Retirement visa (s)?

Hello!

Looked around  for a few years off and on. I'm retired now. Both my wife and myself are over 50. I'm American, my wife is Viet. She has been living in the US for 12 years as a Permanent Resident/Green card. We'd like to spend a year or three in Thailand and have just started looking at getting a retirement visa or visas. We have a few questions though. 

1. Will my income (pension & social security) cover both of us (provided it is the required 130K baht), or will each have to have a separate income/savings to fulfill visa requirement?

2. We'll travel back to the US every 4-5 months and stay for up to a month. So, would another type of visa be a better choice for us?

3. Medical insurance - we're both cover by my medical/dental. But I understand Thai hospitals won't accept my US coverage. Is this correct? What would the best avenue to have insurance coverage be?

Thanks for any guidance, I know these questions may be basic

• Like 1

Both of you must get a Non immigrant "O"-VISA and theh after that you can apply for an extension of stay in Thailand (NOT a VISA) and you wife can apply the same as a dependent of you, not having to show anyh income....

Ubonjoeand others will answer you shortly more in detail...

glegolo

I concur with glegolo.  Once you have your visas, you can obtain Re-entry Permits to keep your visas alive while you are out of Thailand. Conversely, if you do not obtain these, your visas would be voided when you left Thailand, and you would have to start over.

Shorter term visas are for people who can't meet the qualifications for annual ones (and of course, for those only intending to stay for a shorter period).

30 minutes ago, andynphuong said:

3. Medical insurance - we're both cover by my medical/dental. But I understand Thai hospitals won't accept my US coverage. Is this correct?

Are you sure such insurance will be valid for long stays overseas?  Most is not.  As for hospitals accepting insurance some do accept some types of insurance for direct payment of in patient charges - but as said there are very few US policies that cover expat living.  

1. It has to be separate incomes if both of you apply for extensions of stay at immigration based upon retirement. Your wife can apply for an extension for being your spouse that is based upon your extension without financial proof.

2. After getting your extensions you will need re-entry permits to keep them valid if you want to travel.

3. You need to check with your insurance provider to get the correct answer.

Another option is to get a OA long stay visa at the Thai embassy or one of the official consulate in New York, Chicago or Los Angeles. The OA visa is multiple entry visa that allows unlimited one year entries for one year from the date it is issued. You can get almost 2 years of total stay by getting a new one year entry just before the visa expires.

Info is here: http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-oa/

• Thanks 1

Wow, Thanks for the prompt reply!

I guess the main thing, we're trying to avoid  having to leave every 3 months, since we'd be returning to the US about every 5th month, for maybe a month. We'd still be keeping address/bank, etc in the US, wouldn't be "cutting ties". So was thinking my insurance would be sufficient - if the hospitals accept. I'll have to check if it is voided after a certain period of time out of country. Blue Cross Blue Shield, if that info helps. 

The OA long stay visa requires you to leave the country every 90 days?

So, if my wife is over 50 years old, she is still eligible for the non-immigrant "O" or dependent visa? She would not be required to have a retirement visa?

This is a bit confusing. Thanks for the advice.

We've been here since March, bouncing back and for the between Bangkok and Vietnam. We just enjoy time in Thailand so much more than VN.

11 minutes ago, andynphuong said:

The OA long stay visa requires you to leave the country every 90 days?

The OA visa allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date it is issued.

You wife would get a single entry non-o visa that would allow a 90 day entry that can be extended for the length of your OA visa entry.

11 minutes ago, andynphuong said:

So, if my wife is over 50 years old, she is still eligible for the non-immigrant "O" or dependent visa? She would not be required to have a retirement visa?

She can apply for the extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon your extension at any age. The is no maximum age for her to get it.

It doesn't matter if your wife is over 50.  She can still be your dependent.

The "90 day reporting" referred to on the consulates website is not a requirement that you leave the country. It is not actually part of the visa, and it applies to all foreigners who are here in Thailand for 90 days or more. It is simply a requirement that you confirm your place of residence.  Forgetting, or failing, to do it does not void your visa, though there is a fine payable.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, andynphuong said:

Blue Cross Blue Shield, if that info helps. 

FEP/Blue Cross Blue Shield has an international policy but believe most others are subject to local/state regulations so check carefully.  FEP does have direct billing with a handful of hospitals in Bangkok, using AXA, but for most usages would be reimbursement after filing overseas claim form.

• Thanks 1

1. Will my income (pension & social security) cover both of us (provided it is the required 130K baht), or will each have to have a separate income/savings to fulfill visa requirement?

The requirement is 800,000 baht in the bank.

Or 65,000 Baht monthly income.

Or a combination of the two.

Your Wife would not need any income if she applied as your dependent.

you might consider using tourist visas for this.  you get 60 days with a single entry tourist visa (SETV) and it can be extended for another 30 days at the immigration office near where you will be staying in thailand.  before your 90 days are up, you fly to vietnam to visit and you can apply for another tourist visa there.  that gives you 60 more days, maybe you return to USA after that (no need to apply for the 30 day extension).  then just repeat this process for your next trip.

you say you might only do it for one year and i assume you would plan to visit vietnam at some point during your stay(s).  so you aren't really going out of your way to get the tourist visa in vietnam.  as long as the timing of your visit there is flexible.

i just offer this up as an alternative.  if you are leaning more towards 3 years than 1 year, the OA is a better option.

edit - i now see a comment, 'we are trying to avoid leaving every 90 days'.  so the option i note won't work with that in mind.

Edited by buick

just be aware that is you come and go too many times here Immigration may Red Flag you and tell you to

get the correct visa (if u come and go on a tourist visa) so the 6 month visa option must be better. i have some

friends who own villas here or are working in the off-shore field and use thailand as their base, and only recently because they arrived on tourist visas so often during a certain period maybe 1 year they were told this and would not be allowed back in next time unless correct visas, another was simply put back on the plane to HKG. they too young to get retirement visas so opted for the Thai Elite card which is expensive but solved their immediate problems as all had personnel items here including cars/motorbikes and maybe families.... good luck.

17 hours ago, andynphuong said:

Blue Cross Blue Shield, if that info helps. 

For Bumrungrad Hospital as an example you need FEP to issue a Benefits Guarantee Letter to the hospital's Third Party Services Group in advance of your medical needs but after you have a confirmed appointment date. Depending on your medical needs the letter may indicate that you will need to pay upon check-out a deductible according to your specific FEP policy. According to current Medicare, when you reach 65 FEP, FEP can get supplemental Medicare payments applied towards your deductible after filing your claim.

You can file your claim online along with attachments such as receipts. FEP has translators who can read Thai if necessary. Claims are usually processed within 30 days or less. So when you must pay upfront for any of your medical needs using an American credit card, you'll likely get your reimbursement before your card payment is due.

Best to contact FEP before you leave the US for all your questions.

When you get the retirement visa from the Thai embassy in the US it will be a multiple entry visa for the first year.  So you can leave and come back in that year no problem.  After that if you get a 1 year extension from immigration in Thailand it will cost your 1,900 baht each.  For an additional 3,800 baht each you can get multiple entry again.  But if you are only leaving once or twice a year it is cheaper to get a single use reentry, 1,000 baht each.

As far as medical you can go to a government hospital here and see a doctor for about $1.50.  I recently had a growth removed from my back at the local hospital, outpatient, and the total cost including medicine to take home was about $23.  Private hospitals here are more expensive, some much more so such Bangkok Hospital, but more likely to take your insurance IF it covers you living here.  There is insurance you can buy here from companies such as BUPA that are pretty cheap for coverage just in Thailand.  But they will exclude lots of stuff for preexisting conditions. 

Edited by rwill

4 minutes ago, rwill said:

When you get the retirement visa from the Thai embassy in the US it will be a multiple entry visa for the first year.  So you can leave and come back in that year no problem.  After that if you get a 1 year extension from immigration in Thailand it will cost your 1,900 baht each.

The extension would not be needed or possible until the last one year entry from the OA visa was near ending. After the visas expires a re-entry permit can be obtained to keep that last entry valid if a person wants to travel.

It is possible to get almost 2 years of total stay from a OA by getting a new one year entry just before it expires and getting a re-entry permit to keep it valid.

My wife and I are US citizens (she was born in Thailand) and have separate BCBS coverage.  I am of Medicare age, but since that doesn't cover me outside of the US, I haven't signed up for Part B.  We are covered for routine care either in the US or abroad, but we need to use authorized providers, and Bumrungrad and Samitivej Hospitals are on BCBS's list.  We pay first for any outpatient services in BKK, but inpatient services can be paid directly from BCBS to the hospital.  Bumrungrad is very used to issuing proper receipts, which I submit online and receive reimbursement (minus the deductible and copay) in about 3 weeks by direct deposit to my US bank account.  I've never had a problem with their approval.  All fairly easy, and we are quite satisfied with this arrangement.  The website where the authorized providers are listed is www.bcbsglobalcore.com.  I submit my receipts here too. 

20 minutes ago, James2020 said:

We are covered for routine care either in the US or abroad, but we need to use authorized providers,

Are you sure on that?  For the FEP Blue Cross program you can use any provider for claim reimbursement (in or out patient) - you just have to use the preferred providers if you want direct inpatient payment to hospital.

Edit:  as I do not have the plan you mention can not access the website to check details.

Edited by lopburi3

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Are you sure on that?  For the FEP Blue Cross program you can use any provider for claim reimbursement (in or out patient) - you just have to use the preferred providers if you want direct inpatient payment to hospital.

Edit:  as I do not have the plan you mention can not access the website to check details.

Yes - I've used my BCBS coverage many times in BKK for routine care.  I just submit a claim online to get reimbursement.  When using inpatient coverage, the hospital bills BCBS direct, but sometimes it's quicker to just pay for it, and submit a claim for reimbursement later.  

I'm not sure what FEP stands for...

I seems that you need a BCBS contract number to sign into the website though, sorry about that.

I am USA retired and been through all your questions. Look at getting cignaglobal insurance on their website. It will cover you in every country in the world except USA and countries in war. If you wanted USA coverage it would cost you more and you could not be in the USA for more than 90 days a policy year. But sounds like you don’t need USA coverage. I have priced all medical insurance companies for the last two years. Cigna is cheapest and pays in USA dollars but I have a high deductible.  I only want coverage for major problem otherwise routine health care in Thailand is great and cheap compared to USA. Also please rent for a while before you buy anything. Rents are cheap and some neighborhoods and cities you will love and some you will not.  Travel around Thailand by bus or plane or rent a car.  I have rented a car for month at a time and seen a lot of Thailand. Don’t let the people who don’t drive tell you thailand is the worst place in the world to drive as they simply are not correct. Driving outside Bangkok is not hard and once you get use to the way Thais drive motorbikes then driving is fun and easy. You will also need to be careful driving in tourist places like Phuket where drunk tourist rent bikes and drive worse than anyone. Good luck to you both. 

1 hour ago, Wake Up said:

Driving outside Bangkok is not hard and once you get use to the way Thais drive motorbikes then driving is fun and easy. You will also need to be careful driving in tourist places like Phuket where drunk tourist rent bikes and drive worse than anyone.

Driving anywhere is a full time job and demands unrestricted concentration on the road and everyone else on it.  Drunk tourists are a very small consideration - Thai do drink and drive as much as anyone else and with the number of motorcycles going every direction under best of conditions I have chosen to pay for my transportation in last several decades and let those younger with faster reflex response avoid the other vehicles.  Driving in Thailand is not a pleasant experience in my opinion (not 50 years ago or today).  It may not be the worst place in the world to drive - but for those not adapt at extreme defensive driving it can be a real danger.  

Many thanks for the information and tips.

My medical insurance is actually through the Teamsters Union, filed through BCBS. Seems I've not been able to access the web site from here in Thailand. Will look into this in a couple weeks when back in the US. Depending on what we find with our insurance, we may be looking into Cigna.

We've been  visiting Vietnam and Thailand for about 15 years, just with recent retirement has a move become feasible. We spent 4 months last year, and this, bouncing between Thailand and Vietnam, just getting the 30 day exemption on arrival. As far as visa, Vietnam would be easier for us both, as she is Viet, and I have a visa exemption there, we just enjoy Thailand. Due to keeping up with my wife's green card requirements, and my wanting to get back into my shop in the US, remaining in Thailand in around 5+/- month increments seems to be our best option.

Neither of us has even thought about driving in Thailand. Driving here seems to be more 'civilized' than in Vietnam - I have driven there, but don't relish the thought anymore.

We'll be digesting all this info, and try to figure out which option suits us best.

Again, thanks for taking the time and sharing info with us!

AndynPhuong

13 minutes ago, andynphuong said:

Many thanks for the information and tips.

My medical insurance is actually through the Teamsters Union, filed through BCBS. Seems I've not been able to access the web site from here in Thailand. Will look into this in a couple weeks when back in the US. Depending on what we find with our insurance, we may be looking into Cigna.

We've been  visiting Vietnam and Thailand for about 15 years, just with recent retirement has a move become feasible. We spent 4 months last year, and this, bouncing between Thailand and Vietnam, just getting the 30 day exemption on arrival. As far as visa, Vietnam would be easier for us both, as she is Viet, and I have a visa exemption there, we just enjoy Thailand. Due to keeping up with my wife's green card requirements, and my wanting to get back into my shop in the US, remaining in Thailand in around 5+/- month increments seems to be our best option.

Neither of us has even thought about driving in Thailand. Driving here seems to be more 'civilized' than in Vietnam - I have driven there, but don't relish the thought anymore.

We'll be digesting all this info, and try to figure out which option suits us best.

Again, thanks for taking the time and sharing info with us!

AndynPhuong

You might need a VPN to axcess some sites in USA from Thailand.   I use " PureVPN " but there are many others even free ones.

Edited by Tony125
spelling

45 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Driving anywhere is a full time job and demands unrestricted concentration on the road and everyone else on it.  Drunk tourists are a very small consideration - Thai do drink and drive as much as anyone else and with the number of motorcycles going every direction under best of conditions I have chosen to pay for my transportation in last several decades and let those younger with faster reflex response avoid the other vehicles.  Driving in Thailand is not a pleasant experience in my opinion (not 50 years ago or today).  It may not be the worst place in the world to drive - but for those not adapt at extreme defensive driving it can be a real danger.  

IMO and after driving from BKK to most of the northern and southern provinces it is the tourist motorbikes that are the worst drivers.  Thais drive differently especially motorbikes but if you learn and adapt to their rules and do not impose your own road rules driving is fun and not more dangerous here than Chicago Illinois or any other place.  I know people shout a statistic and disagree so I am not here to debate but I have done it and thankful I did not believe all the driving misinformation produced daily on Thai visa.  But no need to argue with the people that do not drive but can read and thus are driving experts.  To the OP just don’t let these people keep you from hitting the road and take lots of road trips. It will show you a lot of Thailand and you will meet a lot of Thais that are genuine and polite you will realize Thailand and Thai visa are two different planets. 

About driving in Thailand - I rented a car and drove in Phuket for a week about 10 years ago, until I was hit by a cement truck, and I always let someone else do the driving after that.  In the US, I never think much about driving, but here I constantly needed to pay attention.  It wasn't fun.  Certainly some can learn to drive, but we can ride for an hour in a Grabcar for $10, and I can let someone younger do the driving (I'm 69), so it's much easier for me.  You have to be quite skilled to drive here.

The Thais were very efficient though - when I had the accident, my wife (Thai)  told me to go sit on the grass and be quiet, so I did what I was told.  Within a few minutes a policeman arrived, as did the insurance adjuster for the car rental company, the insurance agent for the cement truck, an ambulance, and a hearse.  The latter two left right away when they saw that their services weren't needed, the policeman decided it was my fault (it was), and within an hour I was back on the road with a new rental car.  No one asked for my license or even talked to me, and when I returned the new rental car, I had to pay the insurance deductible of $250, and that's all there was to it.   

At 50, retired is the medical insurance purchased individually or provided as a benefit from your retirement?

Blue Cross/Shield,  from my experience you will need to pay up front first since because as noted very few has billing relationship outside the country. Then there is a time difference language problem and majority of the private hospital want to be paid ASAP.  You will need to pay up front and submit the invoices to your insurance to get your money back. From my experience you will need to use a International Accredited Hospital?

7 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

At 50, retired is the medical insurance purchased individually or provided as a benefit from your retirement?

Blue Cross/Shield,  from my experience you will need to pay up front first since because as noted very few has billing relationship outside the country. Then there is a time difference language problem and majority of the private hospital want to be paid ASAP.  You will need to pay up front and submit the invoices to your insurance to get your money back. From my experience you will need to use a International Accredited Hospital?

Not sure who you are asking - in my case insurance is a benefit of employment/retirement in that part is paid by government and part is paid by retiree.  As for FEP/Blue Cross there are direct billing arrangements with many overseas hospitals for inpatient service and there is no time difference/language issue as they use AXA for such claim payment (who are on the ground just about everywhere), but indeed direct payment would only be a handful of those hospitals actually available.  There is no such thing as "International Accredited Hospital" - accreditation is a private and unrelated matter and not an insurance issue with the policy I have.