Is TM30 essential?

Good day,

I am wondering if it is essential that a TM 30 must be presented if the "alien" is the spouse of the house holder/owner?

If so how does the house owner have to take it to immigration personally or is it possible to hand it in to the nearest police station?

Thank you.

If wanted by immigration it does not matter who the homeowner is.

Most offices will allow the resident to submit the TM30 report. Doing it a police station will not satisfy immigrations requirement if they want one.

After returning me and Mrs  went into my local immigration office (Prachuap)  they looked at us as if we were completely mad

Guess its not required here then!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, poohy said:

After returning me and Mrs  went into my local immigration office (Prachuap)  they looked at us as if we were completely mad

Guess its not required here then!

On the other hand some are fined 2000 baht for not reporting within 24 hours of entering the kingdom, and that requirement is stamped as a warning on their 90 reports, depends on the office where you live, not a new law.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Thanks 2

I guess that whether a TM30 is essential or not depends on your interaction with the immigration office. I have never visited an immigration office in almost 15 years, so never bothered about the TM30 (always had a multiple entry non-O visa). Might run into problems in a couple of years when I want to renew my driving license though....

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

On the other hand some are fined 2000 baht for not reporting within 24 hours of entering the kingdom, and that requirement is stamped as a warning on their 90 reports, depends on the office where you live, not a new law.

Exactly but i now know for certain its not required where i live, i had ignored doing it on previous visits but Mrs hates giving money away especially to lowlife (her opinion of the immigration/ government)hence we made sure

19 hours ago, whatsupdoc said:

I guess that whether a TM30 is essential or not depends on your interaction with the immigration office. I have never visited an immigration office in almost 15 years, so never bothered about the TM30 (always had a multiple entry non-O visa). Might run into problems in a couple of years when I want to renew my driving license though....

It only is a requirement if you leave and reenter Thailand so have you been out the country in 15 years?

3 minutes ago, 1337markus said:

It only is a requirement if you leave and reenter Thailand so have you been out the country in 15 years?

No-one at the airport (or any land border I visited) cares about a TM30.

I leave the country at least every 90 days (and actually much more frequently). Nobody ever asked for a TM30.

• Like 1

It's another one of those things where it's up to the individual office. When specifically asked, my IO said it's required when you arrive in Thailand for the first time. Subsequent departures and arrivals do not require one if you are returning to the same address. Only if you move, do you need to file again. If you go on a trip within Thailand, it is up to the hotel or place you stay to notify immigration, not you.

Again, this could vary depending on the office and the officer's mood. Best advice is to ask at your immigration office.

Edited by curtklay
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, poohy said:

Exactly but i now know for certain its not required where i live, i had ignored doing it on previous visits but Mrs hates giving money away especially to lowlife (her opinion of the immigration/ government)hence we made sure

Pretty good logic. Go and make sure at the epicentre.

Yeah Tm 30 not essential to life.  Btw.did you get any evidence from them.  It could be the next time you go in that have changed their mind. 

Each Immigration Office seems to have slightly different rules! At Jomptien if you have a Retirement Visa and a re-entry Visa and return to Thailand to live at the same house or condo you don't have to fill in a new TM30. When entering the country you are in effect reporting your address to Immigration and starting your 90 day TM7.

Chiang Mai is strict on TM30, and I paid THB 1,600 fine end of 2016. After returning from abroad shortly after, I went to the TM30-office of CNX Immigration at Promenada on 1st floor to do a new TM30, but also mentioned that I find it somewhat unfair to re-introduce a law from 1979 without foreigners being informed in any way. The lady then asked how many times a year I would travel abroad, my answer was 4, and I pointed out that I find it stupid to report to immigration each time that I am returning to my own and only house. The answer was: "forget about TM30 during the year; just do it the last time you return from abroad before you renew your extension of stay based on retirement". But I took them by their words and go there after each return, and they are getting increasingly upset when they see that my renewal date is still far away. TiT.....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, vsigrist said:

Chiang Mai is strict on TM30, and I paid THB 1,600 fine end of 2016. After returning from abroad shortly after, I went to the TM30-office of CNX Immigration at Promenada on 1st floor to do a new TM30, but also mentioned that I find it somewhat unfair to re-introduce a law from 1979 without foreigners being informed in any way. The lady then asked how many times a year I would travel abroad, my answer was 4, and I pointed out that I find it stupid to report to immigration each time that I am returning to my own and only house. The answer was: "forget about TM30 during the year; just do it the last time you return from abroad before you renew your extension of stay based on retirement". But I took them by their words and go there after each return, and they are getting increasingly upset when they see that my renewal date is still far away. TiT.....

Thanks for all the replies.

It seems to me that, as previously mentioned, each office has it's own rules and thoughts. I understand that it is for the house owner to submit the form so why are people, the visitor/guest/alien or whatever, going to the offices to fill in/submit the TM30?

If the house owner does not submit the form is there any comeback on the visitor/guest?

1 hour ago, stud858 said:

Pretty good logic. Go and make sure at the epicentre.

Yeah Tm 30 not essential to life.  Btw.did you get any evidence from them.  It could be the next time you go in that have changed their mind. 

We asked but nothing  in writing Mrs pushed it... so they did an on the spot 90 day report against new entry card, (no paperwork provided)

retirement visa expires in a month anyway so no issue

i was in office less than a minute from start to finish

6 minutes ago, poohy said:

We asked but nothing  in writing Mrs pushed it... so they did an on the spot 90 day report against new entry card, (no paperwork provided)

retirement visa expires in a month anyway so no issue

i was in office less than a minute from start to finish

I guess next best thing have your protection proving recording app on your phone working.  there are right ways and dangerous ways to do this.  Be careful. 

For example you could record yourself standing in the middle of immigration recording yourself speak stating just what happened with a witness speaking aswell.  Leave the 007 spy stuff to the pros.

Edited by stud858
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Alphim said:

Thanks for all the replies.

It seems to me that, as previously mentioned, each office has it's own rules and thoughts. I understand that it is for the house owner to submit the form so why are people, the visitor/guest/alien or whatever, going to the offices to fill in/submit the TM30?

If the house owner does not submit the form is there any comeback on the visitor/guest?

Yes. You will have to pay the fine if you want your paperwork processed.

• Like 1

Not only are there different rules or levels of compliance with the immigration act, but different procedures.  For 90 day reports, my branch still requires the form filled in and copies of the used pages in my PP.   Friend in another district has no paperwork to fill.in and no PP page copies required.  They just scan his PP and hand it back.  I.live an hours drive away from.my office so I am glad they don't want me to show face and form after every return.  It would also be inconvenient if we ever had overseas friends or family staying.  It seems the office with lots of visas and work.permits try to streamline things to cut the workload while the quiet offices look for things to justify their staff.

Thy guy who has not been near his office for 15 years must have Thai citizenship.  Otherwise he must be doing annual long stay extensions through an agent.  Even with residency they would be checking up on us face to face, somehow.

Edited by The Deerhunter

1 hour ago, vsigrist said:

I've been informed by my Chiang Mai agent the TM 30 is essential for the extension of stay. Other times, no-one seems to bother.

23 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Not only are there different rules or levels of compliance with the immigration act, but different procedures.  For 90 day reports, my branch still requires the form filled in and copies of the used pages in my PP.   Friend in another district has no paperwork to fill.in and no PP page copies required.  They just scan his PP and hand it back.  I.live an hours drive away from.my office so I am glad they don't want me to show face and form after every return.  It would also be inconvenient if we ever had overseas friends or family staying.  It seems the office with lots of visas and work.permits try to streamline things to cut the workload while the quiet offices look for things to justify their staff.

Thy guy who has not been near his office for 15 years must have Thai citizenship.  Otherwise he must be doing annual long stay extensions through an agent.  Even with residency they would be checking up on us face to face, somehow.

Multiple entry non-O visa; no need to ever visit the immigration office, no extensions, just leave the country every 90 days.

Only problem will be when I need a Residence certificate to renew my driving license (used to have a work permit so in the past no need for that certificate either). I'll see when the time comes......

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I've been informed by my Chiang Mai agent the TM 30 is essential for the extension of stay. Other times, no-one seems to bother.

More like 'any interaction'... Need a driving license proof of address ?? Better have one done.. Need a vehicle purchase proof of address ?? Better have one done.. Need an extension of stay ?? Better have one done.. Need a re-entry permit ?? Better have one done.. 

Basically any interaction with Chiang mai immigration incountry.. You need a TM30 report done and current.. If you dont interact with them, then of course your not on thier radar. Personally I went back to annual multiple entry visas as I travel a lot lately and find the idea of reporting my whereabouts this way too intrusive. Their rules, up to me. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, whatsupdoc said:

Multiple entry non-O visa; no need to ever visit the immigration office, no extensions, just leave the country every 90 days.

Only problem will be when I need a Residence certificate to renew my driving license (used to have a work permit so in the past no need for that certificate either). I'll see when the time comes......

Same Position as Myself,I'll Worry about it in March 2020 When I have to Re-New my Thai DL.....

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, davjensteph said:

I returned from uk in may,went to immigration to change stamps into new passport,asked where to go to advise of my return,the lady said you stay here long time no need to do????

I Was Told Similar last time I Returned from the U.K Also.....

It seems a confusing issue at the moment and everyone seems to have different experiences depending on the province. I am on a METV and was in Chonburi and they definitely ask for a report to Jomtien. I have moved to Trat province and am wondering if a TM 30 is needed. If people named what province they are in we could work out which offices want and which ones don't care.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, davjensteph said:

I returned from uk in may,went to immigration to change stamps into new passport,asked where to go to advise of my return,the lady said you stay here long time no need to do????

What immigration office was that?

14 hours ago, Chrisdoc said:

It seems a confusing issue at the moment and everyone seems to have different experiences depending on the province. I am on a METV and was in Chonburi and they definitely ask for a report to Jomtien. I have moved to Trat province and am wondering if a TM 30 is needed. If people named what province they are in we could work out which offices want and which ones don't care.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Mmmmmmmmm  dont care seems to be the Immigration culture unless they can scam money out of you, regarding a fine. At CNX I have friends who have sent Thai women to pay the fine; neighbor paid 800 baht, another one paid 2200 baht, my partner paid 1600 baht and didnt speak to me for 3 days after ( LOL their laws, she loses face). What I find hard to understand, each year they give me a 1 year extension of stay; so there is a trust in that. Then they break that trust with dumb 90 day reporting and this TM 30 each time I go out of country. Cynically, its about giving low stress jobs to mates and getting tea money for these latter two waste of time. Yesterday I spent 3 hours waiting to do my TM 30 check in; watched as young men dressed as monks pushed in numerous times; then the agents do the same with 10 Chinese passports; and I thought the owner of the passport had to be present?

• Like 1