health insurance for accidents

Hello,

does anyone know of reasonably priced health insurance for an expat in Thailand?  I have checked out many online quotes and the best I have received is about $1144 USD from Health Care International for basic coverage with a $2000 deductable.

I am only really concerned about having coverage for an accident as I ride a motorcycle (scooter). Is there perhaps a Thai company with a plan eligible for foreigners?

I am 60 years old.

thanks

I have a basic policy thru AXA Insurance which is arranged by AA Insurance Brokers... 

It provides 250,000 baht in the event of motorcycle accident (no deductible) and annual premium is 4,200 baht....

You get a nice insurance card in Thai to give to the hospital...

I know someone will be along to chime in and say that that’s not enough and say a friend had an accident that costs millions... But for me on a scooter rarely on busy highways I feel this is adequate for the price...

It also covers any accident and has 500k life insurance...

• Like 1

I have a basic policy thru AXA Insurance which is arranged by AA Insurance Brokers... 

It provides 250,000 baht in the event of motorcycle accident (no deductible) and annual premium is 4,200 baht....

I know someone will be along to chime in and say that that’s not enough and say a friend had an accident that costs millions... But for me on a scooter rarely on busy highways I feel this is adequate for the price...

I have the same accident insurance with Axa, had a bad accident 2 months ago total cost 38,000bht no problems at all, my premium is around 7,000 with English card, I'm interested as to how you paid 4,200?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

^^^ Not sure of price difference?... maybe age or location... Me Chiang Mai and 55... Had the policy for about five years... My card is bilingual Thai & English...

727073D1-5D15-435E-9C7C-CEA592F2771E.jpeg

5136B800-DACA-4B0F-AF61-60B83915ACB3.jpeg

Edited by sfokevin

On 6/28/2018 at 11:09 AM, Badrabbit said:

I have the same accident insurance with Axa, had a bad accident 2 months ago total cost 38,000bht no problems at all, my premium is around 7,000 with English card, I'm interested as to how you paid 4,200?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 6/28/2018 at 11:18 AM, sfokevin said:

^^^ Not sure of price difference?... maybe age or location... Me Chiang Mai and 55... Had the policy for about five years... My card is bilingual Thai & English...

727073D1-5D15-435E-9C7C-CEA592F2771E.jpeg

5136B800-DACA-4B0F-AF61-60B83915ACB3.jpeg

Possibly slightly different policy options shown here - as sfokevin medical expenses only 125k although mc 250k

Sabuyjai My Life_01032018.pdf

1 hour ago, topt said:

Possibly slightly different policy options shown here - as sfokevin medical expenses only 125k although mc 250k

Sabuyjai My Life_01032018.pdf

Mine seemed to be My Life C - Plan 3 with occupation Class 1... 125 Accident/250 Mororcycle... When my renewal comes up I will ask about moving up to the 250/500 plan

Edited by sfokevin

On 6/28/2018 at 10:44 AM, sfokevin said:

I don't understand the logic of buying insurance for an amount ($8,000) you can probably cover out of pocket, while leaving yourself uninsured for the accident that's going to bankrupt you and end your Thai adventure.

I'd rather have insurance with a 250,000 deductible (or annual out-of-pocket maximum) and coverage in the millions of baht. 

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, impulse said:

I don't understand the logic of buying insurance for an amount ($8,000) you can probably cover out of pocket, while leaving yourself uninsured for the accident that's going to bankrupt you and end your Thai adventure.

I'd rather have insurance with a 250,000 deductible (or annual out-of-pocket maximum) and coverage in the millions of baht. 

I pay 4,200 baht to cover 99.9% of the probable accidents for a middle aged guy putzing around on his moped...

I have shown in detail the plan I have...

Can you now from your armchair show us a detailed plan from an insurer that covers the last .1% for a reasonable price?... 

Edited by sfokevin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BestB said:

I am little confused here guys, i have health insurance, should i have an accident and be in the hospital, my health insurance would cover that no?

That depends... Read your policy coverage fine print... Many 

policies specifically limit payouts in the event of a motorcycle accidents...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sfokevin said:

That’s travel, not health

12 hours ago, sfokevin said:

I pay 4,200 baht to cover 99.9% of the probable accidents for a middle aged guy putzing around on his moped...

I have shown in detail the plan I have...

Can you now from your armchair show us a detailed plan from an insurer that covers the last .1% for a reasonable price?... 

The purpose of catastrophic insurance is to cover catastrophic events.  $8,000 of coverage isn't going to get you far if you're in a bad scooter wreck.  It may smooth out cash flow if you have a minor scrape, but that's not what I use insurance for.

I can't speak for scooter coverage, but the difference for my 3rd class auto coverage between 1,000,000 baht and the 10,000,000 baht coverage I did buy, costs me less than 1,000 baht per year.  The insurance companies know (as you suggested)) that the odds of an accident between the 1MM THB and 10MM  THB payout are pretty slim, and their incremental risk weighted cost is reflected in the pricing.

The truck's too old to get 1st class insurance, and that's fine.  I can replace the truck out of pocket if it gets stolen or wrecked.  So I'm not eager to contribute to the insurance company profits since I know they don't work for free.  I am eager, however, to cover possibilities that could bankrupt me (or, put a genuine financial hurt on me).  Especially if it only costs $30 a year extra. 

How much extra would you have to pay for 10,000,000 in coverage?  If, as you claim, that would only be required for 0.1% of potential accidents (and only 0.1% of riders will be in an insurable accident anyway), do you figure that extra coverage may be pretty cheap?  Did you even look?

Then you won't be like hundreds of other guys whose Thailand adventure ended early because they got hurt and couldn't afford to stay.  Or, you can be like so many guys who think it's not going to happen to them.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

Or accident, which is what the OP is enquiring about.

Was not my question. My question was if I have health insurance and end up in an accident, I should be covered by heath insurance and would not need accident?

2 hours ago, BestB said:

Was not my question. My question was if I have health insurance and end up in an accident, I should be covered by heath insurance and would not need accident?

The post I was replying to said " That’s travel, not health ", not much question in that. I was correcting that because it was not travel insurance but accident insurance the poster you replied to was referring to.

But to answer your question, yes, health insurance will cover medical expenses due to accidents.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

The post I was replying to said " That’s travel, not health ", not much question in that. I was correcting that because it was not travel insurance but accident insurance the poster you replied to was referring to.

But to answer your question, yes, health insurance will cover medical expenses due to accidents.

I know following a conversation does prove to be a problem for some

• Sad 1

On 6/30/2018 at 9:59 PM, BestB said:

I am little confused here guys, i have health insurance, should i have an accident and be in the hospital, my health insurance would cover that no?

Always known them as separate my health is for hospital stay not out patient but has a life cover..

The accident one I stopped because I am covered already on m/c & truck insurance.

On 7/2/2018 at 3:32 PM, BestB said:

I know following a conversation does prove to be a problem for some

So you confuse a conversation by giving incorrect information (nothing about travel here), when that is correct you argue about a question in that answer, which is not there, and when your question posed is answered you reply by throwing around insults.

Nice guy you are.

41 minutes ago, stevenl said:

So you confuse a conversation by giving incorrect information (nothing about travel here), when that is correct you argue about a question in that answer, which is not there, and when your question posed is answered you reply by throwing around insults.

Nice guy you are.

What are you on about? Go back and read instead of making foolish statements 

• Sad 1

On 7/1/2018 at 2:48 AM, sfokevin said:

Right or ask the the insurance company he is insured with, I wouldn't ask here on TV what I'm insured for with my health Thailife insurance company policy cover it is arranged on my needs and at affordable price I can manage.

1 hour ago, BestB said:

What are you on about? Go back and read instead of making foolish statements 

No foolish statements made apart from your question how would we we know what your health policy covers, my health cover does not include road accidents only home accidents.

I can arrange to add m/c, car/truck road accident with them if I wish but it's a separate policy.

Some insurance companies cover differently is my guess.

Edited by Kwasaki

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

No foolish statements made apart from your question how would we we know what your health policy covers, my health cover does not include road accidents only home accidents.

I can arrange to add m/c, car/truck road accident with them if I wish but it's a separate policy.

Some insurance companies cover differently is my guess.

Exactly why the question . Health insurance covers hospitalization for whatever reason besides noted pre existing conditions . So in theory any injury resulting in being hospitalised should be covered, walk, skipped , broke hip or car or bike.

travel insurance is another matter as it has specific cases of what is covered 

so my question and confusion was if one had health insurance then accident insurance should not be required, 

3 hours ago, BestB said:

so my question and confusion was if one had health insurance then accident insurance should not be required, 

Well road accident insurance in my case is required in addition to my health insurance..

1 minute ago, BestB said:

Not at all, a genuine question but never mind 

Hang on, I didn't want to bother with health ins, found quotes too expensive and just found out-patient care was OK for me..

The unexpected hospital emergency happened so my Mrs shopped around after I contracted Dengue fever because the hospital bill came to quite a bit of dosh.

My Mrs found Thailife health ins catered for me at a reasonable price have been with them 4 years now. ?