Conflicting info on the 2 tourist visa rule?

The thread above said both 1) The 2 visa rule applies only to the same border crossing and 2) It does not (or air crossings do not apply).

Thread is 7 months old though. Anyone have an update on which it is?

My situation is: blank passport other than expired ED visa, going back to tourist visas and border runs for a while but unsure how to maximize them. Located in Pattaya BTW

Edited by Hal65

Hi all, as I understand IOs can't deny the 2 VE entry by land as this is the stated rule, correct? I was just wondering, when entering by air, does it mean that you're allowed at least 2 times each calendar year (and possibly more if you don't use back to back VE to live long time in the country), or that you could in theory be denied even with zero or one VE in a single calendar year ? Of course provided that you have the stated requirements, onward flight, 10k baht and hotel bookings.

Thanks ! 

3 minutes ago, thaifarang1 said:

Hi all, as I understand IOs can't deny the 2 VE entry by land as this is the stated rule, correct? I was just wondering, when entering by air, does it mean that you're allowed at least 2 times each calendar year (and possibly more if you don't use back to back VE to live long time in the country), or that you could in theory be denied even with zero or one VE in a single calendar year ? Of course provided that you have the stated requirements, onward flight, 10k baht and hotel bookings.

Thanks ! 

The IO can deny you for multiple reasons if you piss him off. 

This is my favorite. post-26779-0-20235700-1411056240_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, thaifarang1 said:

Thanks ! 

You can be denied entry any time you are entering visa exempt. As a practical matter, the only land crossing where you are likely to be denied your two visa exempt entries per calendar year is Poipet/Aran. There are absolutely no hard and fast rules when entering by air. If you have spent significant time in Thailand in the last year, an official at the airport might deny you entry on your first visa exempt, though this would not be common. If spending a significant percentage of the time in Thailand, use visas. Reserve visa exempt entries by land for emergencies.

• Like 1

Another bit of fiction by a clueless person posted in an educational forum to live and disinform the masses for ages to come.  Well done!  Lets make this the last reminder: A "border run" is not the same as a "visa run".

6 hours ago, thaifarang1 said:

Thanks ! 

of course they can deny u entry. entering Thailand is NOT guaranteed, even with a visa

To avoid being refused;

dress nice, speak nice, carry 20,000 baht and a print out of ur hotel reservation. PLUS, a good story about where ur off to after 30 days if asked.
pick an older immigration official and dont get in line with a bunch of Chinese

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, thaifarang1 said:

Hi all, it seems the Hull Consulate has published something which looks like an "official" rule regarding the 3 VE in 6 months by air (published in April '18). Anyone aware of new regulations recently issued ?

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/pdf/thai-visa-exemption-rule.pdf

thanks!

No such rule exists. It appears to be the old 90 days in 6 months rule that was rescinded in 2008.