Bangkok House Buy Thai Style

I have had numerous conversations with Thais in Bangkok and they tell me there are plenty of houses to be had for 1 or 2 Million baht. This will typically be an older house in need of some repair, but then you can factor that into the price. Thus my question would be, what areas can I get these types of houses or what aeas would people recommend. I would assume not too close to the BTS/subway but probaby within motorbike taxi distance? Certainly I would want access to the BTS/subway to get around. My initial thoughts are up some of the sois in Ladprao or further out down Sukhumvit where the BTS extension will run? Also anyone got any tips? PS: I have lived in Thailand a long time so I am quite happy to live in the simpler types of accomodation Thais live in; I mean my needs are quite simple and am not looking that dream home in paradise (whatever paradise is :o ).

My lawyer advises me a cheap and clean way to buy these types of properties is via the banks (assume reposessions that the banks need to dispose of, however legally cleaned up).

for houses below 1 million, but brand new one, you have to go to nonthaburi, thonburi (the west side of the river) or the other provinces around bangkok.

delapidated thai house bought from the bank would usually need yet another million to get it into a usable shape.

MaiChai,

Same thoughts too. How's your progress?

I tried contacting property agents, asking them to look for old thai houses ..... but they always get me relatively new houses that costs more than B7,000,000??!!

I have had numerous conversations with Thais in Bangkok and they tell me there are plenty of houses to be had for 1 or 2 Million baht. This will typically be an older house in need of some repair, but then you can factor that into the price. Thus my question would be, what areas can I get these types of houses or what aeas would people recommend. I would assume not too close to the BTS/subway but probaby within motorbike taxi distance? Certainly I would want access to the BTS/subway to get around. My initial thoughts are up some of the sois in Ladprao or further out down Sukhumvit where the BTS extension will run? Also anyone got any tips? PS: I have lived in Thailand a long time so I am quite happy to live in the simpler types of accomodation Thais live in; I mean my needs are quite simple and am not looking that dream home in paradise (whatever paradise is :o ).

My lawyer advises me a cheap and clean way to buy these types of properties is via the banks (assume reposessions that the banks need to dispose of, however legally cleaned up).

You can go to a main branch of any of the major Thai banks and ask them. They all have lists.

try these websites also:

http://www.thailisting.com/main/default.aspx?l=en

http://www.kasikornbank.com/PropertyForSal...1,2098,,00.html and click the link for English.

Make sure you get a good lawyer to help you! Plenty of practices with Ex-pat lawyers in them.