Saturday Night on Nimmanhamin===LAME!

heybruce

5 hours ago, heybruce said:

Certainly seemed like you were calling all pretties prostitutes earlier.  Or is your position that if a woman sells sex for a high price she isn't a prostitute?

hey! bruce! You're dragging your own topic OFF TOPIC!

...again.

5 hours ago, heybruce said:

If you want a summary of the last ten years of economic change in Chiang Mai you'll have to research that yourself.

As noted earlier in this topic, there are still places that Thais and foreignors of all ages go to (primarily young Thais), but they have dispersed.  Nimmanhamin used to be the place where you had many appealing restaurants and bars within easy walking distance of each other, that is no longer the case.

So not only are you totally clueless as to why the CM social scene that you inferred that you are so knowledgeable on has changed, you also seem similarly challenged on finding out why.

Carry on tipping the pretties... it's probably just about commensurate with your current level in the CM social and Thai cultural strata.

With all that flatulence about defending the honor of Thai pub pretties, I am beginning to suspect early-onset mid-life crisis.

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

So not only are you totally clueless as to why the CM social scene that you inferred that you are so knowledgeable on has changed, you also seem similarly challenged on finding out why.

Carry on tipping the pretties... it's probably just about commensurate with your current level in the CM social and Thai cultural strata.

With all that flatulence about defending the honor of Thai pub pretties, I am beginning to suspect early-onset mid-life crisis.

So you are not only clueless about Chiang Mai, you also are not willing to inform yourself on the subject.  As I stated earlier, read this topic, paying attention to the posts about this topic.  Otherwise you come across as an old man with way too much free time who uses it to troll on topics of no interest to him.

Also, once again, I'm not defending the honor of Thai pretties.  I contest blanket statements that imply they are prostitutes. 

After you've lost all arguments, I'm not surprised you are crediting me with assertions I never made.  Stop trolling old man, get a life.

Edited by heybruce

1 hour ago, Paul Catton said:

Maybe try the Lism Cafe, seems to be an at the moment "in-place" of the nieces/nephews

Lism Cafe

Tried it.  Nice setting, poor food, poor service.  Also (TBL will like this) it is one of the places that aren't particularly welcoming to foreigners.  Much like Lism when it was on Nimman soi 7.

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

hey! bruce! You're dragging your own topic OFF TOPIC!

...again.

Hey. old troll.  I am refuting assertions that are clearly false.  It's a tedious but necessary task to prevent clueless people from turning the topic into a forum for their uniformed and off-topic opinions.

BTW, what on-topic and informed information have you contributed?

4 hours ago, heybruce said:

Hey. old troll.  I am refuting assertions that are clearly false.  It's a tedious but necessary task to prevent clueless people from turning the topic into a forum for their uniformed and off-topic opinions.

BTW, what on-topic and informed information have you contributed?

Just shining a big, bright light on your pretentious and arrogant ass.

...but Puwa did it SO much better

The OP is one of those hero's who prefers to fly alone, eat alone, drink alone, etc.. Typically they never used to be like that but convince themselves that they chose this social withdrawal when faced with mixing with other people that they claim they found disagreeable. The truth is the 'other people' were the ones that left him alone at the bar, club and increasingly declined his offers to dine together. Chances are, those that do have a life are still having a half-decent time in CM but avoid lurking in the sort of overpriced places where the OP seems to have found a perch. They must be so much more clever and worldly.

He also is running scared on something he cannot control... his age.

That's what a mid-life crisis will do for you.

On 7/6/2018 at 11:07 AM, heybruce said:

Chiang Mai University students rarely have jobs because the expectations of the university leave no time for it.  My favorite former student, the one studying for her PhD in Korea now, was raised by semi-literate parents and would save a few baht a day, some by recycling bottles, all semester to afford to go to out with friends at the end of the semester.

Don't mean to drift too far off topic ? but I know quite a few university students (3 in the family, friend's kids, kids in the moobaan, etc.), and none of them are digging through trash cans looking for recyclables so they can go out once at the end of the term.? CMU students rarely have jobs? Any research data to back that up? Most of the students I know are doing quite well and go out often, travel to the islands, etc. Yes, some get an allowance but not all of them.  I think the student who fed you the line about digging in the trash for bottles and tin cans was hoping you would be a sponsor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Puwa said:

Only a guy with serious self-esteem problems spends days in anonymous, masturbatory fever posting incessantly about his expert knowledge of women.

I know nothing about women, I just pay them for sex.

I know nothing about cars either, I just pay to fill them up and drive.

Come to think of it ............

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Puwa said:

Predictably, 10pm came and went without a single taker. For all the talk of seeking cheap beer, my offer of  free beer was not enough to entice them. For all the talk about venues, the offer to let them choose a venue did not entice them.

As we say back on ranch, these guys are all hat, no horse. 

Why do I care? Why did I offer to invest time and money to entertain these losers? Because I know they are all full of BS. 

I found the whole "I know more about the scene than you do, and can expertly parse the background and motivation of any woman I meet" conversation intolerable. Ignorance wrapped in arrogance.

I came here when I was 23, and  spent about 20 of the ensuing 26 years living, working, and enjoying myself in Thailand (mostly CM but other  provinces too). I have known women of all descriptions. Some drove tractors, others drove Benzes, most drove me crazy. PhD or Pratom, Nong Khai or Nonthaburi, Louis Vitton or Lek Carabao-- I never lost sight that we were just two human specimens ticking away our time on this planet, heading as we all do towards the same final destination. I do not find it difficult to practice and maintain a modicum of respect for the circumstances of their lives, whatever those may be.

Keyboard Casanovas, Don Juans of Doi Saket, Playboys of Pakkred-- I've seen a thousand cats just like you. What you have in common is that you are little boys, not men. You think you're king of the playground, when in fact you are sitting on cat shit in the sandbox. Believe me, women sniff you out on first inspection. Only a guy with serious self-esteem problems spends days in anonymous, masturbatory fever posting incessantly about his expert knowledge of women.

So, just as the playground bully needs a bloody nose from time to time to keep him in line, so do these weak willies need to have their drawers pulled down in public to help them recover their lost humility, and spare the rest of us from their inchoate ejaculations of bravado and opinion.

Have a nice day. Puwa out.

but you just did, what you accuse others of doing.  You did provide more proof that many English teachers still don't realize they are somewhere between missionary and she-male on the social totem pole.  No one took you up on your offer,  because there is no good place to go.  And in twenty years, you should have figured out that the ladies tend to be shy and your chances of success are better in a group of one of two.  An English teacher with a prison haircut, who barely just paid rent, and is still recovering from his third motorbike accident is not eexactly an icebreaker.  I have seen plenty like you in  20 years.  Far  fewer since I quit doing mini-bus trips, but still..too many.  Now, you are in Thailand out of necessity, at the mercy of whatever school will hire you, instead of an African or Eastern European.  You claim to be more Thai than the Thais, but are usually the one being told "cannot.". And of course, you did not name one solitary place to grab a cold one. ..as much as it might embarrass you, there is really nothing wrong with having a shot at romance, when going out for a few...something that seems to have been lost in CM.  Maybe it was all the ramblings of those with one foot in the grave, maybe it was the proliferation of gay men in the area, camouflaged by countless Chinese, maybe it was simply skyrocketing land costs...but the fact is that almost all the fun is gone from the area, and not a single poster provided evidence, otherwise.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Just shining a big, bright light on your pretentious and arrogant ass.

...but Puwa did it SO much better

The OP is one of those hero's who prefers to fly alone, eat alone, drink alone, etc.. Typically they never used to be like that but convince themselves that they chose this social withdrawal when faced with mixing with other people that they claim they found disagreeable. The truth is the 'other people' were the ones that left him alone at the bar, club and increasingly declined his offers to dine together. Chances are, those that do have a life are still having a half-decent time in CM but avoid lurking in the sort of overpriced places where the OP seems to have found a perch. They must be so much more clever and worldly.

He also is running scared on something he cannot control... his age.

That's what a mid-life crisis will do for you.

Puwa was referring to people like you, someone who apparently has never been to Chiang Mai and knows nothing about Nimman but posts ignorant assertions about the people who work or go out there.  I have consistently maintained that the pretties are women not that different from women working in bars and restaurants around the world, you have posted long past descriptions of prostitution in other parts of Thailand and stated it applies to these women you've never met and the places you've never been.

Regarding my social life, it takes a special, foolish arrogance to assume you know that much about someone you've never met. 

4 hours ago, elektrified said:

Don't mean to drift too far off topic ? but I know quite a few university students (3 in the family, friend's kids, kids in the moobaan, etc.), and none of them are digging through trash cans looking for recyclables so they can go out once at the end of the term.? CMU students rarely have jobs? Any research data to back that up? Most of the students I know are doing quite well and go out often, travel to the islands, etc. Yes, some get an allowance but not all of them.  I think the student who fed you the line about digging in the trash for bottles and tin cans was hoping you would be a sponsor.

I didn't say digging in garbage, I said saves recyclables.  I base my claim on the many CMU students I've known.  They've told me that CMU discourages students from working and I have no reason not to believe them.  I've known a few CMU students who held part-time jobs, but not many.  Students at other universities are a different matter.

Most of the students I've known do not have well off parents, the closest they had to a "vacation" was their mandatory internship between their junior and senior year.

9 hours ago, heybruce said:

Tried it.  Nice setting, poor food, poor service.  Also (TBL will like this) it is one of the places that aren't particularly welcoming to foreigners.  Much like Lism when it was on Nimman soi 7.

I think your expectations are too much for of a night on the tiles.

I may be wrong, expecting Michelin Star type of cuisine will be out of the question from any venue within this district and most others.

Districts do change entertainment wise upon the viability of patrons and their ability to provide service to such.

Regrettably I cannot provide a magic wand to be able to integrate you as acceptable.

2 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

I think your expectations are too much for of a night on the tiles.

I may be wrong, expecting Michelin Star type of cuisine will be out of the question from any venue within this district and most others.

Districts do change entertainment wise upon the viability of patrons and their ability to provide service to such.

Regrettably I cannot provide a magic wand to be able to integrate you as acceptable.

There is good Thai food and bad Thai food.  I've found that my perception of what is good or not is generally in agreement with my Thai friends.  I was unimpressed with the food at Lism.  I like the food at Rush Bar, but currently that is the only restaurant/bar in the area where I find good food and reasonable service.  There used to be many  more options.

9 minutes ago, heybruce said:

There is good Thai food and bad Thai food.  I've found that my perception of what is good or not is generally in agreement with my Thai friends.  I was unimpressed with the food at Lism.  I like the food at Rush Bar, but currently that is the only restaurant/bar in the area where I find good food and reasonable service.  There used to be many  more options.

Thank you for your honesty and the recommendation provided. Hopefully there are many that can provide alternative venues.

• Like 1

Last time I was at Lizm, it was all male waiters, who were shirtless.  Drank one lukewarm one out front, and bailed.  And during a small window, Club Cafe was much better...that outdoor area was kind of impressive for a dive..very nice TV.  Employees started playing g pool and ignoring customers, New owners took it down a few more notches, and woosh..down the toilet bowl...or maybe I should say splash since they seemed to be squat types.

3 hours ago, moontang said:

there is really nothing wrong with having a shot at romance, when going out for a few.

There's more than a chance at romance in the Loi Kroh boxing ring, now they've cleared most of the ladyboys out.

In fact, it's a dead cert!

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

There is good Thai food and bad Thai food. 

I don't eat in bars, bars are for getting drunk and embarrassing myself with the serving girls. not for eating quality food.

Kualek Cafe, over the iron bridge (opposite Rimping), is a decent compromise on food, drink (reasonable prices) and a live band by the river of an evening. The serving girls are all mingers though.

Edited by BritManToo

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't eat in bars, bars are for getting drunk and embarrassing myself with the serving girls. not for eating quality food.

Kualek Cafe, over the iron bridge (opposite Rimping), is a decent compromise on food, drink (reasonable prices) and a live band by the river of an evening. The serving girls are all mingers though.

Most Thai people snack while they eat, which is why most Thai bars are restaurant bars, many with very good food.

3 hours ago, moontang said:

but you just did, what you accuse others of doing.  You did provide more proof that many English teachers still don't realize they are somewhere between missionary and she-male on the social totem pole.  No one took you up on your offer,  because there is no good place to go.  And in twenty years, you should have figured out that the ladies tend to be shy and your chances of success are better in a group of one of two.  An English teacher with a prison haircut, who barely just paid rent, and is still recovering from his third motorbike accident is not eexactly an icebreaker.  I have seen plenty like you in  20 years.  Far  fewer since I quit doing mini-bus trips, but still..too many.  Now, you are in Thailand out of necessity, at the mercy of whatever school will hire you, instead of an African or Eastern European.  You claim to be more Thai than the Thais, but are usually the one being told "cannot.". And of course, you did not name one solitary place to grab a cold one. ..as much as it might embarrass you, there is really nothing wrong with having a shot at romance, when going out for a few...something that seems to have been lost in CM.  Maybe it was all the ramblings of those with one foot in the grave, maybe it was the proliferation of gay men in the area, camouflaged by countless Chinese, maybe it was simply skyrocketing land costs...but the fact is that almost all the fun is gone from the area, and not a single poster provided evidence, otherwise.

Ummm, how on earth did you come up with the idea that I'm an English teacher? Not that there's anything wrong with that profession, but no I am not and never have been a teacher of any kind. And where does the minibus come from? Mae Sai, presumably.  In fact I own more vehicles here than I probably should, two manufactured in Germany and one at a Honda plant on the eastern seaboard. Regardless, I feel the same way about dick-swinging when it comes to income and possessions as about other conquests. 

Your remind me of an old poster who went by many monikers (because he kept getting banned) but I always remember him as Thighlander, a miserable, peevish drunk whose only contributions to the forum involved beer, boasts about his coterie of Rajabhat prostitutes, and, inexplicably, tirades against Mexicans. 

Anyway, my comments were not aimed at any particular poster. That you recognized yourself and tried to mount a defense calls to mind that old one-liner, "I resemble that remark." 

2 hours ago, heybruce said:

Beer bar venues have never been synonym with an expectation on fine dining. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Paul Catton said:

Beer bar venues have never been synonym with an expectation on fine dining. 

You don't find the best Thai food at high end restaurants, you find it a affordable, open air places, which always sell beer and other drinks.

However, if by beer bar venues you are referring to the sleazy places with bar girls who don't look good without beer goggles, then I agree, I don't advise eating there.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

There's more than a chance at romance in the Loi Kroh boxing ring, now they've cleared most of the ladyboys out.

perhaps, the first and certainly not last, businesses in CM with a negative resale value, as in less than zero.  Food used to be acceptable, if not good, at John's Place....

Edited by moontang

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Far as I know Shamrock still exists at the moment, though the "girls" are on the bottom end of the "beauty" scales. The boxing ring bars are hardly over run with ladyboys, and haven't been in the past year that I've been living in C M.

Unfortunately, none of the "real thing" there ever did much for my libido, so I haven't been buying lady drinks for a good long while, which is good for the wallet.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Apparently you are not aware that coyotes ( pretties ) dance in gogos. 

I rarely go to go-gos, but when I have every woman dancing was a prostitute, not a pretty, and rarely pretty.

Coyote dancers in regular bars probably come from the same agencies that assign pretties for the drinks businesses.  The women who dance in, and are barfined out of, the go-gos do not.

I'm curious, do you ever go to bars that aren't hooker bars?  This is a real longshot, but do you ever go to bars that aren't expat or tourist bars?

Edited by heybruce