VIDEO: British cave explorer Vern Unsworth considers legal action against Elon Musk

webfact

2 minutes ago, Thian said:

I see, well maybe his sub can fit in that hole, maybe not....i bet he can build a sub with a jackhammer at the front as well to make that hole bigger.

A TBM (Tunnel Boring Machine) would do the job better...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retsdon said:

It's like a coursebook example of how to dig yourself into a hole. Not just over his spat with Vern, but before that with his cheap jibes at Narongsak, Elon Musk has proven himself to be egotistical to the point of rank stupidity. If he'd just said from the beginning that he'd done his best to help; that he understood perfectly why, under the circumstances, the Thai authorities had gone with the diver-assisted option;  that he hoped anyway that in the future his escape pod might prove useful; that he was grateful for being given the chance to have a try, etc, etc, blah, blah,-   then he'd have got all the publicity he wanted and come away smelling of roses. Instead, because his submarine wasn't chosen to do the job at the time, he had to start in with the insults and snide remarks .

But if he'd only just been civil, old Vern almost certainly wouldn't have told him where  to stick his submarine, and he (Musk) wouldn't have finished up in a damaging media war that has all downside and no upside for someone in his position. And now he's likely looking at a court case. Vern Unsworth is probably not a rich man, but for a chance to shakedown Elon Musk there'll be lawyers queuing up to take this all the way on a no win no fee basis.

For a man who's supposedly so very clever Elon Musk has demonstrated a remarkable lack of common sense. 

They published that the hole was small so divers had to take off their bottles...but his sub was about same size as a farang diver is wide...so i still don't know if the sub would fit or not, the info given was not very clear.

There were so many rescueoptions available at the moment that they first went for the divers...if that wouldn't work the sub or big waterpumps would be used i guess. It was good to have that around as a 2nd option.

I don't see the need for all this aftertalk....be happy that it's all over now.

Edited by Thian
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thian said:

They published that the hole was small so divers had to take off their bottles...but his sub was about same size as a farang diver is wide...so i still don't know if the sub would fit or not, the info given was not very clear.

I think also the issue may have been the length as there were tight bends vertical as well as horizontal to negotiate, who was the bloody fool who allowed him in the caves in the first place , I was thinking during the rescue he must have just been a nuisance and getting in the way and now seems I was right.

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Slip said:

Musk coughs up.  Job done.  Law suits are unlikely to be necessary.

Maybe but by giving an interview on CNN Mr. Unsworth may be considered a limited public figure which under libel law precedent in US makes it much harder to sue.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Basil B said:

So we can all sue him?

He is/was the 53rd richest person in the world...

I'm sure that a class action would prevail, particularly if taken here in Thailand but, as you rightly pointed out, the trick would be to get him over here first.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

This is what happens when a man's ego runs amok. At the bare minimum Musk should be issuing an apology. 

And the other guy should apologize for saying things that weren't cool.

Musk can pay for the best lawyers, private investigators, etc.. and the pedo thingy would easily be changed into something else. But the stick it where the sun doesn't shine could make Vern look pretty bad.

When do people understand that money is the law on this planet? 

The guy flew to a rescue operation with his submarine and maybe had the intention to help. But calling it a PR gag doesn't show much brain.

Sueing a billionaire is not a wise move. They would find something about Vern and make him look bad. And Musk wouldn't just sit there and wait. 

Edited by jenny2017

25 minutes ago, balo said:

I want to sue Musk myself , I live in Thailand and now my friends back home call me a pedo.   Look what you did you stupid idiot! 

I am not very demanding , just $1 mill will do .   

Let's make that to a bigger case. Now we're already two and $ 2 million will make us quiet. Anybody else? 

8 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Not sure I could just forget what musk called him. 

If he doesn't sue, he may appear to have something to hide.

Time to choose a battalion of no win no fee American lawyers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JLCrab said:

Maybe but by giving an interview on CNN Mr. Unsworth may be considered a limited public figure which under libel law precedent in US makes it much harder to sue.

Then freeze his UK assets and and sue him there

1 hour ago, TumblinDice said:

Here we go.

Vern looking to extend his 15 minutes of bragging rights.

Hope you can afford the high cost of a team of lawyers.

I think EM extracted more than 15 mins with his cheap PR stunt...

In using the word "cheap" I did not mean low in price but actually meant "of little worth because achieved in a discreditable way requiring little effort"

• Like 2