VIDEO: British cave explorer Vern Unsworth considers legal action against Elon Musk

webfact

"I'm not going to make any further comment about (Musk)," Unsworth continued. "But I think people realize what sort of guy he is."

"Would you consider taking legal action against him?" a reporter asked, again.

"Yes," Unsworth said instantly. "Yes, it's not finished."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2018/07/15/elon-musk-insisting-he-helped-in-thai-cave-rescue-calls-actual-rescuer-a-pedo

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I have no idea what's going on with this, and am not inclined to take the time to figure it out.

But it seemed to me, in the original thread on this, there was an assertion that "pedo" is some kind of common term/slang used among divers as in torpedo man.

Can anyone with diving experience chime in on whether "pedo" has a different/alternate slang meaning among that particular group?

I made the torpedo-guy comment, joking that he might be looking for a way to backpedal furiously after realising he'd made such an ill-judged tweet. Pedo (or paedo) is an outrageous slur on another man's character, and completely unambiguous in meaning.

Oddly though, torpedo-guy actually does sound vaguely plausible as a nickname he might use for one of his engineering team. 

• Like 2

I have no idea what Musk will do but as Mr. Unsworth has noted that he will be seeking legal advice upon his return to UK and "This is not over," if Musk is contrite and offers apologies and possible remuneration it will look like "Oh please don't sue me" which I don't know is in his make-up.

Edited by JLCrab

8 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

wouldn't get me in the thing that's for sure

Oh, so you'd rather have kids dragged through underwater rock outcroppings like rag dolls in this contraption I presume? Rescuers were terrified in the near zero visibility water that the masks on the kids could become displaced and they would have no way of knowing it, thus unknowingly transporting a corpse. Visibility was so bad rescuers found themselves bumping into rocks before even seeing them. Just imagine for a moment if Elon suggested this contraption as his great idea. All the thaivisa people would get on his side, tell him what a great person he is, and support elon right? Wrong. They'd say no chance of working, just a pr stunt, stupid guy, blah blah blah. This is a great example of BIAS.

1627122132_cavestretcher3.thumb.png.f39f4578422a40ce0aa90f4cd5293768.png

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, canopy said:

Oh, so you'd rather have kids dragged through underwater rock outcroppings like rag dolls in this contraption I presume? Rescuers were terrified in the near zero visibility water that the masks on the kids could become displaced and they would have no way of knowing it, thus unknowingly transporting a corpse. Visibility was so bad rescuers found themselves bumping into rocks before even seeing them. Just imagine for a moment if Elon suggested this contraption as his great idea. All the thaivisa people would get on his side, tell him what a great person he is, and support elon right? Wrong. They'd say no chance of working, just a pr stunt, stupid guy, blah blah blah. This is a great example of BIAS.

1627122132_cavestretcher3.thumb.png.f39f4578422a40ce0aa90f4cd5293768.png

seems to have worked pretty well

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AYJAYDEE said:

seems to have worked pretty well

And thank goodness for that and good work to all the brave heroes and Vern that made this happen. There is no denying however the risks of this approach were high and a 100% survival rate could not be guaranteed and everyone was fully aware of this. Even the aussie doctors who came to sedate the kids pre-arranged diplomatic immunity in case things went wrong. It is also worth noting they say if the operation started just one day later it would have had to been called off on the last group probably for 4 months due to weather. The window would be gone. Had things not behaved just enough (like pump failing earlier or earlier rains) the sub might well have found a very useful role. Leaving the kids in the cave for 4 months was already ruled out as a death sentence. There had to be another way to get them out: surface drilling, sub, something. Elon understood this and offered his full support of everything from all of his companies that might help get the kids out safely.

Edited by canopy
  • Sad 1

Vern Unsworth Sue his ass off!! There are lots of well-qualified attorneys who would love to take your case on a contingency basis. He needs to be taught a lesson as do a lot of other people like him.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

British cave explorer Vern Unsworth says he hasn’t ruled out taking legal action against Elon Musk after the tech billionaire called him a pedophile.

What's wrong with you guys? The one that got a really good worldwide attention for his mini-submarine and calls the hero a pedo, absolutely inappropriate, the hero that is not able to stop, that are only words and you shut know what you are. Make an end of that very bad thing! 

16 hours ago, Eligius said:

Right, Bluespunk. For a man to be called a paedophile is just about the nastiest slur that could be cast on a man's character. It's not like saying something such as: 'Oh, that diver is a silly idiot'.

Calling him a paedophile constitutes a horrendous criminal charge.

16 hours ago, Brunolem said:

Actually, Vern Unsworth was among the firsts on site and HE convinced the Thai authorities to call for international help, not the other way round.

Yet nobody called for Musk and Tesla, who have nothing to do with the rescue business.

To top it all, Musk showed up on the last day of the rescue, when 8 boys were already out...obviously the rescuers were not going to change their successful modus operandi to please Mr Musk!

Having said that, I think that Mr Unsworth should let go, if only because Mr Musk has much deeper pockets than him and could unleash an army of nasty lawyers to make his life miserable...

I like this fight. Musk will build a suitable "flexible submaine" and he will make it work in any place and any situation just to show off and make clear to his "enemies" that he can do anything he wants..and very well...with enough time and reasearch. In few more years even his enemies will be driving a Tesla Solar Powered Car... Now everybody is bragging because thanks God no kid die in the rescue, but the Aussie diving team got inmunity from the Thai Government after they told Mr. Prayut that it had a big chance that few kids will die during the rescue. If that did happen, everyone will be asking now why the divers didn't wait few more days for Musk to finish his "flexible submarine". The BIG Hero here was the Aussie doctor taking the BIG risk to sedating the kids for hours without proper medical monitors, and exposing the kids bodies to debris and mask failure, but having luck getting all out well and alive. This is from his own statement yesterday in Australia. 

Edited by Muzarella
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I like this fight. Musk will build a suitable "submaine" and he will make it work in any place and any situation just to show off and make clear to his "enemies" that he can do anything he wants..and very well...with enough time and reasearch. In few more years even his enemies will be driving a Tesla Solar Powered Car... Now everybody is bragging because thanks God no kid die in the rescue, but the Aussie diving team got inmunity from the Thai Government after they told Mr. Prayut that it had a big chance that few kids will die during the rescue. If that did happen, everyone will be asking now why the divers didn't wait few more days for Musk to finish his "flexible submarine". The BIG Hero here was the Aussie doctor taking the BIG risk in sedating the kids for hours without proper medical monitors, and exposing the kids bodies to debris and mask failure, but getting lucky to take all out well and alive. This is from his own statement yesterday in Australia. 

Edited by Muzarella
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Not sure I could just forget what musk called him. 

Damn sure that I couldn't.

Problem is though that when you go up against big money like this they will pay people to fit you up.  It is nothing to them.  They will always find a way to get their own way and they have the money to do it.

Know that his PR people saw how to make some press out of this on the first day.

17 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Musk has always struck me as kind of OK as far as billionaire entrepreneurs go, but in the end so many successful people are just a holes.

Very poor form to call someone a Pedo in a public slanging match.

Please guys:  Pedo does *not* mean Pedophile.

Reminds me of the time that in UK a Pediatrician had bricks through the windows of their house by the pitch fork mob because they didn't even know their own language. 

It's like the Crowd stupidity IQ thing (100 + 100 + 100) divided by 3 = 50

Edited by Shiver
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Very sad that this story that was so full of joy has degenerated like this. Musk should apologise immediately and hope Mr. Unsworth will let the matter lie. I wonder if he has any idea how nasty the Thai defamation laws are?

Only Musk does not live in Thailand , so thai laws have zero meaning .

2 minutes ago, Shiver said:

Please guys:  Pedo does *not* mean Pedophile.

Reminds me of the time that in UK a Pediatrician had bricks through the windows of their house by the pitch fork mob because they didn't even know their own language. 

It's like the Crowd stupidity IQ thing (100 + 100 + 100) divided by 3 = 50

"Pedo" in Spanish means "Fart"...... and probably Musk can probe that he was an illegal Mexican in the US.

• Haha 2