What products do you bring from home?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/26/2018 at 5:14 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

I brought 2 over from the uk on separate occasions ( different airlines ) and had no issues .

I have searched extensively with contrasting information. It was by belief they had to go in checked luggage with terminals taped off. I need a definitive answer, where did you carry them and how large were the batteries? if you don't mind me asking

Currently they dont want any lipo batteries or maybe any batteries in checked in.  I guess they think they can stop a fire easier in the cabin. 

And sometimes the overhead compartments are full and at the last minute they check in carry on bags... i worry how they find about about batteries.. just rely on a persons word?  its easy to forget about a battery befoe my last trip a month ago I tried to research about batteries and didn't find definite rules. 

7 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

I have searched extensively with contrasting information. It was by belief they had to go in checked luggage with terminals taped off. I need a definitive answer, where did you carry them and how large were the batteries? if you don't mind me asking

They were both 18v lithium ion batteries for cordless drills ( see photo).

Not sure which airline as I swap around for price, but possibly Qatar , Finnair, or Malaysian all to Heathrow or Manchester.

I’ll have a look at their sites , but I definitely saw it stated on a couple of sites ( maybe not the actual airline I flew with )that the battery goes in hand luggage with terminals taped and body of drill in checked baggage.

7613A117-9107-4D69-81F9-4213C296D040.jpeg

I will agree with you that there is conflicting information and on the first occasion I brought one over ( just over a year ago) I couldn’t find specific information to the airline I was traveling on so I started a thread on here and the general consensus was as I stated earlier.

Here’s a link to the FAA which basically governs all airlines entering the US

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=7

and a screenshot of Finnair who seem to say either ( check or hand ) baggage is ok .

IMG_6006.JPG

Another suggestion would be to contact the airline and airport and ask the question as I can only go by my own experiences and couldn’t say 100% that these rules will apply for you.

Anyone know how I can bring with me a big bicycle battery for my electric bike?   

Do I need a special permission or is the only option by sea ? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 3:46 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Tesco Lotus sell a generic Weetabix called Whole Wheat Biscuits !, they are okay and made in the UK , didn’t remember the price but not too extortionate ( or I wouldn’t buy them ! )

Thanks! Ill check it out. None in Big C where I usually shop for western foodie things

On 7/23/2018 at 3:43 PM, thaiguzzi said:

Cheese. Seriously.

Why pay 4 times the price for 1/4 of the choice for 1/2 the quality?

Yeah, seriously. And not even a quarter of the choice out in the sticks. It's cheddar, packet grated parmesan or Philadelphia. The cheddar is ok.

On 7/30/2018 at 9:38 AM, balo said:

Anyone know how I can bring with me a big bicycle battery for my electric bike?   

Do I need a special permission or is the only option by sea ? 

You better buy that online from china, much cheaper and the same battery if you order the same specs....it will come by boat in  2 weeks.

As i said before each to their own. The hassle of it for saving a a couple of hundred quid if you buy as much as you. I dont miss anything that much, and living in BKK you can get 99% of the stuff here. Would prefer to pay a quid or so more for things here than lug things back from the UK.

Don’t be such a patronizing tosser,any normal person would buy stuff that’s difficult to source or 5 times the price in the land of .....

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Deodorant, shaving cream 1usd, cherries if in season, electronics perhaps, cigars, clothes, sun screen, maybe snacks. Camping gear.

Our bags are full on return, but it's nothing I can't find here and I really have list interest in all the western stuff or food. Just deal with it. Wife is bringing clothes, accessories.

Last 2x times we were pulled aside and x-rayed.

On 7/18/2018 at 7:42 PM, smutcakes said:

None, you can get everything you need here. And if you are here for the long haul you may as well just find alternatives that can be sourced locally. I can understand some medicine, contact lenses but things like cheese? seriously?

Cheese is four times the cost compared to oz. I bring 6 kg.

Also whey80% protein powder and preworkout powders. 3-4 times the price also.

Visine eye drops. Cant get here.

Kwells travel sickness, although dramamine is sold here.

Chocolate variety gift boxes.like cadbury roses.  Cant get here

Decent licorice. Cant get here.

Ummm....

4 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Cheese is four times the cost compared to oz. I bring 6 kg.

Also whey80% protein powder and preworkout powders. 3-4 times the price also.

Visine eye drops. Cant get here.

Kwells travel sickness, although dramamine is sold here.

Chocolate variety gift boxes.like cadbury roses.  Cant get here

Decent licorice. Cant get here.

Ummm....

I just had 5.5 my of licorice delivered to the parents...picking it up next month.  It travels and keeps well.

• 2 months later...

Archived