What products do you bring from home?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Running shoes, size 11.5 are mostly unavailable for most of the popular running shoe brands in the stores in Bangkok.

and not to mention a wide fitting , that is why I always bring with me from the UK . 

Coming from Australia, Vegemite is the first thing I pack. Plus 6 month's worth of pharmaceuticals.

Decent dark chocolate, a good bottle of shiraz, swimming trunks. Can get the trunks cheaply at Target. My GF likes the big bars of Aldi soap.

If the OP is a golfer, be warned - golf clubs are ridiculously expensive here. Better to bring them.

Not one-way traffic - when I go back to Australia, whisky, packaged dried mango, tamarind, and various things I pick up in the Mae Sai market

I living in th country maybe get to the big city (Udon Thani) every 4-5 weeks. It makes the things you buy at Villa Market all that more special. 

They’ve lots of cheese good beef etc. Yes it’s more but it’s ok you just ration yourself. 

US /EU to Bangkok should be ok. Wonder what would happen if you were going to OZ with Cheese. Customs pulled me to the side and had a good yap at me.  Do you have any food? No. Out come hard candies individual pack. Saiid that’s not food it’s candy. A few more yaps then off I went. 

From China to LAX they gave you a sandwich just before landing. Wasnt

hungry so saved it....go in the line  but but but... 

2 hours ago, superal said:

Sarsons malt vinegar ,   dry roasted  and  honey & chilli flavoured peanuts  ,  Yorkshire tea bags  ,  shaving cream and blades ,

new trainers (  mostly only up to a size 10 here )  boxer shorts that fit and not a bs size as they are here  , always a new bank card reader as a backup ,  new light weight  chino trousers / shorts 

Have to say , does anyone actually buy the Liptons tea bags here ?   

Noooo !, Lipton’s are the worst !!

Tried using 2 bags one time while working in the US but it was still lousy , luckily the local supermarket had a foreign food aisle and had Tetley’s ( or was it Typhoo ? ), always threw a few in my suitcase after that !

On 7/18/2018 at 2:28 PM, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

Anything else needed?

Bearnaise essence, and cheese cutters, and extra strings for cheese cutters are the only items I cannot find locally. However, if you don't fancy bearnaise sauce with your steaks, or you don't need to cut your cheese in thin slices, you can get (almost) everything else you need locally, especially in a city like Bangkok.

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

Show off!

Wasn't really intended that way.  Just replying to a previous post or two.  In my country  condoms are prescribed free under certain circumstances and Durex apparently have a production problem with 60mm johnnies making a shortage in countries where Durex is a big seller.  In my country Pharmac the govt pharma buyer and it usually relies on Durex and now has a crisis on shortage of 60mm.  If I was there I might be tempted (if I was a show off)  to accept the blame.   I never took it seriously when my ex wife told me I was nothing but a big prick but now you have made me wonder..............

On 7/18/2018 at 7:42 PM, smutcakes said:

None, you can get everything you need here. And if you are here for the long haul you may as well just find alternatives that can be sourced locally. I can understand some medicine, contact lenses but things like cheese? seriously?

I think smutcakes nailed it. If you are going to stay here; you need to find local substitutes.

I stay 7 montths Thailand 5 months UK so its worth it for me

From the UK.

Cadburys Chocolate

Back Bacon

My Favourite Sausages

Cathedral Extra Mature cheese

Right Guard Anti Perspirant

Shaving Gel

Fusion Razor Blades

Macvities Digestive Biscuits

240 Tea Bags 

After Shaves and EDT

Colemans Mustard

Cooking Sauces

Thats just from memory. If you have weight allowence put it in. All or nearly all are available in Thailand but at stupid prices. By bringing with you it saves quite a few ££££.

In contrast on the way back to the UK my wife brings loads of Thai food. I bring back things that are much cheaper in Thailand

Toothpaste double packs (when on offer and they are larger tubes than UK 150ml)

Contact Lens cleaner

Body lotions for wife

Scalp shampoo

There must be more but thats all I can think of. If you dont make a big deal about it and just pick things up occasionally when out shopping its easy. Only things you need to buy last minute are the fresh things. If you wrap them up and put in sealed container they will stay fresh and not leak.

On 7/18/2018 at 2:42 PM, smutcakes said:

None, you can get everything you need here. And if you are here for the long haul you may as well just find alternatives that can be sourced locally. I can understand some medicine, contact lenses but things like cheese? seriously?

Dishwasher tablets. Electrical kitchen gadgits all so much cheaper in uk. Dried packet mixes most you cant get here and they are 2 for £1in uk. Socks cos i size 13. Xl pants. 

10 minutes ago, helloagain said:

Dishwasher tablets. Electrical kitchen gadgits all so much cheaper in uk. Dried packet mixes most you cant get here and they are 2 for £1in uk. Socks cos i size 13. Xl pants. 

Each to their own. Personally, there is are no things i miss enough to pack in a suitcase and bring over, if i need home comfort that much i will just buy it here.  Not to mention living here full time means only going back maybe once every 2 or 3 years, so better to just get on with life with a substitute over here or simply do without. I mean really, dish washer tablets???

On 7/18/2018 at 7:51 PM, Saraphee said:

Cheese, Chocolate, Sandwich spreads, Corned Beef, Bovril and others...................

There is plenty of tins of Corned Beef in Bangkok, Foodland 179 Bt, or go along the road to Villa

and pay 365 Bt for the same tin.

15 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

Just been to the UK for the first time in 3 years. Suitcase 30kg full off wine gums, jelly babies, haribo mix, rich tea biscuits and fingers, custard creams, 3 x 400 box of tea bags, club chocolate, penguins, custard creams, home wheat and back pack full of kettle chips. Whatever is your favorite in US or UK then bring it over... Otherwise you will be paying 3x as much for the same thing. Thailand is not cheap anymore, even for local stuff.

Sent from my GEM-702L using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Rich tea biscuits? They will be all broken up when you get here, besides, they can be as cheap here as in the UK.

The only things I get are those items that are not available here at all, or the quality is crap.

Never understood the logic of lugging kilos of stuff around when it is available here, especially heavy stuff in bottles, tea bags, you get most brands here and if you work it out per cup of tea is it worth the effort to bring all the way here?

Agreed some stuff is expensive here, but how much in reality can you consume before it expires anyway!

Looks like many of us are the same. 

For me PG tips 720, bisto, oxo cubes, HP sauce (2 large bottles), chinese curry paste that is to my liking. How ever much you like thai food (Of which i like very little) you cannot beat the taste of home. You can find alternatives (but not quite the same) or the same at highly inflated prices Maybe next time i also will bring some cheese

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

There is plenty of tins of Corned Beef in Bangkok, Foodland 179 Bt, or go along the road to Villa

and pay 365 Bt for the same tin.

I'm a long way from Bangkok - and where I buy it's way less than Foodland's price

I always buy suntan cream back in Australia (250 Baht for one litre in Australia compared to 2,500 Baht in Thailand for dubious quality), Omega 3 (can sell it here to family/friends for a good price) and Lanolin Cream (ditto).

I generally bring back consumables that are 10 X cheaper in Australia or that are in demand by Thai relatives and friends. For example, a jar of Lanolin Cream that costs 50 Baht in Australia is worth at least 250 Baht in Thailand. Similar ratio for Omega 3.

6 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

I always buy suntan cream back in Australia (250 Baht for one litre in Australia compared to 2,500 Baht in Thailand for dubious quality), Omega 3 (can sell it here to family/friends for a good price) and Lanolin Cream (ditto).

I generally bring back consumables that are 10 X cheaper in Australia or that are in demand by Thai relatives and friends. For example, a jar of Lanolin Cream that costs 50 Baht in Australia is worth at least 250 Baht in Thailand. Similar ratio for Omega 3.

... and a couple of bottles of Nine Popes red wine would not go amiss... ?

18 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

Just been to the UK for the first time in 3 years. Suitcase 30kg full off wine gums, jelly babies, haribo mix, rich tea biscuits and fingers, custard creams, 3 x 400 box of tea bags, club chocolate, penguins, custard creams, home wheat and back pack full of kettle chips. Whatever is your favorite in US or UK then bring it over... Otherwise you will be paying 3x as much for the same thing. Thailand is not cheap anymore, even for local stuff.

Sent from my GEM-702L using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Oh Dear -make sure you check your blood sugar levels - what a load of highly processed garbage . 

Sorry 

4 hours ago, helloagain said:

What kind of tablets do you give your woman?

Archived