15% of Phuket’s advanced bookings cancelled

webfact

19 minutes ago, gamini said:

I personally think that they are a lot better than the farang trash that one encounters now. I prefer the Chinese any day, they dress properly, they are not "sexpats" and they don't get into fights and trouble.

Agree. Most of the poor behaviour from Chinese Here are the 50+ generation  who grew up deliberately under educated by the state. TheIr kids here now are clearly a class above the beer tossing one goal wonder yobs in Hyde Park last week. Who will hopefully go back to Ibiza this season. 

Edited by Small Joke
  • Like 2

This news just to hand:

47 ants died today after the laundry floor flooded.

20% of the nests' worker ants said they wont go near the laundry again.

The other 80% of ants appeared to have no real opinion, as the never ending hunt for packets of spicey seaweed and Soi-dog flavoured Mama noodles continues unabated before the U.S. trade war really curtails the nests economy.

Edited by Panda13

What the hell do they expect?  Seriously people speak about the Chinese as if they don't matter then complain when they don't come.  The Thai ATTITUDE towards ALL Visitors MUST change.  The world has been very, very forgiving of Thailand but if the attitudes don't change the market will change for them...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Small Joke said:

The interesting thing about a mindset, my own included,  is that one tends to see or find examples to justify ones perceptions. I've  experienced rude Chinese, and gracious, kind, hygienic Chinese.  

Just as I'm sure millions of English supporters in pubs everywhere didn't feel the need to baptise each other in Bitter when England scored last week. But those are the type that Dance on Ambulances,  then come here and drag the reputation  of one of the world's better societies  through the soi gutter.  If you're going to be around for more than a decade,  better learn to accept the Chinese, because this is their Century. We had our day in the Colonial sun. I'd prefer to be top dog of course,  but hating it is futile. Cheer up,  at least for now, they still hold YOU in higher esteem that the locals, so I'm told. 

"I've  experienced rude Chinese, and gracious, kind, hygienic Chinese. "  where??

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The Transport Ministry and governmental agencies concerned have been working frantically to plug public safety loopholes

Funny how the thought of a money drain can spur action. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, controversy said:

I'm sure millions of English supporters in pubs everywhere didn't feel the need to baptise each other in Bitter when England scored last week. But those are the type that Dance on Ambulances,  then come here and drag the reputation  of one of the world's better societies  through the soi gutter. 

What an odd observation.

I am curious, regarding the cancelations, what percentage is due to the perception of safety, and how much is due to the handling of the tragedy (i.e., the government's public responses). I mean, if I had already booked my trip to Thailand, and I saw the news of the tragedy, I would cancel my boat trip, not my vacation. I wonder if this is more of an "F.U. Thailand", as opposed to "that looks scary".

I am curious, regarding the cancelations, what percentage is due to the perception of safety, and how much is due to the handling of the tragedy (i.e., the government's public responses). I mean, if I had already booked my trip to Thailand, and I saw the news of the tragedy, I would cancel my boat trip, not my vacation. I wonder if this is more of an "F.U. Thailand", as opposed to "that looks scary".

Nice to think it was “F.U”

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The Chinese tourists were excited about coming to visit Thailand and the "west" for many reasons. This kind of tragic event touched their souls and left them with pain in their hearts. Yes, more tourists will come and "money" will continue to be made. HOWEVER, the issue of TRUST must be rebuilt. The ones responsible for the greedy and fateful decision must be legitimately held responsible. Also, Prayuth and the junta crew must reach out to the Chinese (and all) tourists with sincere goodwill. Trust will then be restored.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:34 AM, webfact said:

10 million Chinese tourists visiting Thailand each year which has already generated more than 500,000 million baht.

500,000 million - a new way to write numbers?  500 billion is simpler.

The Chinese tend to be very rude travelers. So much so, that the Chinese government is tracking them and will punish those who misbehave while abroad.

I've lived and worked in China and there are a ton of them in Laos vacationing. My experience tells me that Thailand should be quite content to be rid of them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

Isn't that an American billion - nine zeros. A British billion is (or was when I was at school) a million million - twelve zeros.

Having said that, big numbers seem to be used to make things look impressive for the hard-of-learning:

A mobile phone battery rated at 3,000mA hours, where in 'real money' it's 3A hours.

Years ago, a home entertainment system was rated at, say, 2,000 watts PMPO, where the real rating was more likely to be nearer 150 Watts RMS.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 2:49 PM, Jonmarleesco said:

Prawit: 1) open mouth; 2) put foot in; 3) put brain into gear. 

You are assuming he has a brain, I think he is a medical experiment to show a human can live without a brain however not function well

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Years ago, a home entertainment system was rated at, say, 2,000 watts PMPO, where the real rating was more likely to be nearer 150 Watts RMS.

Unfortunately it seems to be heading back that way (to PMPO) for "cheap" systems. For the 'purist' it is still likely to be shown, more boldly, as RMS.

Big numbers are impressive, even outside of the kingdom. :smile:

I used to regularly ride one of my motorbikes at around 100MPH on the open road (back in the 60's :smile:) but nowadays, 165KPH sounds so much faster.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Unfortunately it seems to be heading back that way (to PMPO) for "cheap" systems. For the 'purist' it is still likely to be shown, more boldly, as RMS.

Big numbers are impressive, even outside of the kingdom. :smile:

I used to regularly ride one of my motorbikes at around 100MPH on the open road (back in the 60's :smile:) but nowadays, 165KPH sounds so much faster.

"I used to regularly ride one of my motorbikes at around 100MPH on the open road (back in the 60's :smile:) but nowadays, 165KPH sounds so much faster."

Finally adapting a much more logical system really is progress.

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"I used to regularly ride one of my motorbikes at around 100MPH on the open road (back in the 60's :smile:) but nowadays, 165KPH sounds so much faster."

Finally adapting a much more logical system really is progress.

5555  Tell that to the Yanks :clap2:

All tourists traveing in Thailand should know: they are in big risk of their lives as nobody are about safety!!!!!!!!!!!

So just enjoy all the "tourist attractions and special adventures" and you get into many risky situations..just think on all the many boat injuries of people going diving or snorkling or or or.....

“I am also the president of the Tourism Assistance Fund. We are funding compensation to be paid to boats tragedy victims as soon as possible. We need to get back Chinese tourist confidence after this boat tragedy as fast as possible. We are keen for Chinese tourists to keep coming
to Thailand and Phuket”
  I am sure you are as you want their money. Some people are not interested in money buying them back. If they lost their husband, wife, child, uncle, loved one etc they probably are more interested in why the accident happened investigated to Western standard of investigation, eg get Britain or someone to investigate and actions taken to make sure it does not happen again. Why do so many Thais even in power think that money beats and cures anything. What about morales! These people are so ignorant. I should imagine money is not on someone's mind who a few days ago lost a loved one. All the Thais care about mainly is loss of money so they offer money! Get educated Pongpanu Svetarundra spend some time in Britain, Australia see how these accidents are prevented! Take note also how in advanced countries they do not prioritise the offer money in the hope it makes things better, they prevent much better and also investigate much better. Neither of which will happen here.

Edited by AdamTheFarang

14 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

That is the actually the way numbers are said in Thai.

To say "1 billion" they use 'หนึ่งพันล้าน' or 'neung phan laan' or 'one thousand million'.

To say "1 trillion" they use 'หนึ่งล้านล้าน' or 'neung laan laan' or 'one million million'.

On 7/15/2018 at 8:49 PM, JHolmesJr said:

To recoup the losses just announce few more all you can eat prawn buffets...the chinese will be begging to come back

Sure, but the prawns are probably imported from China.  ?

Think, "zero baht tourists."