Thai Gov’t monitoring online information

rooster59

Thai Gov’t monitoring online information

Thammarat Thadaphrom

PNPOL610714001000101.jpg

BANGKOK, 14th July 2018 (NNT) – Security agencies are monitoring false, distorted, and fabricated reports online in a bid to maintain national security. 

Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan has instructed responsible units to monitor online information and bring those who spread false information deemed a threat to national security, to justice.

Online fabrication and distortion is in violation of the Computer Related Crime Act, B.E. 2560, he said, adding that those found guilty will be subject to a fine and jail time. 

The law stipulates that “a person who enters false data into a computer system that could cause damage to the public, create panic, or cause harm to public infrastructure, national security, public security or economic security must be subject to a maximum five-year jail term and a maximum one hundred thousand baht fine or both.” 

The deputy premier then pleaded with the public to check their sources before sharing and immediately alert a responsible agency should they come across fake news or information.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-07-15
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes true... I never said that Thailand has good laws, only said I can understand that fake news is a problem. Problem is who decides what is fake. That is something that is certainly real dangerous here. 

But for instance how do you feel about doctored tapes / pictures to incite people ? Talking about faking things to cause damage to someone or a party or whatever ?

Why do you have to do this to me when I have just woken up and am craving caffeine...?

Yes, it is a problem. How solvable it is I don't know. However laws with deliberately vague definitions of what 'fake' is, coupled with draconian punishments, designed to favour and protect a small percentage of society, is not the way to go about it.

Now leave me alone until I get some coffee..(?)

Edited by baboon
  • Like 1

Just now, baboon said:

Why do you have to do this to me when I have just woken up and am craving caffeine...?

Yes, it is a problem. How solvable it is I don't know. However laws with deliberately vague definitions of what 'fake' is, coupled with draconian punishments, designed to favour and protect a small percentage of society, is not the way to go about it.

Now leave me alone until I get some coffee..(?)

I have had my caffeine already it did not help. 

Your right its a problem and how solvable it is I have also no idea. I also agree with you that in Thailand the problem will be that it will be used against people who are not agreeing with the government of the time. I think in Thailand like you said it will only be a tool to go after their adversaries. My remarks were in general, not Thailand specific as here it will be used to gain more control. 

But as i said in an other post, I would think this would already be covered by the defamation laws they are far to strong here I doubt there is need for this here. I mean if you say something bad about a bakery you can end up in court already. So why do they need new laws. 

Think it is  a warning guys be careful what you say about the government I have had readers in here attack and question me what I say in here and I reckon they are put there by the government because when i look them up the nickname they use is not there So be careful Ok we all crack jokes about the Pm and so on and get into debate about things but the way these guys were asking questions they were not regulars ok

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Think it is  a warning guys be careful what you say about the government I have had readers in here attack and question me what I say in here and I reckon they are put there by the government because when i look them up the nickname they use is not there So be careful Ok we all crack jokes about the Pm and so on and get into debate about things but the way these guys were asking questions they were not regulars ok

Are you serious Happyman58? Or did I miss the sarcasm?

I'm serious, I would like to hear more comments on this topic.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, robblok said:

I have had my caffeine already it did not help. 

Your right its a problem and how solvable it is I have also no idea. I also agree with you that in Thailand the problem will be that it will be used against people who are not agreeing with the government of the time. I think in Thailand like you said it will only be a tool to go after their adversaries. My remarks were in general, not Thailand specific as here it will be used to gain more control. 

But as i said in an other post, I would think this would already be covered by the defamation laws they are far to strong here I doubt there is need for this here. I mean if you say something bad about a bakery you can end up in court already. So why do they need new laws. 

More laws = more charges = more trouble for one's adversary, I suppose.

I agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post.

Sounds like they are copying the Chinese.

China launched a new website this week where citizens can report leaks and fake news about the military.

The move is consistent with China's internet censorship laws, which are some of the strictest in the world.

http://www.businessinsider.com/china-military-crackdown-website-reports-fake-news-2017-111531624981562.jpeg

Sent from my vivo 1716 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Sounds like they are copying the Chinese.

http://www.businessinsider.com/china-military-crackdown-website-reports-fake-news-2017-111531624981562.jpeg

Sent from my vivo 1716 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, they want to create a nation of cowardly little tell-tales, sneaks and snitches.

Heaven help humanity!

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eligius said:

The monitoring and ruthless attack upon dissidents will get more intense as we approach the 'election' (which will be a long time in coming).

Worrying times ...

A little bit over the top, maybe?

Compare the situation in Thailand with, for example:

Laos

Cambodia

Vietnam

Burma

Indonesia

Philippines

And what about the EU?

7 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Interesting that intent is missing from the above.  Every news organization has had to retract a story as they got the facts wrong.   It happens.  Mistakes are made.  The law looks more like weapon for the government than a protector of the public.  Thai law......

Good point.

And note that online information that could 'cause damage to the public' is one of the criteria for imprisonment. This of course means that anything that is written against the junta is liable to prosecution - because we all know that to impede the junta in any way is to do irreparable harm to the whole of Thailand!

• Haha 1

Actually, criticizing the CCA may even be considered as a crime.

"The government has shown an increasingly aggressive attitude toward critics of the CCA. The spokesman of the Prime Minister’s Office, Lt. Gen. Sansern Kaewkamnerd, told media on December 18 that people who participated in any form of protest against the CCA could be prosecuted for causing public disturbances. Two days earlier, the Army Cyber Center warned that posting or sharing online commentary that criticizes the CCA could be considered false information and result in prosecution."

https://www.hrw.org/news/2016/12/21/thailand-cyber-crime-act-tightens-internet-control

• Like 1

4 hours ago, baboon said:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You have the likes of JAG and myself who have been at them from more or less day one, but we remain at large. Now either the junta are scared of us, which I somehow doubt, incapable of finding us, which I doubt too, or simply don't care what we think. I am going with the latter.

They have enough of a job on their hands keeping tabs on their homegrown dissidents without worrying about a website that few to no Thais read.

And the fact that we don't have a vote in any election.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

Probably not from the Govt, the Govt doesn't much care what we think or say, even if they could understand it - we're foreigners and don't matter. Probably come fom rather closer to home, in fact I'd put money on it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hansnl said:

A little bit over the top, maybe?

Compare the situation in Thailand with, for example:

Laos

Cambodia

Vietnam

Burma

Indonesia

Philippines

And what about the EU?

What is there to link any of the other states you mention to the EU?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Happyman58 said:

Who are these readers?