New 3 year visas coming out next year any one else hear that

Just now, BritTim said:

There have been reports (back last year) about such a visa for retirement. If you search the forum, you can find threads about it. It is the first I have heard about a three-year marriage visa.

First I heard of it to that’s why I am asking if anyone else heard about it and might have more details 

thx 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Not so easy as making a new police order. 

Immigration act states maximum 1 year extension of stay. 

Same for visa entries.

The immigration act of 1979 has not been changed since it was issued so not likely to be done any time soon. It is almost as if it has a big do not touch sign on it. They have done a few work arounds with ministerial orders but that is it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

It would be smart for them to do it.

A lot of this is obviously about the money so just charge approx. 3 times as much that they do now for the one year.

With this, they have the money up front as opposed to the unknown of people leaving/overstaying during that time.

Hope they do it a win win it seems.

They want long stay people to leave.

• Like 1

I wouldn't hold my breath on this as if it brought in, it is likely to come with all kinds of unwelcome/odious new requirements. Wasn't there talk of having to keep 100k+ in the bank for 3 years for the mooted 5 year visa?

Remember the enthusiasm for the 6m METV? Reality was ridiculous requirements - Not many employers will give a letter guaranteeing they will re-employ you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Same for visa entries.

The immigration act of 1979 has not been changed since it was issued so not likely to be done any time soon. It is almost as if it has a big do not touch sign on it. They have done a few work arounds with ministerial orders but that is it.

By "same for visa entries" are you referring to the maximum amount of permission you can be granted to stay based on the visa entry?

I.e. when you enter using a visa and you're given a certain permission of stay, based on the visa, before any extensions of stay, is that also one year max by the 1979 law?

Edited by jerry921
change wording

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Same for visa entries.

Interested in why you think that as personally I would not be confident of that - the world has changed - mass exodus out of Africa/Middle East/Indian Subcontinent* and Chinese setting up businesses everywhere often seemingly without the required paperwork or using fake Thai ID. So many more visitors to Thailand and even a small % of that putting down roots means a lot of people - in 1979 visitors were probably in single digit millions and most actual non Malaysian tourists to Thailand were probably Europe/US. There has been as much tightening as possible within the existing laws (albeit in response to abuses/out of spirit of things uses  - 30 day visa and 1 year Multi Non B were not meant for year round stays). If they want to further restrict long term staying the next step is likely a change in the law - only 180 days in 1 year was apparently discussed. The only counter is how much the Thai Chinese depend on condo rentals.

+Note which nationalities can't do visa run

China,Ukraine,Nepal,India,Pakistan,Taiwan,
Egypt,Syria,Iran,Iraq, Kenya,Uruguay,Romania,
Cyprus,Maldives,Malta
  Can’t Use Our Visa Run.
Can’t Cross Border in Ban Laem.

http://bangkokbuddy.com/thai-visa-run/

Edited by mokwit
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, jerry921 said:

By "same for visa entries" are you referring to the maximum amount of permission you can be granted to stay based on the visa entry?

I.e. when you enter using a visa and you're given a certain permission of stay, based on the visa, before any extensions of stay, is that also one year max by the 1979 law?

Yes it is the same for a entry from a visa that allows a stay that long. For example a OA long stay visa allows a one year entry.

6 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Interested in why you think that as personally I would not be confident of that

I don't think that it is a well known fact that immigration act has not been changed since it was issued. Not even a amendment of it has been done. Look at it here, Immigration Act B.E. 2522 English translation

A I wrote there have been ministerial orders done as allowed by the act. For example their is one for visa exempt entries and the black listing for overstays.

• Like 1

Just now, ubonjoe said:

I don't think that it is a well known fact that immigration act has not been changed since it was issued. Not even a amendment of it has been done. Look at it here, Immigration Act B.E. 2522 English translation

A I wrote there have been ministerial orders done as allowed by the act. For example their is one for visa exempt entries and the black listing for overstays.

Yes, but why do you think there won't be because there has not been before - the current govt seems to be enacting changes in many laws. Not trying to pick a fight, I am genuinely interested in your reasoning. if you don't have time, post "No Time" as answer is accepted.

8 minutes ago, mokwit said:
12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes, but why do you think there won't be because there has not been before - the current govt seems to be enacting changes in many laws.

I would say it is my opinion. I think it all boils down to there not being any political will to amend it or issue a new one. If they tried the Thai bureaucracy in Bangkok would fight it tooth and nail.

That is why they have issued ministerial orders as work arounds.  

• Like 2