Biggest international rescue operation ever assembled in Thailand

webfact

By Thai PBS

international-rescue-operation.jpg

The ongoing rescue operation at Tham Luang cave has become the biggest rescue operation of its kind ever launched in Thailand with the participation of divers and other rescuers from several countries.

And the challenges facing them are a tough nut to crack as they have to race against time with the fate of the 13 boys and their coach hanging in the balance.

Two Australian divers said they spent three hours to get to Chamber 2 and had to get out because they needed new oxygen cylinders. Two Japanese irrigation experts sent by Jica who have surveyed water draining operation have recommended the use of water jet to drain out the mud first which, they said, will help speed up the draining of water out of the cave.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/biggest-international-rescue-operation-ever-assembled-thailand/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-07-02

1 minute ago, Cereal said:

A guy I know said he heard the chief of police was there recently demanding to see the permits of the rescuers for their rights to be there working. Can anyone else confirm or categorically deny this.

It sounds insane and ridiculous, but being as it's Thailand, not out of the question.

The report was that he wanted to see the permits for any drones being used in the rescue and that if they were used without the proper permits the owners could find themselves in trouble.

Officials refilling 415 oxygen tanks for rescue divers

By The Nation

062eabb994ea42c725567df92a74e391-sld.jpe

Officials have been refilling 415 oxygen tanks since late Sunday night to move them into Chamber 3 of the Tham Luang cave for Navy SEAL divers to use.

The Thai Navy SEAL Facebook page reported that officials started refilling the supplement tanks that have been sent there with help from the public. Together with the current tanks, the officials will refill 415 tanks and the process would take 12 hours.

The refilled tanks will be moved to Chamber 3 for the divers to use in their attempt to reach the T-junction and the so-called Pattaya Beach where the 12 young footballers and their assistant coach are believed to be stranded.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30349090

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-02

And in 9+ days no site visit or comment whatever from the national police chief nor the minister responsible for police.

Edited by scorecard
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

There were reports of some high ranking idiot interfering with drone operators while they were surveying, asking did they have the correct licences.

Q; what is the difference between a high ranking idiot and a low ranking one?

A; one had more cash at hand

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

can anyone with applicable expertise weigh in on the idea of pumping air into the cave water as a way of displacing it?  

if u pump air into a top sealed vessel filled with water the water level goes down

was a grade school science teacher demonstration yet confusing and baffling to some on this forum

Edited by atyclb

"can anyone with applicable expertise weigh in on the idea of pumping air into the cave water as a way of displacing it"? One kind of an answer. There is an, among divers well-known technique, where you use a tube and blow low compressed air at the end of it. Both water and mud (and air) will go into the tube. To you who, about the picture of diving tanks and related text, suggest that it should be air, not oxygen, you are probably right, but it would not be wrong to use oxygen in this case as it is safe to use down to a deep of 10 meters and it will make the tank to be able to use 5 times longer before it is emptied.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

scuba tanks are filled with air never oxygen, my worry would be that the air they are pumping into them could be contaminated with all the exhaust fumes and those smoking around the area. The compressor usually draws the air from an area where there is no chance of contaminants, many years ago at Mt Gambier a shop that filled scuba tanks for the freshwater caves(200') in the area was sued after a group of divers (with wealthy parents) got the narcs  while diving, many argued it was caused by the lack of experience of the divers and the dive master as they went off the main shot line then panicked especially as many of us had been using the shops air refills for a few years. Seeing all the traffic around where these tanks are being filled doesnt really fill me with confidence the air being taken is would be all that clean. 

Edited by seajae
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Every marine in the word have closed oxygen diving equipment and usual diving tanks that are filled with nitrogen, for instance, 60/40 are in common use among sport divers as well. 

• Like 1

With so many disasters happening in Thailand, a trained, fully equipped and dedicated disaster force should be formed like the Disaster Relief Agency Civil Force in Japan or the SCDF civil force in Singapore. Hope the next elected government consider this. 

• Confused 1

I wonder if there was a need for my comments.

I decided to post anyway.

Upon seeing the huge logistics required, alone to fill 415 tanks of oxygen, I ask myself the question: How the heck did the group enter into a cave of this deep.

They didn't have 415 tanks, but they went in with what? With nothing?

Then the next question: By whom were they led? Some freaking unqualified jacka..s?

The whole system ist so loopholed, I repeat my earlier fears. There isn't a person with competency. I see a disaster unfolding.

Reminds me of a project I did in Ayudhya area, where second hand trasnport damaged machinery ( again the fault of incompetent people ) was imported at a 10 times inflated price, financed by a loan. Nobody was competent, the project Director was the lover of the owner, he had no skills but his butt. The subcontractors they chose inflated the price the usual 10 x, when I brought in a knowledgable Thai who offered the same work for 10 percent of their submitted price, he was silenced.

The last straw was when the owner ordered a 500 KV transformer to be installed right in the middle of the factory.

Chaos everywhere, this was the conditions to work with.

There is no relevance between the two cases. Somehow, with smiles, they achieve their targets. The Billions enter the country in form of Tourists rip offs who are magnetized by fake smiles.

I just pray the lost guys can be found soon, since all the Navy Seals and foreign personel is on the scene - the only chance to get them out.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Parsve said:

Every marine in the word have closed oxygen diving equipment and usual diving tanks that are filled with nitrogen, for instance, 60/40 are in common use among sport divers as well. 

Little benefit in using a 60/40 mix for such shallow diving as necessary in this cave system (60/40 mixes are used to shorten decompression times after long/deep dives).

I agree closed circuit O2 rebreathers would give the divers at least 3-4 times as long underwater, but they're often more difficult to use in tight squeezes than regular air tanks.

• Like 2