White south african expats

12 hours ago, duanebigsby said:

If he was Chiang Rai based I think I know him.

If not there are at least two!

No he was Bangkok based, sad to see him go he liked working out in the gym like me and was a real pleasant fellow. Never heard him moan about the Thais.. only a bit about his Thai school boss. But that seems to be normal. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, robblok said:

No he was Bangkok based, sad to see him go he liked working out in the gym like me and was a real pleasant fellow. Never heard him moan about the Thais.. only a bit about his Thai school boss. But that seems to be normal. 

The chap I knew was very pleasant also.

People like to paint with broad brushes on TVF.

Not only is moaning about school bosses normal, it's more often than not justified.

14 minutes ago, duanebigsby said:

The chap I knew was very pleasant also.

People like to paint with broad brushes on TVF.

Not only is moaning about school bosses normal, it's more often than not justified.

I never said it was not justified, and yes people paint with broad brushes here. I don't look at nationality when choosing people i associate with. I just look if they like similar things as me. I would not mingle too much with South Africans, that love the bar scene but the same goes for any nationality who is like that. I prefer people who like fishing or working out ect. I feel if you got similar hobbies there is much more of a chance you click then when you just got similar nationalities. I met some awful Dutch people (i am Dutch) and when I lived in my country i did not socialize with just anyone only those that shared similar interests why would it be different here.

52 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Do a google search about the president and then tell me you want to quote him again.

In this case he's right. Nigeria is a crime-ridden lawless country. If you doubt it I can find plenty of other sources than the president. Or perhaps you just want to play ostrich.

Just now, giddyup said:

In this case he's right. Nigeria is a crime-ridden lawless country. If you doubt it I can find plenty of other sources than the president.

They have a crime problem, the problem I have with quoting the president is he is trying to tell his brutalised subjects that even if they try to escape him they will not be taken in because of past criminals who happen to share their nationality and the reason he is doing that is because he wants them to stay and work for his brutal regime, in my opinion it is better to leave his biased opinion out of it.

Just now, Kieran00001 said:

They have a crime problem, the problem I have with quoting the president is he is trying to tell his brutalised subjects that even if they try to escape him they will not be taken in because of past criminals who happen to share their nationality and the reason he is doing that is because he wants them to stay and work for his brutal regime, in my opinion it is better to leave his biased opinion out of it.

Like I said, there are plenty of other sources, he is only voicing what is common knowledge. I would say that Nigeria has a crime epidemic rather than "a problem".

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

Like I said, there are plenty of other sources, he is only voicing what is common knowledge. I would say that Nigeria has a crime epidemic rather than "a problem".

Its a big country, there are lots of different things going on  Lagos has a crime epidemic, that is for sure, it accounts for 11% of the population but 36% of the crime, but then you have places like Katsina which accounts for 5.5% of the population but just 0.1% of the crime, they are not having a crime epidemic in Katsina.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

In this case he's right. Nigeria is a crime-ridden lawless country. If you doubt it I can find plenty of other sources than the president. Or perhaps you just want to play ostrich.

Nothing about what I think of Nigeria's crime,  just a distaste for listening to and quoting that brutal maniac, if ISIS say something you agree with do you also quote them, how about Hitler?

15 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Nothing about what I think of Nigeria's crime,  just a distaste for listening to and quoting that brutal maniac, if ISIS say something you agree with do you also quote them, how about Hitler?

Sure. If someone speaks the truth, their character is irrelevant. Truth is truth.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2018 at 1:32 PM, Ks45672 said:

Actually, they left there to come here

and be teachers

They also complained about the fact that all social housing as well as the jobs was now given only to blacks by blacks and how much better things were before the apartheid was ended.... 

I never knew that there was social housing for whites.

Things were generally better under apartheid, (and I do not need a lecture on the evils of it) except for the corrupt and well placed few who are now benefitting by impoverishing the place. Most things functioned and it was a lot safer. Sad but true.

Some SA Coloured friends recently visited New Zealand and could not get over the cleanliness, the safety, reliability of transport and public utilities and the general quality of life.

Regarding English teachers, my experience is that the vast majority are here by choice and do have alternatives. Many SA teachers are here because they do not have any real prospects at home. (For the record I am a Brit who lived there for a number of years, both under apartheid and under Mandela). 

On 7/7/2018 at 2:26 PM, Kieran00001 said:

Its a big country, there are lots of different things going on  Lagos has a crime epidemic, that is for sure, it accounts for 11% of the population but 36% of the crime, but then you have places like Katsina which accounts for 5.5% of the population but just 0.1% of the crime, they are not having a crime epidemic in Katsina.

And how is Katsina for non-Muslim whites, whether expat (if there are any there) or tourist? Advisable? Recommended? Welcoming? Safe to travel to inside the country? Not snide questions I am just curious.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 9:51 AM, rott said:

And how is Katsina for non-Muslim whites, whether expat (if there are any there) or tourist? Advisable? Recommended? Welcoming? Safe to travel to inside the country? Not snide questions I am just curious.

It is among the safest states to visit, but at the moment it is not advisable due to the potential to be caught up in violent protests as the election approaches, and there is also some risk of kidnap by Boko Haram anywhere in the country, so no it is not considered safe for foreigners.

Archived