet Nam and it is two words in its own language

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 3:20 AM, ubonjoe said:

1. It has to be separate incomes if both of you apply for extensions of stay at immigration based upon retirement. Your wife can apply for an extension for being your spouse that is based upon your extension without financial proof.

2. After getting your extensions you will need re-entry permits to keep them valid if you want to travel.

3. You need to check with your insurance provider to get the correct answer.

Another option is to get a OA long stay visa at the Thai embassy or one of the official consulate in New York, Chicago or Los Angeles. The OA visa is multiple entry visa that allows unlimited one year entries for one year from the date it is issued. You can get almost 2 years of total stay by getting a new one year entry just before the visa expires.

Info is here: http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-oa/

I get a bit confused on the visas - I'll apply for the OA visa for myself. I apply for OA visa for my wife,  or the O visa?  If the  O visa for her, then before the end of 90 days, apply for a extension to match my OA visa? Or, if I apply for the OA visa for my wife,  the income requirement on her application will be waived as she is my wife/dependent?

We've been back in the US and other countries a while now. Now trying to arrange things, and get visas, get back to Thailand before end of year. Some things I found, and some questions to clear things for me.

My BCBS insurance (Teamster retirement benefit) will cover us, no time limit, well at least until I turn  65. It's possible that they can set up direct payment to a Thai hospital. Seems that would be on a case by case basis, at least according to the representative.  There are about 10 facilities in Bangkok listed as in their "network". (Thanks for the BCBSGlobalCore Link!)

What kind of cash/credit "reserve" would anyone recommend keeping in case of a medical emergency? I guess we could bring a lump of cash and open a bank account - kinda hate carrying a lot of cash though.

Also, on the OA visa application, the arrival flight, where we will stay, a local contact information is required.   At the time we submit the application, we won't have this information - does this matter?

My wife could apply for US citizenship, as she's been in the US over 12 years, she's not been too interested so far. Probably will soon though, for future SS benefits if nothing else. Going to speak with a immigration lawyer soon about the "6 month rule" concerning her being out of the country, and Immigration declaring her abandoning her permanent resident status . According to US immigration web site info, there is no actual "6 month" rule. We do have a house, grown daughters. A couple cars, bank, credit cards, etc, in her name. This is why we were going to limit our stay to a bit less than 6 months a time. Anyone have any practical experience with this?

Thanks for all the information, it's been a great help!

I'm sure I'll think of more questions.

We're ready to get back to Thailand.

Andy&Phuong

2 hours ago, andynphuong said:

I get a bit confused on the visas - I'll apply for the OA visa for myself. I apply for OA visa for my wife,  or the O visa?  If the  O visa for her, then before the end of 90 days, apply for a extension to match my OA visa? Or, if I apply for the OA visa for my wife,  the income requirement on her application will be waived as she is my wife/dependent?

You wife would apply for a non-o visa and then she could get an extension of stay based upon your OA visa entry.

Reading you other post is she Thai? She does not need a visa in that case? She should use her Thai passport for entry.

1 hour ago, andynphuong said:

Also, on the OA visa application, the arrival flight, where we will stay, a local contact information is required.   At the time we submit the application, we won't have this information - does this matter?

You could use any address in Thailand for it. Not really that important.

1 hour ago, andynphuong said:

My wife could apply for US citizenship, as she's been in the US over 12 years, she's not been too interested so far. Probably will soon though, for future SS benefits if nothing else.

She does not need to be a US citizen to get SS payments.

To get keep her permanent residency in the US she need to get a re-entry permit. But that subject belongs on the visas for other countries forum.

Thanks for clearing up the O/OA visa question. Wife is Viet, so will need visa for her too. I had read about the SS/citizen info in another thread. appears not factual. Wife is a decade away from SS anyhows. Seems we'll probably keep our next visit around  a six month duration due to a variety of reasons.

Thank you for your help!

• 1 month later...

Thanks to the information and help I received here, we received our O/A & O visas yesterday. When we dropped the applications off, the woman checking over our application in the consular office looked at my income letter, grabbed a calculator, started punching the keys, held up the calculator and told me; "we have a income requirement, it is 800,000 baht. You do not meet it".  My letter was my monthly pension amount. I quizzed her, and she realized her mistake. (After all the income issues I've been reading here, worried me for a second)

We got the O/A visa for me, and my wife got a multiple entry O visa.   WE will have to return to the USA around mid-May.  Our visas are valid until 11/07/2019. A few more questions, please.

1. While we are in Thailand, we be subject to the 90 day reporting, correct? What is the easiest/fastest way to do this - at the office, by a agent, or online? (I'm a bit wary of the mail method)

2. When we leave Thailand, prior to leaving, we both will need to apply for and receive a "re-entry permit", correct? Easiest option, agent?

3. The thinking is, since we have to leave Thailand around mid May, we want to return in time to extend our visas - we will be able to extend for 1 year, correct? What date should we be back to Thailand by?

Many thanks for all the information. I've read around, but still would like some confirmation of what I think I understand. So far, I've not been able to find a copy of "Thai Visas for Dummies"

6 hours ago, andynphuong said:

We got the O/A visa for me, and my wife got a multiple entry O visa.   WE will have to return to the USA around mid-May.  Our visas are valid until 11/07/2019. A few more questions, please.

1. While we are in Thailand, we be subject to the 90 day reporting, correct? What is the easiest/fastest way to do this - at the office, by a agent, or online? (I'm a bit wary of the mail method)

2. When we leave Thailand, prior to leaving, we both will need to apply for and receive a "re-entry permit", correct? Easiest option, agent?

3. The thinking is, since we have to leave Thailand around mid May, we want to return in time to extend our visas - we will be able to extend for 1 year, correct? What date should we be back to Thailand by?

You will get a one year entry every time you enter the country up to the date it expires. You wife's visa will only allow 90 day entries but she can apply for an extension of stay for being your spouse based upon your OA visa entry during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from her visa.

1. You will need to do reports of staying longer than 90 consecutive days in the country. You can do them online, by mail or in person. The mail option works well. You send it to them by registered or express mail so you have record of it being received then the receipt is mailed back to you in a postage paid self addressed envelope you send with the report. For the return it is your choice as to the amount of postage put on it but in my opinion it is best to put enough on it for registered or EMS service.

2. You will not need a re-entry permit until after you visa expires to keep the last one year entry from it valid. If your wife applies for the extension at immigration she will need one to keep it valid.

3. You will get a new one year entry every time you enter the country up to the date your visa expires. If your wife gets an extension she would have to enter the country prior to the date it expires so she can apply for a new one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1