Red-shirt boss in Northeast leaves jail

rooster59

Red-shirt boss in Northeast leaves jail

By The Nation

b0c658f5bd40ed4d3984c2054d3369bc.jpeg

Red-shirt leader Kwanchai Praipana was released from jail on Friday after serving a two-year term for leading physical assaults on rival yellow-shirt protesters in 2008.

Kwanchai, whose real surname is Sarakham, was greeted by a large group of supporters and fellow red-shirt leaders, at his radio station Chomrom Kon Rak Udon in Udon Thani.

Among the red-shirt leaders greeting him were former Pheu Thai Party MPs Nattawut Saikua and Nisit Sinthuprai.

Kwanchai, 64, told his well-wishers that he was released from Udon Thani’s provincial prison shortly after 5am. He said normally convicts are released at about 9am.

He claimed the prison released him hours earlier than normal because it did not want a large gathering of his supporters to welcome him.

Kwanchai, a key red-shirt figure in the northeast, said on Friday that he felt happy to be reunited with his supporters again. He said that he would now have to focus on recovering from the assault-rifle attack on him in January 2014.

“Luckily, I didn’t suffer any serious illness while in jail. I only got some common colds,” he said.

In May 2016, the Supreme Court sentenced Kwanchai in absentia to two years in jail for masterminding the attacks on yellow-shirt protesters rallying against the Samak Sundaravej government at a public park in Udon Thani in July 2008. The administration was backed by the red shirts.

Kwanchai had jumped his bail before the verdict was issued. In July that year, he turned himself in before being sent to in Udon Thani prison.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30349523

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-07

17 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

The cave has kept political satire off TV for a while. At least this should just wet the appetite of the daffo'dils .

Not much to do but joke because the guy is a relative nobody, just one of the type we don't need as someone like that might put oil on the fire. But I doubt he will do so without a green light from higher up. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

He is merely the effect of the cause.

The response to the Yellows.

Response to the Yellows, show me of attacks of yellows on red before 2008. That is when he started attacking them. Its long been known that the red shirts dont allow yellow shirts to protest near their strong holds. Here is a good example. 

Anyway this kind of guy is someone you don't want on the streets, just like you don't want a Suthep on the streets. Thugs that resort to violence have no place here.

6 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

The Yellows were a militant organisation that attempted the overthrow of an elected government using militant tactics. Their occupations of several sites were initiated by armed thugs and involved many violent incidents. I personally saw armed men at the airport in the first hours of the takeover.

If the Yellows had not existed there would have been no red shirt movement. 

This is undeniable. Cause and effect. 

What military takeover was there in 2008 that your talking about ? None as far as I know. Besides violence is never an answer and the reds did attack (as they often have done) a peaceful protest. I remember Trad... 2 kids dead.. also an attack of the reds on a peaceful protest. If they had just protested that would be good.. violence is never good period.

7 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Anyway, I thought you had disdain for all sides equally as you keep trying to tell us?

Your slip is showing here mate.

What I am telling you is that we don't need violent people on the streets, this guy is violent and i prefer him not to start trouble. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

I thought someone would take the bait; but I thought maybe two other daff'odils.

But why has the army kept this campaign up; why are there so many puppets in light of the action of present leaders; then there are the right wing media also falling into line, including our own TV. Sonthi lit the fire back in 2006 with his clandestine 12 million Baht advertising campaign to discredit Thaksin, during the military coup.

Thailand tells its own story. No need to be a captive in time. The military runs the country, until it feels their grip is weakening. Then they usually take over. Thaksin is only a small part of that history dominated by the military.

Chris,

I might not be awake fully but I don't see how your reply has anything to do with my post. All I said the guy is a nobody (i certainly don't think he will be PM that was sarcasm  on my side). I just pointed out you don't want him leading redshirts as it has been proven this is a violent man. I just don't think violence is a good idea now. But on the other hand I don't think he wil do anything without orders from above.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...