Trump administration rolls back racial diversity guidelines for U.S. colleges

webfact

Trump administration rolls back racial diversity guidelines for U.S. colleges

2018-07-03T123314Z_1_LYNXMPEE6210O_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump waves as he walks on the South Lawn of the White House upon his return from Mount Pleasant, Wisconsin, to Washington, U.S., June 28, 2018. REUTERS/Yuri Gripas

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration on Tuesday rescinded an extensive set of guidelines put in place under President Barack Obama that had called on colleges and universities to consider race as a way of promoting diversity.

U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions said the 24 documents https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/attorney-general-jeff-sessions-rescinds-24-guidance-documents many of which gave advice to schools on how to deal with Supreme Court decisions on race and admissions "were unnecessary, outdated, inconsistent with existing law, or otherwise improper."

It has the effect of bringing the federal government's position on affirmative action close to that of the George W. Bush administration which held that race could be considered only if a university had no other way of achieving a diverse student class.

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled over a series of cases that universities may use affirmative action to help minority applicants get into college. Conservatives have argued such programs can hurt whites and Asian-Americans.

The rules under Obama, a Democrat, were issued by the Department of Justice and the Department of Education. They tell universities and colleges that it is acceptable to use race as a tool to achieve diversity. For example, one of the guidances, "Question and Answers About Fisher v. University of Texas at Austin," poses the question "Did the Supreme Court change what colleges and universities must do to narrowly tailor their admissions programs to meet the compelling interest in diversity?" It answers, "No."

The Republican Trump administration's move is being viewed by Democrats and liberals as a way to weaken affirmative action.

"The Administration’s rollback of vital affirmative action guidance offends our nation’s values and promise of opportunity for all," said Nancy Pelosi, the U.S. House of Representatives' Democratic leader.

The Justice Department under President Donald Trump has been investigating a complaint by more than 60 Asian-American organizations that say Harvard University's policies are discriminatory because they limit the acceptance of Asian-Americans.

The department joined Students for Fair Admissions, the group behind the case, which has urged the disclosure of "powerful" evidence showing that Cambridge, Massachusetts-based Harvard is violating Title VI of the landmark 1964 Civil Rights Act. Title VI prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, colour, and national origin in programs and activities receiving federal financial assistance.

Harvard says its admissions policies comply with U.S. laws and that it has worked to boost financial aid to ensure economic, as well as racial, diversity in its classes.

(Reporting by Doina Chiacu and Damon Darlin; editing by Alistair Bell and Grant McCool)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-07-04
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

It will hurt people who have trouble meeting the academic requirements. That's not racism. Your post is racist though.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Affirmative action breeds racism and is actually racist in itself. Although I'm very left wing I actually agree with Trump/Sessions on this one issue. Trump's base uses affirmative action as an excuse for their own shortcomings, be it academically or other. With this new policy applied they can now only blame it on their own lack of intellect that they couldn't make it into a good university program.

And without them Mexicans, who can they blame for taking their jobs, after Trump is done with his immigration reforms? Blame the liberals? The intellectual? Ah wait, can still blame the Muslims, for now...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

I don't think anyone's going to love it except Asian Americans. It will hurt White Americans more than either Blacks or Hispanics. It is the right thing to do though. Maybe not this action, but something similar that unshackles minorities from their "inferior status" in need of special dispensations.

Actually, I use to know an African-American guy who worked for the DoD.  He would be incensed at the suggestion that he got to where he was due to Affirmative Action.  While AA may have got him in the door, he had to perform just like everyone else to rise through the ranks.  But you're right, there's always going to be that stigma. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Very fair on those who get excluded for people with lesser abilities due to being from a certain race or ethnicity eh?

It's an attempt to socially engineer society based on race and ethnic lines rather than wealth. 

I understand it perfectly well. Comprehending the policy isn't the issue. The issue is that with policies like this someone wins whilst someone else is discriminated against.

The correct policy would be to ensure free and affordable education is available to all, based on ability and attitude rather than someone's notion of how to engineer society and advantage some at the disadvantage of others.

Some call it social engineering, some call it promoting diversity.  Whatever.  So you believe that traditional methods of measurement, i.e., GPA, SAT scores, etc. are flawless predictors of success?  Merit-based, correct?  Perhaps Harvard, Yale, and the like have found better predictors, with race as but one small component.  Again, whatever. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Actually, I use to know an African-American guy who worked for the DoD.  He would be incensed at the suggestion that he got to where he was due to Affirmative Action.  While AA may have got him in the door, he had to perform just like everyone else to rise through the ranks.  But you're right, there's always going to be that stigma. 

To every complex problem there is a simple solution that is wrong.

And no one is more simple except of courseTrum's base . 

American society is complex with a large set of subcultures not all of which have access to the same opportunity for  developing potential. 

For some the door is close by, for others very far. Your friend got a litle help getting closer to the door.

"Conservatives" such as Trump want to conserve the status quo while complaining of it's problems, while Progressives (i dont like the term liberal) want o move forward with pragmatic solutions.  Are there unforeseen consequences?Sure there are , and the individuals affected by them are understandably  not happy. But collectively we are all better off for it.

• Thanks 1

Offering benefit to certain minority ethnic groups at the expense of others is 'positive discrimination'. Despite it's good intentions, it is still a form of discrimination and should never be encouraged.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, foxboy said:

Offering benefit to certain minority ethnic groups at the expense of others is 'positive discrimination'. Despite it's good intentions, it is still a form of discrimination and should never be encouraged.

On a sinking ship  when they say "women and children first" at the lifeboats . will you complain discrimination? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

On a sinking ship  when they say "women and children first" at the lifeboats . will you complain discrimination? 

yes if they are selecting them on the basis of ethnicity. Next...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foxboy said:

yes if they are selecting them on the basis of ethnicity. Next...

Your response is desengeneouse You know exactly what I mean . or you should. Next!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Your response is desengeneouse You know exactly what I mean . or you should. Next!

I assume you mean 'disingenuous'...

I do know exactly what you mean, but it is an irrelevant analogy. This topic is about giving unfair advantages on the basis of race, not sparing the lives of women and children in a life or death situation ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, foxboy said:

I assume you mean 'disingenuous'...

I do know exactly what you mean, but it is an irrelevant analogy. This topic is about giving unfair advantages on the basis of race, not sparing the lives of women and children in a life or death situation ?

yes I did mean Disingenuous,

Helping those less powerful (be it ethic, or any other social group) is not discrimination . It is a helping hand up. Though some suffer because of Affirmative action , collectively the whole country Benefits.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

yes I did mean Disingenuous,

Helping those less powerful (be it ethic, or any other social group) is not discrimination . It is a helping hand up. Though some suffer because of Affirmative action , collectively the whole country Benefits.

"Helping those less powerful (be it ethic, or any other social group)" IS DISCRIMINATION if it is at the expense of others who are denied the benefit, whilst being equally if not more qualified to receive it. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, foxboy said:

"Helping those less powerful (be it ethic, or any other social group)" IS DISCRIMINATION if it is at the expense of others who are denied the benefit, whilst being equally if not more qualified to receive it. 

Discrimination is not always bad.

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Opl said:
1 hour ago, atyclb said:

did ben carson need affirmative action?

Carson is an alibi nomination for Trump who is the result of a whitelash

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-elections/whitelash-what-is-it-white-vote-president-donald-trump-wins-us-election-2016-a7407116.html

i read the url story. my question was did ben carson need affirmative action, since the topic we are discussing is about that.

what exactly is an alibi nomination?