Surprise bathroom visitor: identify please

Virtualrecluse

Huntsman Spider.  Quite common, said not to be particularly aggressive or venomous for humans.  But they sure do get big, and are really creepy!   I didn't like them at first, squashed a few but then I looked them up online and just got used to them, and leave them alone.  Apparently, they like to eat cockroaches!  ?

https://www.thethailandlife.com/spiders-thailand

https://spiderid.com/spider/sparassidae/heteropoda/venatoria/

Edited by 55Jay
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, bkkgriz said:

Is it just me, or does that big boy (or girl) seem to be missing a pair of legs? Gotta quit drinking so much so early.

It's a six legged insect-spider. New species. :biggrin:

Serious: it could be that one pair is "rolled in" under the belly?

spider.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cmsally said:

It looks like a Huntsman spider. Not dangerous as far as I know , don't think Thailand has any poisonous spiders. These are usually fairly timid anyway.

It depends on what the Huntsman has been feeding on. Can cause infection if they have been eating carrion.

2 hours ago, Sophon said:

Huntsman spider, not venomous to humans and not aggressive. Thailand doesn't have any dangerous spiders.

Sophon

That is not true, Thailand does have dangerous spiders, such as the brown recluse spider, which can be deadly.

• Thanks 1

Widow spiders...Latrodectus geometricus (brown) and Latrodectus mactans (black)...are both found in Thailand. Though widows have a bad rep, they are almost never lethal and certainly not aggressive. However, these bites can be painful with mild to moderate reactions and even severe in children and/or people with an allergic reaction. 

Yes Huntsman...they do bite.. particularly defensive if have babies nearby. Definitely go to hospital if bitten and particularly if a young child is bitten. Some real nasty cases of bad bacterial infections reported.

Lightening quick...

1 hour ago, realenglish1 said:

This is a huntsman spider Not poisonous but can still give you a nasty bite be careful

There must be a reason why my wife does not tolerate those in the house.

Edited by KhunBENQ

6 hours ago, Sophon said:

Huntsman spider, not venomous to humans and not aggressive. Thailand doesn't have any dangerous spiders.

Sophon

Tell that to the guy in Rayong who died of a spider bite, I think 2 years ago, it's in the Eastern forum somewhere.

17 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

Tell that to the guy in Rayong who died of a spider bite, I think 2 years ago, it's in the Eastern forum somewhere.

Sophon doesn't know what they are talking about, there are a few dangerous spiders in Thailand.  You have to wonder what goes through these peoples heads, why would they state something that they have no idea about?

Spiders

Thailand has plenty of big scary-looking spiders but only a few species will bite a human being. This still means thousands of bites every year. Luckily, deaths from spider bites are very rare - less than 3 per year across the whole world and these are generally a result of allergic reactions. (this number is probably a bit low, as a search of USA Spider Bite Deaths is about 6.5 annually, but still extremely rare)

The most dangerous spiders in Thailand are mainly forest dwellers. Some Tarantula species have a reputation for aggression and the bites are painful and best treated in hospital with anti-venom. Symptoms can include swelling, exhaustion, muscle cramping, difficulty breathing and fever. Sometimes, these occur days after the bite. For your safety, empty out shoes and shake clothes before wearing, especially in rural areas!

Full article: https://wanderwisdom.com/travel-destinations/Thailand-Health--Safety-and-Risks-1-Dangerous-Animals

Fun Fact:

All spiders have fangs! And, yes, they almost all have venom in them. Lucky for us, most spider poison will not harm people because it is quite weak. Most spiders use their venom to paralyze its insect victim long enough to devour it.

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

For your safety, empty out shoes and shake clothes before wearing, especially in rural areas!

It's bloody frogs & toads I find in my shoes all the time! And nearly always the same one for weeks on end till he/she finally gets fed up of being hoisted out of different shoes!

• Haha 2

Huntsman spider bite possible reactions:

The effects vary, including local swelling and pain, nausea, headache, vomiting, irregular pulse rate, and heart palpitations, indicating some systemic neurological toxin effects, especially when the bites were severe or repeated.