May wins support from divided UK government on Brexit plan

rooster59

6 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Unfortunately I don't think the moral high-ground will butter many parsnips. ?

It could allow the government to progress Brexit without listening to Rees Mogg et al sniping at every corner. As for the cabinet, I hope May made it crystal that their jobs are forfeit if they step out of line.

• Like 2

I suspect the ‘hardline Brexiteers’ in the Cabinet are right now trying to gauge public opinion on this news that they’ve signed up to a ‘soft Brexit’ negotiating position.

Scanning a few pro-Brexit Facebook groups and reader comments in pro-Brexit newspapers reveals angry and threatening responses but these of course are from a tiny, If vociferous, minority.

How the bulk of pro-Brexit voters are responding is a little harder to gauge.

One thing seems clear, the PM and the Tories are the target of the anger being expressed, if that is a reflection of broader sentiments it would suggest another ‘snap’ election would be a very risky move. (Unless of course the Tories wish to rid themselves of this poison challis they made for themselves).

Also of interest, what will Farage’s response be. Brexiteers are howling for his return but does he want any part of this mess he helped create.

If the ‘hardline Brexiteers’ in the cabinet sense there is enough public outrage to challenge the PM they’ll break ranks.

If they do not, Brexit will get softer.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I only read one article on the proposals, and am as confused as ever!

As far as I could make out:-

1) Agreeing to comply with eu regulations re. food and services

2) Accepting the ECJ on issues regarding the above

3) Closing the 'open borders' so that only those with a guaranteed job are able to enter the uk

4) No payment to the eu

5) Able to trade freely with other countries

????

Hopefully posters will point out where I'm wrong in my understanding.

?

9 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Let,s just get out and be shot of these parasites ? Bring back real pork sausages and we can be British again !!

Royal Britannia Britannia rule the waves bla bla bla bla

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I suspect the ‘hardline Brexiteers’ in the Cabinet are right now trying to gauge public opinion on this news that they’ve signed up to a ‘soft Brexit’ negotiating position.

Scanning a few pro-Brexit Facebook groups and reader comments in pro-Brexit newspapers reveals angry and threatening responses but these of course are from a tiny, If vociferous, minority.

One thing seems clear, the PM and the Tories are the target of the anger being expressed, if that is a reflection of broader sentiments it would suggest another ‘snap’ election would be a very risky move. (Unless of course the Tories wish to rid themselves of this poison challis they made for themselves).

Also of interest, what will Farage’s response be. Brexiteers are howling for his return but does he want any part of this mess he helped create.

If the ‘hardline Brexiteers’ in the cabinet sense there is enough public outrage to challenge the PM they’ll break ranks.

Shame they didn't break their necks instead

17 hours ago, Grouse said:

Probably the least bad compromise. IF something like this is accepted by the EU, Corbyn will not get in, the Good Friday agreement will be unharmed, UK manufacturing supply chains will be unharmed and we avoid American food imports. In fact all we lose are our rebates and opt outs to keep Brexiters happy.

I do not think this will keep the hard line brexiters happy... sure two faced BJ will be undermining TM and the agreed proposal within days...

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Basil B said:

I do not think this will keep the hard line brexiters happy... sure two faced BJ will be undermining TM and the agreed proposal within days...

Probably not - but they obviously don't think they have the support in Parliament to  force a hard brexit through.

I suspect we'll see more and more concessions until we have Brexit in name only. 

Most of the Brexiters in the general public won't notice as it will be done gradually, like boiling a frog. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Basil B said:

....and then sacked with any luck

....and then sacked with any luck

TM knows she's on a very weak tightrope, although these foundation plans are highly unpopular they are a 'basic' starting point to take to Brussels.

Next it's down to the EU to peruse over what's submitted, then it's either snubbed or received with mild but tolerated acceptance.....

Summer 2019 she'll walk or get pushed, during his A50 is not the time.

NB: The EU are very nervous about getting Corbyn if they push her & HMG too far, so they don't have the luxury they making many perceive.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

• Confused 1

As I have little idea as the 'plan' agreed by the cabinet, perhaps it would be easier to ask the question - what do leavers and remainers disagree with - on the little information we have regarding the 'agreement' put forward by may and the cabinet?

Edited by dick dasterdly

21 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Footies on the flag wavers attention is elsewhere for the duration.

29 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

As far as I am aware the UK will be leaving the EU on March 19 2019. That's why TM signed article 50. Too bad if the leaving criteria isn't to some people's liking.

Has anything changed?

We are sort of but not really as a leading Brexiteer lawyer has commented - These proposals therefore lead directly to a worst-of-all-worlds “Black Hole” Brexit where the UK is stuck permanently as a vassal state in the EU’s legal and regulatory tarpit, still has to obey EU laws and ECJ rulings across vast areas, cannot develop an effective international trade policy or adapt our economy to take advantage of the freedom of Brexit, and has lost its vote and treaty vetos rights as an EU Member State

You're missing the point that ANY uk govt. has to answer to the electorate - and of those who voted, the majority voted to leave!

It's clear that the uk govt. is trying to find a way to ignore the referendum result, without their actions destroying them in the next elections (in leave areas obviously).

I’m fully aware for electorate accountability thanks, If May attempts to ignore the result the conservatives are finished for a generation.

What’s being released is simply a basic foundation paper of what Brussels is requesting, which will be discussed at length in the negotiations face to face, then it’s up to Davis & Ollie et al to crunch out the fine details, if it turns sour then walk it could well be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Brexit secretary just resigned. 

Brexit Secretary David Davis resigns http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44761056

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock. 

It's going to be an interesting week or two. Maybe more cabinet brexiteers will follow, hopefully, and maybe followed by a no-confidence vote in TM's premiership. Then the EU rejecting the white paper and maybe parliament will implode.

Can't see a civil war arising, though, as most Brits (including me) have no idea how any Brexit would affect them, apart of course, prices of goods will rise and jobs will be lost - and the pound will sink. 

what a f*******up.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

We are sort of but not really as a leading Brexiteer lawyer has commented - These proposals therefore lead directly to a worst-of-all-worlds “Black Hole” Brexit where the UK is stuck permanently as a vassal state in the EU’s legal and regulatory tarpit, still has to obey EU laws and ECJ rulings across vast areas, cannot develop an effective international trade policy or adapt our economy to take advantage of the freedom of Brexit, and has lost its vote and treaty vetos rights as an EU Member State

But we are leaving to respect the referendum vote. That the consequences quoted by you could be a realistic outcome is too bad if it's not to your liking. In addition,  I genuinely  believe whatever Brexit is enacted it would not benefit the 'people', mainly as it's impossible to unravel c.40 years of EU membership without consequences that are unfavourable for the UK. 

As the government has at long last, realised.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1