May wins support from divided UK government on Brexit plan

rooster59

6 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

As David Davis has now resigned the Brexit debacle continues 24/7 the Tory's look set to implode and Corbyn is the opposition what a time Guy Fawkes .      

Pity it's not Keir Starmer as leader of the opposition. He, at least, talks common-sense politics, and a person I would vote for. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

Pity it's not Keir Starmer as leader of the opposition. He, at least, talks common-sense politics, and a person I would vote for. 

Pity it's not Margaret Thatcher in charge of the Tories, but I'm afraid you'll have to put up with the people the Labour members and the unions voted in.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JackScarlett said:
a person who betrays a friend, country, principle, etc.
"they see me as a traitor, a sellout to the enemy"
synonyms: betrayer, backstabber, double-crosser, renegade, fifth columnist; 

The question in June 2016 called for a 'Yes' or 'No" as to whether the UK left the EU or remained.  A majority of a million plus said 'Yes" leave.

Mrs May promised the electorate that she would honour that vote right up to the Chequers Meeting last week.   It is illusory to believe we will leave the EU under current the current plan i.e. The proposed Common Rule Book.   So yes I do think think she has betrayed the electorate in selling out to the enemy, namely the EU and therefore 'traitor' is entirely appropriate.

Brexiteer hyperbole continues.

Treason is a very serious crime, you need to come up with more than your own opinion.

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Treason is a very serious crime, you need to come up with more than your own opinion.

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Yes my views on the matter plus a large swathe of commentators and the British Public.    But 'Que Sera Sera".   The first casualty of her plan is that POTUS has said that it will 'make a trade deal with the US less likely'.     Well done Donald, tell her how it is!  If the plan goes ahead current reaction in the UK is that the Tories will be punished at the next election and likely out of office for years..     The lady is a disaster as a politician who however would have made a good bureaucrat.    She got the 2017 General election totally wrong because she wouldn't listen to her ministers and as the resignations this last week and of the apparent majority reaction  of the public, she is wrong again.

But hey, I respect your views and in a democracy everyone is allowed to differ.   Have a great day.

Edited by JackScarlett
spelling mistake
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I'm inclined to agree.

May is just doing her best to find a way to the softest brexit possible - without alienating the electorate.....

Let's not forget that she was a remainer, and knows that the vast majority of MPs are remainers.

Whilst I understand the 'treasonous' comment - it's not entirely accurate in this case.

It's deplorable, and time will tell whether the electorate allow her (and the govt.) to get away with this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm inclined to agree.

May is just doing her best to find a way to the softest brexit possible - without alienating the electorate.....

Let's not forget that she was a remainer, and knows that the vast majority of MPs are remainers.

Whilst I understand the 'treasonous' comment - it's not entirely accurate in this case.

It's deplorable, and time will tell whether the electorate allow her (and the govt.) to get away with this.

The PM has many responsibilities, security, defence, the economy (I’m sure I need not list them all).

Brexit is just one among many issues that she has to balance.

The accusation that she is a ‘traitor’ 

is disgraceful, it further polarized the discussion and closes the door on discussing and understanding wider issues that the nation faces.

1 hour ago, citybiker said:

@jackscarlet

&

@dunroaming

Et al.

Interesting and valid points in reference to PMTM and her extremely questionable Brexit paper. The common ground agreement appears to be the CRB, the common rule book element of her plan.

Unfortunately, May is approaching this far too nicely nicely and this CRB is her attempt to propose this in tangible terms, however what May consistently either ignores or forgets is the EU wants to tactically punish the UK without making it bluntly obvious to those who are able to analysis and scrutinise in a balance & non bias format, PMTM is a currently tolerated domestically and Brussels.

When your chief negotiator resigns that should have been a clear warning shot that her plan needs serious amendment, Justine Greening should be sacked forthwith and the political establishment should get a grip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, she should have been sacked when she made David Davis her chief negotiator;

10 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Yes, he should have been PM.

????????+

dodgy davis PM?

by and large I think UK should be happy that dodgy davis (and BJ Johnson) is out of the way

may open the way for something useful

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

????????+

dodgy davis PM?

by and large I think UK should be happy that dodgy davis (and BJ Johnson) is out of the way

may open the way for something useful

One thing I think that I could say is that Davis is not "dodgy". That was Cameron.

13 minutes ago, nauseus said:

One thing I think that I could say is that Davis is not "dodgy". That was Cameron.

What Brexit impact papers? Take our quiz on what David Davis said

David Davis told a committee of MPs on Wednesday that the UK government had produced no economic forecasts on the likely impact of Brexit on various sectors of the economy.

It seemed to stand in marked contrast to many of the things he had said before about analysis being carried out by his Department for Exiting the European Union (DExEU).

See if you can identify where and when Davis has previously talked about the impact studies and analysis being carried out on a sectoral basis.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/07/what-brexit-impact-papers-quiz-on-what-david-davis-said-when

Brexit secretary admits there are no impact papers

https://www.ft.com/content/8ca38822-da75-11e7-a039-c64b1c09b482

Edited by bristolboy
  • Like 1

Davis lives in fantasy land, alongside all the other Brexiteers. May has compromised too much? Any compromise is too much for these idiots. It's either cake and eat it or toys out of the pram.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

What Brexit impact papers? Take our quiz on what David Davis said

David Davis told a committee of MPs on Wednesday that the UK government had produced no economic forecasts on the likely impact of Brexit on various sectors of the economy.

It seemed to stand in marked contrast to many of the things he had said before about analysis being carried out by his Department for Exiting the European Union (DExEU).

See if you can identify where and when Davis has previously talked about the impact studies and analysis being carried out on a sectoral basis.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/07/what-brexit-impact-papers-quiz-on-what-david-davis-said-when

Brexit secretary admits there are no impact papers

https://www.ft.com/content/8ca38822-da75-11e7-a039-c64b1c09b482

You have tried to imply that he made that statement,within the last couple of weeks, when in fact it was made last year. Since that time he has produced  a Brexit paper, which Appeaser May has seen fit to ignore, preferring a plan for a very watered down Brexit, produced  by a non elected, remaining senior civil servant.

In other-words, by someone who is very ingrained in the establishment.

277B234C-45F4-4345-99EB-27B353C00D4E.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nontabury said:

You have tried to imply that he made that statement,within the last couple of weeks, when in fact it was made last year. Since that time he has produced  a Brexit paper, which Appeaser May has seen fit to ignore, preferring a plan for a very watered down Brexit, produced  by a non elected, remaining senior civil servant.

In other-words, by someone who is very ingrained in the establishment.

277B234C-45F4-4345-99EB-27B353C00D4E.jpeg

Nonsense, I implied nothing of the sort. He claimed there were detailed studies and it turns out there weren't. If that isn't "dodgy" , can you please provide me with your definition of the word?

• Like 2

Rather interesting developments, PMTM being forced to accept legal amendments to the chequers Brexit Bill, both levers and remainers up in arms.

IMO expect more resignations & the bill won’t be sent to Brussels in its current form that’s for sure.

The summer holidays couldn’t come quick enough for some people, primarily Mrs May.

3 minutes ago, citybiker said:

Rather interesting developments, PMTM being forced to accept legal amendments to the chequers Brexit Bill, both levers and remainers up in arms.

IMO expect more resignations & the bill won’t be sent to Brussels in its current form that’s for sure.

The summer holidays couldn’t come quick enough for some people, primarily Mrs May.

MP's summer holidays should be deferred until they have sorted out this forking mess.....

• Like 1

MP's summer holidays should be deferred until they have sorted out this forking mess.....
100% concur

Don't get me started on that, if Brexit was 'SO' important to the political establishment then a much reduced break should be implemented.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, citybiker said:

100% concur

Don't get me started on that, if Brexit was 'SO' important to the political establishment then a much reduced break should be implemented.

Instead they are extending it, so the Government won't have to fight itself in the House of Parliament...

Instead they are extending it, so the Government won't have to fight itself in the House of Parliament...

I've not seen evidence of an extension, although I do know the forthcoming party conference is making people very uncomfortable.

And for good reason it should.

https://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-commons-faqs/business-faq-page/recess-dates/