Plans to buy a property and visa requirements

48 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Some expats, to my mind, make the very simple mistake of comparing the price of a nice condo here against the price of a similar condo in their own country, especially sea view, and don't ask enough questions or the right questions.

In reply to a previous poster about me not knowing what % of condos can be foreign owned, I don't care because I never have or ever will live in one so I have 0% interest in them. That's just my choice. If he wants to live next door

( through the wall from ) to some noisly neighbour then he is welcome.

I don't have to be forced into buying anywhere to protect my interests or spend my money on anything I can't own.

You can own a condo 100% freehold in your own name.

So why are you offering so much advice on a topic you dont care about or have no knowledge about?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

You can own a condo 100% freehold in your own name.

So why are you offering so much advice on a topic you dont care about or have no knowledge about?

I'm commenting on the fact that expats get ripped off buying because they can be ripped off. If they are happy to live with it then it's up to them.

Expressing an opinion doesn't mean giving advice.

If I said golf would bore me to death then your post would mean I'm advising people not to play golf.

• Like 1

I have heard similar stories many times.  Most people try to get their money back and can't sell for years and years.  My personal benchmark is that foreigners in an unregulated market in Thailand pay 50% - 100% over the local price.  Applies to just about everything taxis, national parks, dentists, condos...

As I said there are good lifestyle reasons for owning a condo in Thailand but the financial justification is just not there.

Rubbish.Rubbish.Rubbish.

I paid less than others for same size unit .

Building 73 percent Thai ownership. NO AIR BNB ALLOWED, they have been driven out by the managress.

No they are not EASY to sell but going for 2-3 times what I paid for, ( shell/dump) and mine is highly upgraded and is corner unit with Mountain views,

Buying a Chiang Mai condo a good choice for a wise investor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Rubbish.Rubbish.Rubbish.

I paid less than others for same size unit .

Building 73 percent Thai ownership. NO AIR BNB ALLOWED, they have been driven out by the managress.

No they are not EASY to sell but going for 2-3 times what I paid for, ( shell/dump) and mine is highly upgraded and is corner unit with Mountain views,

Buying a Chiang Mai condo a good choice for a wise investor.

Good for you!  But an individual's experience is not always the general rule. I stand by what I say based on talking to many people and observing the property market in Thailand for 20+ years.  Condos in my block are "going" for 3-4 times what people paid but in the five years I have been living here not one has changed ownership.  Over the last three years I have regularly bumped into a guy who is trying to get back the 6 odd million baht he paid for his condo to no avail.  His life has been on hold all that time and I doubt he will ever accept that he either has to take a loss or just go on living there for the rest of his life.

13 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Good for you!  But an individual's experience is not always the general rule. I stand by what I say based on talking to many people and observing the property market in Thailand for 20+ years.  Condos in my block are "going" for 3-4 times what people paid but in the five years I have been living here not one has changed ownership.  Over the last three years I have regularly bumped into a guy who is trying to get back the 6 odd million baht he paid for his condo to no avail.  His life has been on hold all that time and I doubt he will ever accept that he either has to take a loss or just go on living there for the rest of his life.

And that is the sad fact. Once an expat has bought a condo the only real possibility of selling is to another expat.

Many are starting to become aware how not so easy it is to consider Thailand as a retirement location. It is not the cheap live in the sunshine place it used to be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not for a person aged 60+.

The chances of them living long enough to enjoy the expense of a purchase is ZERO.

No hassle in renting, 10 minutes browsing Booking.com and Traveloka will do the job.

I'm over 60 and my thinking is just the opposite--thank goodness.  Time, and how I spend my life, is suddenly very precious.  Now, more than ever, is the time I want to enjoy life and live in a place my partner and I own and can make uniquely ours.  Now, more than ever, I want to be surrounded by things that have meaning, things that we have collected in our travels, our art work, our antiques we have bought or inherited, etc.  Our own place, our own taste.  

I want us to have a custom kitchen we designed, with a big fridge with ice maker.   I want us to watch tv on a big 55 incher with sound bar, while relaxing on a comfortable sofa we picked out.  I want us to sleep on an expensive mattress that we selected for our comfort.  I want us to have a big, custom bathroom with double sinks.  And, lots more.  Now, more than ever, I really  don't want us to live in someone else's space with their crappy rental furniture.  No thanks.

My father lived to almost 95 and my mother is still alive at 99.  People are living longer and more vital lives.  Why should hitting 60 put a brake on things? My partner and I bought are most recent Pattaya condo in December.  I never gave a single thought to your expense vs. number of years of enjoyment  argument; the condo purchase and the process of making it ours has already been well worth it to me.   Why would you say no to buying something just because you are over 60?  Not the way I'm living my life.  And, it's not always about the money.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

And that is the sad fact. Once an expat has bought a condo the only real possibility of selling is to another expat.

Many are starting to become aware how not so easy it is to consider Thailand as a retirement location. It is not the cheap live in the sunshine place it used to be.

Not true regarding only being able to sell to expats.  I've sold 3 condos to Thais--which also puts into question the belief that Thais will not buy used condos.

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Why would you say no to buying something just because you are over 60?

If you don't live there year round, the precious contents will be gone in 60 seconds, and all sorts of creatures will be eating the interior.

But if you have money to burn, and you're prepared to chance screaming ladyboys living in the next unit, a late night Karaoke joint next door or an engineering works opening across the road, then it won't be a problem (no zoning laws in Thailand).

Edited by BritManToo

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If you don't live there year round, the precious contents will be gone in 60 seconds, and all sorts of creatures will be eating the interior.

But if you have money to burn, and you're prepared to chance screaming ladyboys living in the next unit, a late night Karaoke joint next door or an engineering works opening across the road, then it won't be a problem (no zoning laws in Thailand).

We do live here year-round, but my thinking would be the same even if we didn't.  We've lived in a number of different condos, never had screaming  ladyboys next door--or screaming anybody, for that matter--and never had anything stolen. Ever.  Security is probably better here than anywhere we've lived in the US--certainly don't give a thought to a break-in when we go traveling.  We have lots of friends who leave for months at a time and return to find their condos and contents intact.  Would an occasional ant or gecko qualify as a 'creature'?  Karaoke?  Engineering works????  Mostly just other nice condo projects here on the beach.

Not as bad as all that really being as a high floor condo is really a "locked box" to Quote Mr.Gore. Not much gets in or out and I have not heard of any thefts, more likely to be burgled in a house.

I was given many silly reasons not to buy a condo, including "we will see a civil war and the reds will confiscate it" Nobody ever said the country would put uplimits to visa exempt entries. Who knows if Thailand will continue to welcome the long-term stayer in the future? Rule number one for investments here don't buy anythijg you can't afford to lose.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 1