What products do you bring from home?

54 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Ah, but you see Kitten, I also live here, but I have lived in the Middle East and Southeast Asia most of my life. I traveled light even when I worked and did take first-class. In fact, I traveled light when I moved from post to post when the company moved all my  HHG.

Now, I am retired, but my time is even more important to me now because it is all mine. I don't fly first-class anymore. I understand economy gets there the same time as first class. I don't want to be bothered by the logistics of any more than a carry-on. As I said, I can buy what I need as I go.

Perhaps more importantly, I have a lovely lady who takes care of me. She doesn't mind taking all day to find what I like, or to go to the trouble of making it for me.  She also travels light; she too sees the benefits.

I bet she can't find any decent quality drill bits locally though.

For the home handyman, these are a must. Beyond your favorite brand power tool, any other DIY guys bring stuff from overseas? When I was building the house a dozen years ago, wire nuts were an unknown concept, now common enough, same as crimp-on terminals and the like. However, like drill bits, there's NO decent crimping tool available in LOS so brought one from the UK. Used to do the same when taps were designed with washers as the local ones were rubbish and taps would drip from new.

On 7/23/2018 at 9:08 AM, spidermike007 said:

I pay $10 a pound for good quality dutch goat cheese at Trader Joes in LA. It costs 2,000 baht per kilo here. I cannot get high quality peanut butter here. There I pay $3 to $4 for a pound of organic roasted peanut butter, with no salt or added oils. The dark chocolate is not only cheaper in the US, but far better. Have been bringing back bags of Alaskan sockeye salmon, that is smoked, and stored in hermetically sealed bags, in it's own brine, so that it is preserved for days, until it reaches my freezer. Spectacular stuff. Never seen wild salmon in Thailand, at any price. High quality tequila (impossible to find here, unless you consider Cuervo or Patron to be good stuff, sorry I do not) and fine wine. Same for almond butter, herbal supplements, good licorice, bed sheets, quality hard drives, headsets, watches, clothing, razor blades, shaving cream, moisturizers, shoes (I buy the same shoes on ebay and elsewhere for about 30% of the cost here), pretzels (impossible to find pretzels here without killer palm or canola oil), etc. I could go on for days. I save a fortune by bringing back boxes and duffel bags full of stuff. 

The statement about being able to find everything you need here is not even worth responding to, and does not apply, unless you are a monk.

And some of you guys try to tell us that you came here to "get away from it all."

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

For the home handyman, these are a must. Beyond your favorite brand power tool, any other DIY guys bring stuff from overseas? When I was building the house a dozen years ago, wire nuts were an unknown concept, now common enough, same as crimp-on terminals and the like. However, like drill bits, there's NO decent crimping tool available in LOS so brought one from the UK. Used to do the same when taps were designed with washers as the local ones were rubbish and taps would drip from new.

You can get good drill bits just got to look for them, we have a small holding, rearing a few cattle and I am always drilling something, a local shop near me sells good quality  German HSS drill bits.

But, I do now have a box full of blunt drill bits, so next journey to the UK a drill bit sharpener is on my list, have found one on Amazon,and it should soon pay for itself, I always bring stuff back for the farm, last time electric fence insulators, just can not get things like this in LOS.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 8:47 PM, Nyezhov said:

Condoms

I had someone give me a hard time when I said Asians were smaller than Americans and Europeans.  I'm sure the PC crowd will howl and squeal at such a statement, but there is a reason that one can only buy a 36 sized condom here as the largest available.  I think 29 is the smallest but for most of us, 36 is a bit snug.  I have to import mine from Amazon.  There's a reason the Thais don't sell larger than 36 and that is because 29-36 covers most of them.  It, however, does little for us.

If your bags are first on, I can guarantee you, that they will be last off.

Exactly. Which is why a Business Class traveler checking-in early is not likely to have their bag first off the conveyor belt, as claimed by someone else earlier in this thread.

5 hours ago, smotherb said:

Ah, but you see Kitten, I also live here, but I have lived in the Middle East and Southeast Asia most of my life. I traveled light even when I worked and did take first-class. In fact, I traveled light when I moved from post to post when the company moved all my  HHG.

Now, I am retired, but my time is even more important to me now because it is all mine. I don't fly first-class anymore. I understand economy gets there the same time as first class. I don't want to be bothered by the logistics of any more than a carry-on. As I said, I can buy what I need as I go.

Perhaps more importantly, I have a lovely lady who takes care of me. She doesn't mind taking all day to find what I like, or to go to the trouble of making it for me.  She also travels light; she too sees the benefits.

One wonders why you are interested in thread about what people bring from home if your answer is just "nothing"?

Qatar, SriLankan, Finnair to name just the three I used most recently.

Nah... I call BS to anyone who claims that their luggage is first off just because they’ve flown Business Class.

See post #156.... “if your bags are first on, they’ll be last off”.

good quality USB cellphone charge cables.

good quality power strips with real ground connection. 

computers.

cameras.

watches.

motorcycle helmets and gloves.

bifocal sunglasses.

reading glasses.

Mitchum unscented deodorant.

large condoms. :coffee1:

sex toys.

Phased plasma rifle. 40 watt range. 

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I don't need any drill bits or power tools and I certainly am not into DIY. I will not build, buy, or finance and house, condo, or property here. So all your reasons make absolutely no sense to me. As I said, I can buy/hire/rent what I need; gives me the freedom I like.    

44 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

One wonders why you are interested in thread about what people bring from home if your answer is just "nothing"?

The thread is entitled, "What products do you bring form home?" My answer is nothing. Are you suggesting I do not have the right to respond?

Edited by smotherb

2 minutes ago, smotherb said:

The thread is entitled, "What products do you bring from home?"  My answer is nothing. Are you suggesting I do not have the right to respond?

Now that you have made that clear, there won't be any need to chastise those that do. 

Just now, tweedledee2 said:

Now that you have made that clear, there won't be any need to chastise those that do. 

If  you note, I edited that response and put it in smaller font; don't know how it got in large font.  However, why are you so defensive? I simply said what I have done all my life. Namely, if I am going to live somewhere, I learn to get what I need locally.

6 minutes ago, smotherb said:

The thread is entitled, "What products do you bring from home?"  My answer is nothing. Are you suggesting I do not have the right to respond?

YES!!!

sure you have the right but it's obviously dumb to post.  

how do you guys know how the airlines handle baggage underneath the airplane storage.   I'm pretty sure they can put the first class bags in a special area that they can get out first.     I think you mean condom size 56 not 36 lol.   These are the best condoms.  I like the skyn large ones.  6.99 USD/dz at Walmart stores.  Good for women with latex allergies.   https://www.condom-sizes.org/condom-brands/lifestyles-skyn-condoms

22 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

good quality USB cellphone charge cables.

good quality power strips with real ground connection. 

watches.

Mitchum unscented deodorant.

large condoms. :coffee1:

Phase plasma rifle. 40 watt range. 

Medicine one cannot find here.

Pens.

Vintage watches

7 hours ago, smotherb said:

The thread is entitled, "What products do you bring form home?" My answer is nothing. Are you suggesting I do not have the right to respond?

Of course not.

I'm just curious as to why your answer wasn't just "nothing", and particularly why you would then describe your travelling arrangements in great detail when they are apparently not relevant to the question.

You dont bring anything with you, so it's no real surprise to me that you travel light. I do bring lots with me, and so I have baggage. What else is new?

13 hours ago, kickstart said:

You can get good drill bits just got to look for them, we have a small holding, rearing a few cattle and I am always drilling something, a local shop near me sells good quality  German HSS drill bits.

But, I do now have a box full of blunt drill bits, so next journey to the UK a drill bit sharpener is on my list, have found one on Amazon,and it should soon pay for itself, I always bring stuff back for the farm, last time electric fence insulators, just can not get things like this in LOS.

If they are indeed authentic German HSS drill bits, they won't be going blunt so fast. The hardware shops and even the premium 'home improvement' stores have a high amount of either fake or low-quality branded name stuff. I invested in some Bosch masonry bits locally, all fake but the Bosch ones I brought back from B&Q in the UK are still sharp. The only time I reckon I got genuine name brand drill bits locally was at a True Value store but they weren't cheap.

Good call on the bit sharpener though. You will quickly find the real rubbish, low-quality dross in your blunt drill bit box when the sharpener eats them up like cheese. Throw them away. Life's too short to use 3 or 4 drill bits for a 3/8" hole.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 9:08 AM, spidermike007 said:

I cannot get high quality peanut butter here. There I pay $3 to $4 for a pound of organic roasted peanut butter, with no salt or added oils. 

Same for almond butter, herbal supplements, good licorice, bed sheets, quality hard drives, headsets, watches, clothing, razor blades, shaving cream, moisturizers, shoes

For the peanut butter, I have found a local brand that is sold in selected tops only in small jars with a yellow label. I cannot recall the name right now. It is 100% peanut with no added oils.

I'm a little confused on what you are referring to when you mention quality hard drives. I find reasonable prices doe Samsung and Western Digital drives in both SSD and HDD flavours here at fair prices.

I usually bring back my preferred razors, a variety of shoes from sport to dress.  I bring jeans because I prefer CK cut and I haven't seen them here. My favourite gourmet goat cheese and quince paste is usually brought over for me by friends as I have not found similar here. I also bring a few pairs of quality motorcycle gloves as I have a very wide fit and like to try before I buy. Other than that a few other person items. I generally just eat fresh fruits and vegetables or eat out these days and my needs are quite simple.

products from home? not much; proper tooth picks - have looked for years in BKK - cannot find any, only find this useless cylindrical sticks

some years ago Thai airways used to have proper tooth picks in biz class, not anymore

re drill bits

don't know where you guys are located, but such can be found in BKK

Go thannon Luang towards the intersection named Worachak,

first shop on your right hand side after you have crossed thannon Worachak is a tools shop,

they have proper drill bits, at a price

9 hours ago, Gregster said:

Nah... I call BS to anyone who claims that their luggage is first off just because they’ve flown Business Class.

See post #156.... “if your bags are first on, they’ll be last off”.

If you check in early for a Coach class flight, you bags will pretty much be the last ones off the carousel.

However, business class baggage which, if using the Business-to-Coach passenger seat ratio as a rough guide, makes up probably less than 15% of the total baggage stowed, get loaded in separate "first off the plane" baggage containers and will ALL be first off the carousel. The only time my Coach class baggage beat the premium ticketed passenger baggage was when I had very short connections and I guess it got thrown into the last, open baggage container which is typically a business class one as they are "last on, first off".

9 hours ago, smotherb said:

I don't need any drill bits or power tools and I certainly am not into DIY. I will not build, buy, or finance and house, condo, or property here. So all your reasons make absolutely no sense to me. As I said, I can buy/hire/rent what I need; gives me the freedom I like.    

...except the absolute, bliss and freedom of building stuff in your own shed. Farangs can own a shed you know? They can also own everything that is in it... EXCLUSIVELY!

Look, I didn't literally mean your wife can't find decent drill bits. I know your wife, like most here, doesn't have a clue about drill bits. It was just a segue to introducing other aspects of stuff we cannot live without beyond cheese or McVitie's Digestives or Vegemite into the thread that is all about what stuff you need from home.

Please feel free to make your own thread about, "How I embraced Thailand's self-sufficiency mantra and pontificated as much on a forum thread about bringing stuff from home."

• Like 1

On 7/22/2018 at 9:21 PM, wgdanson said:

HP sauce, Sharwoods curry pastes, concentrated red grape juice (for what you ask), and the latest Man City shirt!

HP sauce is readily available in Tesco and Big C, no need to take up valuable luggage space with that. As for the City shirt.......

T-shirts, shirts and running shoes in adult sizes.  Shaving needs, towels, silverware, linens. As another member posted, if available here, expensive or low quality, or both.  Clothing up to Large is available and inexpensive, although must move up one or two sizes, things run small here. Good luck.

10 hours ago, smotherb said:

Fair comment if that is your lifestyle, here today, gone tomorrow, and the fact that you have read about farang's getting ripped off buying land, property etc .

The wife and myself have a bit of land, rear a few cattle I enjoy it, keeps me occupied,  I can say I have a better lifestyle here, then living in a one bed flat, on the edge of a UK town with no prospects of work.I am 60 plus.