What products do you bring from home?

1 hour ago, 5633572526 said:

Anything that is imported to Thailand will likely cost you more than in your country. Stock up

I think that what you claim is quite right.

I have been shopping imported stuff in Thailand for many years, it is not cheap. Some of it very expensive

and some come at silly prices.

So far I think the only exception is clothes made of imported high quality fabric, not costly in Thailand, not cheap but cost more in Europe

low to medium quality fabric doesn't result in cheap stuff in Thailand.

2 hours ago, Blue Muton said:

HP sauce is readily available in Tesco and Big C, no need to take up valuable luggage space with that. As for the City shirt.......

For the past 9 months, our local Tesco and Big C has only the HP steak sauce, not the same.

As for the city shirt.....................

14 hours ago, Elkski said:
14 hours ago, smotherb said:

The thread is entitled, "What products do you bring from home?"  My answer is nothing. Are you suggesting I do not have the right to respond?

YES!!!

sure you have the right but it's obviously dumb to post.  

how do you guys know how the airlines handle baggage underneath the airplane storage.   I'm pretty sure they can put the first class bags in a special area that they can get out first.     I think you mean condom size 56 not 36 lol.   These are the best condoms.  I like the skyn large ones.  6.99 USD/dz at Walmart stores.  Good for women with latex allergies.   https://www.condom-sizes.org/condom-brands/lifestyles-skyn-condoms

Why is it dumb to post what I bring in country? That is what the OP asked.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Of course not.

I'm just curious as to why your answer wasn't just "nothing", and particularly why you would then describe your travelling arrangements in great detail when they are apparently not relevant to the question.

You dont bring anything with you, so it's no real surprise to me that you travel light. I do bring lots with me, and so I have baggage. What else is new?

I like to explain my reasoning. Nothing makes you read it or respond to it. Now you are telling me  I should only have said, "nothing."  Who appointed you the Length of Comment Police?

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

...except the absolute, bliss and freedom of building stuff in your own shed. Farangs can own a shed you know? They can also own everything that is in it... EXCLUSIVELY!

Look, I didn't literally mean your wife can't find decent drill bits. I know your wife, like most here, doesn't have a clue about drill bits. It was just a segue to introducing other aspects of stuff we cannot live without beyond cheese or McVitie's Digestives or Vegemite into the thread that is all about what stuff you need from home.

Please feel free to make your own thread about, "How I embraced Thailand's self-sufficiency mantra and pontificated as much on a forum thread about bringing stuff from home."

I build things in my mind not with my hands. I research and write. I can get computers and internet access here and communicate with colleagues elsewhere.

You do not know my wife, she is aware of drill bits. She is the plumber, electrician, carpenter and mason in the family. Anything she needs; she gets here or hires it done. She is also a great cook, homemaker, bookkeeper, travel agent and business manager. As I have said, I like a good-looking, intelligent, and capable woman.

You get me wrong on , " . . . Thailand's self-sufficiency mantra . . ." I have lived and worked in different locations around the world all my life and been self-sufficient in all places. So, I have learned to deal with substitutes. They work out well for the most part; especially if you have the wherewithal to adapt.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, kickstart said:

Fair comment if that is your lifestyle, here today, gone tomorrow, and the fact that you have read about farang's getting ripped off buying land, property etc .

The wife and myself have a bit of land, rear a few cattle I enjoy it, keeps me occupied,  I can say I have a better lifestyle here, then living in a one bed flat, on the edge of a UK town with no prospects of work.I am 60 plus. 

I think we are all here today and gone tomorrow. I am 73 and have worked and lived in Asia for most of the last 52 years. I have more than read about farangs getting ripped-off; I have seen it. I have an old-farm in West Virginia; quite frankly, it is the only thing I really miss about the States, but I cannot live there. I need a city.  I have a nice home wherever I live; so I have nothing to compare with your one-bed flat or with no prospects of work.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I like to explain my reasoning. Nothing makes you read it or respond to it. Now you are telling me  I should only have said, "nothing."  Who appointed you the Length of Comment Police?

I dont care either way, nor did I tell you what to do.

I just find it odd that someone who doesnt bring anything back with him should be so interested in a topic about what people bring back with them, and even odder to comment in it at such length. Still, if that's how you like spending the short time you say you have left, by all means do so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kickstart said:

For the past 9 months, our local Tesco and Big C has only the HP steak sauce, not the same.

As for the city shirt.....................

Plenty of the real HP in Suphan, I bought some a few days ago, it's a must for bacon butties.

last visit , 10 kilo Belgian Chocolate (real chocolate , not that English imitation variety...lol..? ) 5 kilo Cambozola /Gorgonzola / Emmenthaler ,  1 kiloGrano Padano vacuum bags  for my spaghettis ,  also some sharp mustard, vitamins, some 2 chocopast Delinut, Chocodrink powders

Here look yourself  ?….. some 30 kilo all, spread over 2 bags

thumbnail.jpg

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 7:47 AM, Nyezhov said:

Condoms

Note to those new to Thailand : This is not a joke.

While I am not hugely endowed, apparently I'm bigger than the average Thai man. I'm not gloating (well, maybe a bit), but it's true that size DOES matter when buying locally. I can't speak to quality of local products, but judging from many other products here....... well.... You decide.

You can't fully appreciate the problem until you get the largest size 7-11 has and then feel strangled and short-sheeted by the damn thing.

I've had more than one Thai woman advise me to bring my own from home. They understand the problem and are afraid that having only half the tool covered is not safe and certainly not comfortable.

Restricting blood flow is painful as well as counter-productive.

Thank you Nyezhov.

6 hours ago, smotherb said:

Thailand's self-sufficiency mantra . . ." I have lived and worked in different locations around the world all my life and been self-sufficient in all places. So, I have learned to deal with substitutes. They work out well for the most part; especially if you have the wherewithal to adapt.

Try living in Alaska 25 years ago. Thats why the only thing that truly matters is soft buttwipe.

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

Note to those new to Thailand : This is not a joke.

While I am not hugely endowed, apparently I'm bigger than the average Thai man. I'm not gloating (well, maybe a bit), but it's true that size DOES matter when buying locally. I can't speak to quality of local products, but judging from many other products here....... well.... You decide.

You can't fully appreciate the problem until you get the largest size 7-11 has and then feel strangled and short-sheeted by the damn thing.

I've had more than one Thai woman advise me to bring my own from home. They understand the problem and are afraid that having only half the tool covered is not safe and certainly not comfortable.

Restricting blood flow is painful as well as counter-productive.

Thank you Nyezhov.

Your welcome, but in my case is referring to the extra smalls which I use. Finger cots basically

• Haha 1

Just now, Nyezhov said:

Try living in Alaska 25 years ago. Thats why the only thing that truly matters is soft buttwipe.

Twenty five years ago I was in the Philippines; Alaska is far too cold. And, I wash my butt. I guess I may have had to warm the water a bit in Alaska,

HP sauce is readily available in Tesco and Big C, no need to take up valuable luggage space with that. As for the City shirt.......
Its expensive though...some Tops shops stock Waitrose brown sauce which is much cheaper.
1532572962112.jpeg

On 7/24/2018 at 2:18 PM, NanLaew said:

I bet she can't find any decent quality drill bits locally though.

For the home handyman, these are a must. Beyond your favorite brand power tool, any other DIY guys bring stuff from overseas? When I was building the house a dozen years ago, wire nuts were an unknown concept, now common enough, same as crimp-on terminals and the like. However, like drill bits, there's NO decent crimping tool available in LOS so brought one from the UK. Used to do the same when taps were designed with washers as the local ones were rubbish and taps would drip from new.

I bought a lot of tools in Thailand but they were all crap, so i brought some from europe where they sell the latest models from Makita...

Drillbits are indeed not in Thailand, maybe in the makita headquarter-demoshop in BKK (where nobody speaks english).

Also pozidrive bits (used for european woodscrews) are not in Thailand at all, they use phillips bits...

35 minutes ago, Thian said:

I bought a lot of tools in Thailand but they were all crap, so i brought some from europe where they sell the latest models from Makita...

Drillbits are indeed not in Thailand, maybe in the makita headquarter-demoshop in BKK (where nobody speaks english).

Also pozidrive bits (used for european woodscrews) are not in Thailand at all, they use phillips bits...

35 minutes ago, Thian said:

Were any of the tools cordless with lithium Ion batteries? If so, did you carry the batteries as onboard luggage or checked luggage.

I have bought hex drive bits in Thailand, just in the local mom and pop hardware store.

Edited by Farangwithaplan
added

28 minutes ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Were any of the tools cordless with lithium Ion batteries? If so, did you carry the batteries as onboard luggage or checked luggage.

I have bought hex drive bits in Thailand, just in the local mom and pop hardware store.

You can bring lithium batteries as handluggage but they shouldn't be too strong...

I bought a bigger battery from china and shipped to bkk which was transported by boat, but still delivered in 14 days time.

• Thanks 1

I brought a couple of cordless drills from the uk and after some internet searches it became apparent that the correct way to carry lithium ion batteries is in your hand luggage with the terminals taped over, the body of the drill should go in your checked bag.
Check the airline website as some state this in their security section.

I brought 2 over from the uk on separate occasions ( different airlines ) and had no issues .
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, for the info on the batteries. I assumed carry on was how to carry them, but with the newer and larger powerbanks not being allowed, I had not done a recent check to find out exactly what was allowed and what was not.

It is confusing about batteries and carry on.  But they for sure don't want power Banks in checked in bags.   I just wonder how bad it would be with a lipo battery fire in the cabin.  I've seen those videos.  

I thought carry on only allowed one and 4,000 mAh limit  

On 7/23/2018 at 11:13 AM, possum1931 said:

Rich tea biscuits? They will be all broken up when you get here, besides, they can be as cheap here as in the UK.

The 40 baht per pack ones you find in Friendship supermarket or others with the Russian or Arabic writing on are totally fake and not the same. I know my biscuits!

And I carry as hand luggage so they won't be broken.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Not if in moderation, and you lay off the alcohol and do exercise.

As always, you are right. But I would rather have a beer than all that sweet crap made from sugar and gelatine.

• Sad 1