Mission chief hits out at errant media

snoop1130

Six granola bars and a few liters of water for the entire team total. they went in for 3 hours not a 3 month trek....

Some how not eating his half of a snack rectifies his fatal error in judgment?

they are alive because of a very difficult intervention and rescue.

without that intervention, they would have slowly staved to death perched on a rock....

2 hours ago, todlad said:

Utter bilge. This is just you glorying in the sound of your own typing. You are missing everything there is to think about here.

You used up too much room insulting me, and forgot to include the things there are to think about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

There have been photos, media releases and actual video of the rescue released.

The media access is managed, but some of the entertainment outlets want to have a scoop.

Do you not understand that space and air is at a premium? Every extra body takes up valuable resources. You are demanding that you have your entertainment at the potential cost of someone's life.

You do understand that these are children don't you? Are you aware that there are privacy laws in place just as there are in the west. Those laws and concerns are stricter when children are involved.  The immediate physical condition and the  appearance of those kids is none of your business. You have neither the legal nor the moral right to demand access. When the time is appropriate, information will be released. this kids are immunosuppressed at are at high risk of long term lung damage and infection from lethal disease. Now is not the time to use them for  entertainment purposes. They must be quarantined until they are physically stronger.

There has been no interference with the right to know. the Thai government is acting responsibly and in the best interests of the  children. The kids come before your imaginary and unfounded  right to know. The procedures in place are best practices. There are media releases, but they are factual, and not written for entertainment purposes.

Hard to respond to multi nested quotes but I will try.

Point 1. Everybody who wants to know who the kids are, what they look like and where the come from already knows. Their faces are all over the world.

Point 2. Having a photographer at the mouth of the cave or even one further in in the large cave at the entrance would have no effect on the oxygen or endanger the kids in any way.

Point 3. This event is an international event of goodwill and showcasing the very best of humanity. Billions of people are emotionally invested in the welfare of these kids. In a world of bad news and negativity the world needs moments like this to remind us that we are not beyond hope as a species. It would be a tremendous gift to the world to show the moment sunlight hit those kids faces. 

Point 4. the government easily could ensure that all of the images released were previewed selected carefully.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

You used up too much room insulting me, and forgot to include the things there are to think about.

You could have made it easier for everyone if you'd left in your original post to make it easier to comment on. You said:

"You can' really blame the reporters, it's a huge story. You just got to make as many barriers as you can if you are determined not to let anyone see anything. But I think if they had allowed a pool reporter (with clear guidelines) to have close access, many of the news outlets would have been less aggressive.

The less the people get to see of these events, the quicker this story will fade from memory. Thailand should have managed the event in a way that people were allowed some involvement through pictures and video. There were obviously some epic scenes that were never captured.

In the end this is Thailand's loss. They had the world's unblinking attention and they said. Don't look, go away."

As with many people, you are looking at this with your foreigner's eyes. Let me guess that you live in Thailand or lived in Thailand because it is different from your home country. If not you, then many or all of the rest of us did and do.

I live here and have done so for a long time and I am fully aware, as you ought to be, of the ways in which different countries support their media. In Thailand, they do some things differently. 

Secondly, it really should be obvious now, as several people here have already pointed out, that this is a story about children. Children and their families. In situations like this emotions run extremely high and no wonder. What the Thai authorities have done, quite rightly in my opinion, is to shield just about everyone from prying eyes. Then there can be no jealousies, no finger pointing, no demands that MY SON MUST BE FIRST. All of that has been managed pretty successfully as far as I can see.

You are right that this is a massive story and in a situation like this journalists have been known to behave badly and even reprehensibly. So what I called your bilge is bilge because you seem to want to feed the frenzy rather than respecting the rights of children and their families.

There, I have given you a lot of my time now even though I really shouldn't have needed to!

13 minutes ago, todlad said:

You could have made it easier for everyone if you'd left in your original post to make it easier to comment on. You said:

"You can' really blame the reporters, it's a huge story. You just got to make as many barriers as you can if you are determined not to let anyone see anything. But I think if they had allowed a pool reporter (with clear guidelines) to have close access, many of the news outlets would have been less aggressive.

The less the people get to see of these events, the quicker this story will fade from memory. Thailand should have managed the event in a way that people were allowed some involvement through pictures and video. There were obviously some epic scenes that were never captured.

In the end this is Thailand's loss. They had the world's unblinking attention and they said. Don't look, go away."

As with many people, you are looking at this with your foreigner's eyes. Let me guess that you live in Thailand or lived in Thailand because it is different from your home country. If not you, then many or all of the rest of us did and do.

I live here and have done so for a long time and I am fully aware, as you ought to be, of the ways in which different countries support their media. In Thailand, they do some things differently. 

Secondly, it really should be obvious now, as several people here have already pointed out, that this is a story about children. Children and their families. In situations like this emotions run extremely high and no wonder. What the Thai authorities have done, quite rightly in my opinion, is to shield just about everyone from prying eyes. Then there can be no jealousies, no finger pointing, no demands that MY SON MUST BE FIRST. All of that has been managed pretty successfully as far as I can see.

You are right that this is a massive story and in a situation like this journalists have been known to behave badly and even reprehensibly. So what I called your bilge is bilge because you seem to want to feed the frenzy rather than respecting the rights of children and their families.

There, I have given you a lot of my time now even though I really shouldn't have needed to!

I just want to witness them stepping into safety. What is the danger in that?  I guarantee we are going to see them in their private lives, I guarantee they are going to be hounded and harassed and asked too many questions. And that is a shame and part of the problem of being an accidental celebrity. But the moment of rescue, that is not an intrusion, that is celebration, that is magic. 

This would be probably the happiest moment of their lives so far.  Isn't that a better image to have of them than the intrusive paparazzi style stalking that is going to come?  Not having the first, will multiply the latter.

• Like 1

I just want to witness them stepping into safety. What is the danger in that?  I guarantee we are going to see them in their private lives, I guarantee they are going to be hounded and harassed and asked too many questions. And that is a shame and part of the problem of being an accidental celebrity. But the moment of rescue, that is not an intrusion, that is celebration, that is magic. 

This would be probably the happiest moment of their lives so far.  Isn't that a better image to have of them than the intrusive paparazzi style stalking that is going to come?  Not having the first, will multiply the latter.

You mean you want to see each boy, in full face view? Why? Can't you respect the need for all children to be brought out, attended to medically and then when they are all free move to the next stage?

You will, however, be proven right about the circus that will follow. More voyeurs.

• Like 2

It is highly unlikely that they 'stepped into safety'. They came out on a stretcher, all wrapped up so they couldn't pass on any virus or disease that they may have contacted in the cave. Also, the authorities are not releasing the names of those already freed until they are all out - quite rightly IMO so that no families are given more priority than others.

Your 'want' is at the bottom of the list of voyeurs & media touts, just getting in the way of a fantastic job being done by the rescuers. I also think that the Chiang Rai governor is doing an excellent job.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Well they got rid of the English guy who reported on the pineapple farm.

But far too many to real, as they would cause a real stink if they sent reporters home.

What is the problem? people not informed; too many people at the site; not sure who is in charge. Maybe it started OK but has turned into a circus? Hope they sought it out

When they rescued the first 4.. Thai Media said all were rescued......as we prayed for their safe return...my wife was over joyed telling me the news.... sigh relief and before going to bed....a newsflash ...The first 4 boys out safely??!!!!

I was so upset at being misled,I questioned my wife next morning....she said all Thai news channels were misreporting.....Fake news is alive everywhere.... like mentioned here.... Civilised,ethical reporting should have been permitted through Government ( a news desk designated area for Media channels) scrutinized.... this is not difficult instead of a circus of amateurs playing around with toys believing it is Showtime...such a high profile operation deserves the utmost amount of respect,to say the least..

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Six granola bars and a few liters of water for the entire team total. they went in for 3 hours not a 3 month trek....

Correct. Nobody can foresee the future, (except the fortune teller monk mentioned before). It was a freak accident due to weather conditions, and now people want to find a scapegoat or someone to blame! What's the matter with people?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, todlad said:

You mean you want to see each boy, in full face view? Why? Can't you respect the need for all children to be brought out, attended to medically and then when they are all free move to the next stage?

You will, however, be proven right about the circus that will follow. More voyeurs.

Don't be daft. everyone would click on a link that said, see the moment the trapped boys emerged from the cave. Don't pretend that it isn't a natural thing to want to see that and experience the joy. This is not voyeurism, it is sharing a human experience of an extraordinary nature.

And if you happen to find yourself in a situation where the entire world is fixated on your every move, you are not having a private moment. You couldn't be more public then in that moment.

I am all for the protection of the kids post exit, but the moment itself is history.

2 hours ago, khunken said:

It is highly unlikely that they 'stepped into safety'. They came out on a stretcher, all wrapped up so they couldn't pass on any virus or disease that they may have contacted in the cave. Also, the authorities are not releasing the names of those already freed until they are all out - quite rightly IMO so that no families are given more priority than others.

Your 'want' is at the bottom of the list of voyeurs & media touts, just getting in the way of a fantastic job being done by the rescuers. I also think that the Chiang Rai governor is doing an excellent job.

My want is to observe history. Nothing they are doing is secret or private or embarrassing. It is uplifting and a rare total win for mankind.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Don't be daft. everyone would click on a link that said, see the moment the trapped boys emerged from the cave. Don't pretend that it isn't a natural thing to want to see that and experience the joy. This is not voyeurism, it is sharing a human experience of an extraordinary nature.

And if you happen to find yourself in a situation where the entire world is fixated on your every move, you are not having a private moment. You couldn't be more public then in that moment.

I am all for the protection of the kids post exit, but the moment itself is history.

Unreal. You have entirely missed the point of what you are being told and of what is happening. What you want might never happen in the way you want for the security of the kids. 

Wait and see what happens next and I really hope that is properly managed.

8 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

I don’t understand why the Thai government has such a problem with the public’s right to know. This story has the world on pins and needles. Maybe establishing a press area closer to the rescue site is the answer.

Simple.  This ghastly near tragedy should not have happened for one of several possible reasons.  That means potential loss of face!!!!!!!!  Thais will do anything to try and avoid public loss of face

A totally predictable response here, unfortunately!!

12 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

You can' really blame the reporters, it's a huge story. You just got to make as many barriers as you can if you are determined not to let anyone see anything. But I think if they had allowed a pool reporter (with clear guidelines) to have close access, many of the news outlets would have been less aggressive.

In the end this is Thailand's loss. They had the world's unblinking attention and they said. Don't look, go away.

Reporters of  this  ilk  are  ghouls. They  would  film  your own death in agony with post  edit  commentary in preference  to  any assistance! 

Pool  Reporter? A can of  worms in  selection.Preferential collusion.

Nominated Official  news releases to the  media must  suffice despite the inevitable  accusations of  media  control blah  blah! 

They  live  in a  "Step Up "  world  of their  own with a  competitive drive that  eliminates  any  present moment humanity.

How can I say  this?  I was once  married  to  one !

21 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Foreign reporter today (unknown if farang or Asian) hauled in by police for flying a drone

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

earlier on, it was the Chinese TV Channel PPTV; and a Thai Channel exposed as the droners

Edited by tifino
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

How about doing something completely unimaginable: asking the 13 if they want their faces plastered on every yellow press rag in the world.

Too late for that, they have become public property now - whether they like it or not ?

Sad but true...................

29 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

What part of ‘Chinese’ do you not understand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what are you banging on about? the thai bashing for their heavy handed ban on the media and drones!  there was very good reason for this . Try going back a few thousand posts and you will know why

I would imagine some of the divers had small waterproof GoPro cameras attached to their masks and some footage of the rescue will emerge at a later date, as it did when the boys were first discovered alive.

• Like 1