VIDEO: British cave explorer Vern Unsworth considers legal action against Elon Musk

webfact

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I have no idea what's going on with this, and am not inclined to take the time to figure it out.

But it seemed to me, in the original thread on this, there was an assertion that "pedo" is some kind of common term/slang used among divers as in torpedo man.

Can anyone with diving experience chime in on whether "pedo" has a different/alternate slang meaning among that particular group?

I was talking to friend of mine about this and he told me "pedo" is short for torpedo.  I'm not sure if he into diving, but this is the second time I heard it.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, monkfish said:

I don't see that or are you referring to the comment made by Kumail Nanjiani??

Yes, there was a series of tweets, but they have been deleted and are not accessible anymore...what is left are the tweets of those who replied...unfortunately...

Edited by Brunolem

It will be interesting to see how Bloomberg, CNBC, and Wall Street, as a whole reacts to this in a few hours from now.  Problems are really starting to surface at Tesla.  He made some huge blunders in his last shareholder meeting...would have been laughed out of town had he been in IT or Energy making statements like that.  Lawsuit or not, this is going to hurt him in the pocket.  Yes, Americans are brainwashed into thinking many are here for child sex, many others know better.  Washington Post can't mention LOS, without references to seedy nightlife, or worse.  I was insulted, but I have told people that anyone living within ten miles of a Catholic Church should really not be painting an entire country with the same brush.

Edited by moontang
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I also see this is an unfair attack on all white expats in Thailand. That's what many ignorant Americans think about Thailand. There are often jokes about that in Hollywood movies. You would think someone sophisticated like Musk would know better. 

However, I hate to be cynical about this but if the Thailand connection thing gets too hot for Musk he may withdraw his interest in INVESTING in Thailand, which he has voiced. That wouldn't be good. 

INVESTING what?  Tesla and solar city are broke.  EM is a billionair but his ventures are totally dependent on US and EU govt handouts.  Thailand can attract many foreign investors that actually MAKE money, not loose it every year.

2 minutes ago, pkspeaker said:

INVESTING what?  Tesla and solar city are broke.  EM is a billionair but his ventures are totally dependent on US and EU govt handouts.  Thailand can attract many foreign investors that actually MAKE money, not loose it every year.

It doesn't matter if he makes money or not. A huge potential investor is a huge potential investor. PERIOD. 

13 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Yes, there was a series of tweets, but they have been erased and are not accessible anymore...what is left are the tweets of those who replied...unfortunately...

Here you go.

This is the Tweet with the "pedo" quote in it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180715190709/https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1018497953051258880

Here is the first tweet that initiated the reply from EM. You should be able to navigate the tweets and drill down to Elon's replies.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180715154726/https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1018456864026132480

Edited by Forethat
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, sirineou said:

wrote that he didn't "see another reason for a white man to live in Thailand"!

Not doubting you, but can you provide a link?  A class action lawsuit in the US against Musk for defamation?  Vern Unsworth certainly has a strong claim, but I am not sure that you bring this as a class action even in the US.  But if you can, simply being a white man in Thailand may be worth thousands now.  Just a thought.

Edited by Horace
Missing ? And deleting a second "now"

6 minutes ago, Horace said:

Not doubting you, but can you provide a link?  A class action lawsuit in the US against Musk for defamation?  Vern Unsworth certainly has a strong claim, but I am not sure that you bring this as a class action even in the US.  But if you can, simply being a white man in Thailand may be worth thousands now.  Just a thought.

Actually he was quoting one of my previous posts, and myself I was quoting someone else who had quoted Musk!

So, no, this is not solid enough for a class action...

Edited by Brunolem

1 minute ago, OJAS said:

Assuming that Unsworth does decide to press defamation charges against him and he is still in the country at that point, I am sure that Musk will soon find this out once his passport has been seized and he finds himself unable to leave Thailand until the court case has been concluded at the very least - and, ideally, not before he has subsequenly done porridge for an exceedingly lengthy period of time in the Bangkok Hilton.

Is Musk still in Thailand?  Thailand imposes serious criminal penalties on this sort of defamation, and Unsworth is a hero. 

Even if Musk has returned to the US, he's looking at a serious civil damage claim, with plenty of lawyers willing to handle it on a contingency fee basis.  At the very least, I think Musk should be made to pay big time for his irresponsible tweet.

4 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Like the covfefe tweet...

The problem is that, despite being live for a very short time, the tweet has made the headlines worldwide!

So the prejudice caused to Mr Unsworth is quite significant...

Agree 1000%.  I suspect Musk already has lawyers trying to minimize the damage and I suspect a few US contingency lawyers will reach out to Mr. Unsworth.  I don't see this going away unless Musk pays big time and I think that is the right result.

Edited by Horace
Mosk to Musk

I’ll preface my comments with my original comment on another thread, to  Vern Unsworth, well done Sir, this was with regard to his invaluable help in the rescue.

This very ugly scenario is now tarnishing the whole event, people suggesting bringing in the “ambulance chasing “ lawyers with their no win no fee scams is lowering this to a farce and we will have no winners. 

To Vern, unless you have lots of money, a perfectly clean record, absolutely nothing you don’t want us to know about you, shut up.

Ruthless  lawyers with heaps to spend will destroy your reputation and character, any little thing they can find they will publicise. I personally would rather think of you as a good bloke, who luckily for the kids was around when needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Horace said:

Agree 1000%.  I suspect Mosk already has lawyers trying to minimize the damage and I suspect a few US contingency lawyers will reach out to Mr. Unsworth.  I don't see this going away unless Mosk pays big time.

A more subtle way for Mr Unsworth to deal with this would be to have his lawyer to contact Mr Musk's lawyers with the threat of action, and the objective to settle before going that far.

That would minimize the troubles, and the costs...

Edited by Brunolem
  • Thanks 1

Class action was just a shot in the dark. I also doubt it will happen.  But I also think Musk should pay for this.

With this sort of defendant and this sort of defamation, I am sure you can get a damn good lawyer for Mr. Unsworth and I don't think it will cost him a thing.  I can't see how Musk can possibly defend what he tweeted.  

2 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

A subtle way for Mr Unsworth to deal with this would be to have his lawyer to contact Mr Musk's lawyers with the threat of action, and the objective to settle before going that far.

That would minimize the troubles, and the costs...

Agree.  Musk has tremendous exposure here no matter where he is.  And I think its perfectly legitimate for Mr. Unsworth to make Mr. Musk pay.  And I think he can (why would Musk want to fight this and draw more attention to his reckless tweet?)

4 minutes ago, Loaded said:

musk is planning, according to the Prime Minister, to invest in Thailand. They ain't going to allow a defamation case against him, at least until his money is here.

Musk actually plans to invest in China...and before that he will have to convince his shareholders to fork out a few extra billions in a company that is hemorrhaging money to the tune of 12 million dollars a day (negative cash flow)!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Loaded said:

musk is planning, according to the Prime Minister, to invest in Thailand. They ain't going to allow a defamation case against him, at least until his money is here.

He can file a case in the US which is presumably where Musk was when he tweeted this.

While US does not share Thailand's draconian defamation law it does have criminal libel laws in 17 states...and aside from that one can file a civil suit anywhere in the US for defamation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Insulting the country of Thailand as well.....

Musk is going through very difficult times, businesswise, and he has posted many insane tweets recently, the one about Mr Unsworth among them...

He is under attack from all sides and reacts like a wounded animal.

Just a few days ago, it was revealed that "Mr Clean energy" was supporting Trump's "dirty energy" Republicans with his money!

That didn't fare well among his supporters...

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

While US does not share Thailand's draconian defamation law it does have criminal libel laws in 17 states...and aside from that one can file a civil suit anywhere in the US for defamation.

Agree.  This is best addressed in a civil case in the US where major damages are in play.  I think Musk's lawyers will tell him to pay quickly (which means a major amount) to make this go away quickly.  What Musk did is indefensible.