White south african expats

Anyone have any insights on this bunch....I have yet to come across one who I didn't dislike in about 3 minutes.

I find them all totally racist and obnoxious....is it because they feel they have been given a raw deal

in a predominantly black african population?

I talked to some brit expats who share my feelings too.

Mods, close this topic if you think its trolling but I am dead earnest about it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest i came across a young white south African and he was far more pleasant and less racist then what I see here on the forum. This was 7 years back or so.  He worked as an English teacher and now is back in his home country.

So maybe I was lucky meeting one that was good I don't know how big your sample size is.. mine is small just 1.

10 hours ago, giddyup said:

From where? Not South Africa, Zimbabwe yes.

Yeah you are probably right there,  I have met S. African people who had left and came to live and work in England, I had good conversations with them in my line of work but they wouldn't or want to talk about what happened to them, I found them to be pleasant people but understandably quiet for want of better words.

I thought it was South Africa where my Secretary came from who was Indian but born in Uganda, she was kicked out by Idi Amin, put on a plane with husband and daughter in just the clothes they stood up in and taken to the airport by troops. 

We had a white south African guy in our company for a couple of years. I liked him, many people liked him, he was a sociable guy.

About them all being racist: I don't know. But I know it's easier to pretend we are all equal if we don't see too many of the others (black Africans or whatever the "others" are).

I.e. I see a lot of black Africans at night in lower Sukhumvit. Many of them seem to be drug dealers. Some of them "talk" to me from time to time like "do you want something, man?" No, I don't want drugs. And if 10 of 10 guys who want to sell drugs to me are black Africans then it's difficult not to become a little racist.

Its a big country, the people vary, I think we tend to notice the brash people more as they are louder, for sure they are not all racist and obnoxious, but to be fair honest, I think I have only ever met one Boer who was not utterly horrid, but plenty of English speaking South Africans I have met have been fine.

On 7/4/2018 at 5:14 PM, JHolmesJr said:

I have yet to come across one who I didn't dislike in about 3 minutes.

I find them all totally racist and obnoxious

You're pretty quick to dismiss and spew hatred towards a huge ethnic group.

Perhaps quite a lot of them are decent folks ... but guess who's the real racist here?

4 hours ago, chippendale said:

You're pretty quick to dismiss and spew hatred towards a huge ethnic group.

Perhaps quite a lot of them are decent folks ... but guess who's the real racist here?

Perhaps...the vaguest word in the dictionary.

My comments are borne out of years of observation and experience. 

Sadly,  in LOS,  the WSA.. is not considered a Native speaker and the MOE makes to WSA ENG teacher take the TOEIC and all that jazz, even when they have studied in a predominantly ENGLISH Spoken environment.   Thus some will be a bit POed..

5 hours ago, Rhys said:

Sadly,  in LOS,  the WSA.. is not considered a Native speaker and the MOE makes to WSA ENG teacher take the TOEIC and all that jazz, even when they have studied in a predominantly ENGLISH Spoken environment.   Thus some will be a bit POed..

If a want to be want to be teacher uses lots of acronyms like that then I am not surprised if nobody wants to hire him.

9 hours ago, Rhys said:

Well I TTB that ATBE the FFSA deserve a FS just like EE.

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And if 10 of 10 guys who want to sell drugs to me are black Africans then it's difficult not to become a little racist.

Which may explain the attitude of white South Africans, but not necessarily their personality or character. 

I have met two (both female) 

And both said quite bitterly it was better 20 years ago

Because now white people can't get a job and blacks have all the power and they're experiencing racism (in reverse) 

4 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

I have met two (both female) 

And both said quite bitterly it was better 20 years ago

Because now white people can't get a job and blacks have all the power and they're experiencing racism (in reverse) 

Are they still living there if so it can't be that bad, as for jobs that problem is world wide in many countries.

10 hours ago, Rhys said:

Nonsense, the largest group of white people in SA are Boers, they speak Afrikaan not English, they go to Afrikaan schools and study at university in Afrikaan, so of course they should be tested, otherwise we will send up with Boer's with broken English being given preference over native speakers.  Less than 10% of SA's stated English as being their first language in the last census.

South Africa, especially Capetown is one of the most dangerous places in the world to live. If it wasn't for the whites still living there the country would be just another African basket case.

32 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Are they still living there if so it can't be that bad, as for jobs that problem is world wide in many countries.

But it is that bad. Car jackings, robberies and home invasions are rife. It is far from a safe place to live.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

But it is that bad. Car jackings, robberies and home invasions are rife. It is far from a safe place to live.

Sounds like another infection from America. ?

1 hour ago, Ks45672 said:

Is this not simply a correction? After all, they were a minority trying to impose all sorts of injustice on the original people of that country...then the politics changed and they found themselves unable to continue doing so. I believe this might be the root cause of bitterness that causes them to act weird. 

3 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Is this not simply a correction? After all, they were a minority trying to impose all sorts of injustice on the original people of that country...then the politics changed and they found themselves unable to continue doing so. I believe this might be the root cause of bitterness that causes them to act weird. 

No one denies the blacks rights to be treated as equals, but the economy would collapse if it wasn't for whites still running the show, it would become another Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe.

Just now, giddyup said:

No one denies the blacks rights to be treated as equals, but the economy would collapse if it wasn't for whites still running the show, it would become another Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe.

Im detecting a bit of a saffer vibe here.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Actually, they left there to come here

and be teachers

They also complained about the fact that all social housing as well as the jobs was now given only to blacks by blacks and how much better things were before the apartheid was ended.... 

28 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Nonsense, the khoisan are the indigenous people of South Africa, the whites were there long before the savages migrated down south and ruined everything.

Archived