What products do you bring from home?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When i see retailprices in Aldi Germany and the quality of their products i wished i could bring it all..Everything is cheaper than in BKK and also much better quality.

Things like cheese or good meat/fish cost much more in Thailand, can be defrosted and frozen again in Thailand, are of a lesser quality in Thailand and cost 2-5 times more.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 7:42 PM, smutcakes said:

None, you can get everything you need here. And if you are here for the long haul you may as well just find alternatives that can be sourced locally. I can understand some medicine, contact lenses but things like cheese? seriously?

Cheese. Seriously.

Why pay 4 times the price for 1/4 of the choice for 1/2 the quality?

Weetabix, marmite, real marmalade.hard, other than cheddar, cheese.I love soft French cheese but it won't travel, pate in sealed jars. I live in the sticks and cannot get any of these! 

Tesco Lotus sell a generic Weetabix called Whole Wheat Biscuits !, they are okay and made in the UK , didn’t remember the price but not too extortionate ( or I wouldn’t buy them ! )

i always get stopped at airport check in and have to dump my excess weight ?

this time i had to wear three extra jackets, all with the pockets stuffed with gummies and chocolates etc, just to get my bag weight down while i checked in

still had to leave a fair bit of food by the bin in manchester airport, plus gave a fair bit of chocolate to the check in lady who was making me remove it ?

we all know that bangkok is a place that nobody in their right senses would ever want to live in - it is a culture less-kind of surreal “stepford wives” movie gone wrong - thank god after 2 years of my life in Thailand i realized i was the moron and got out.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

11 minutes ago, UKJASE said:

i always get stopped at airport check in and have to dump my excess weight ?

this time i had to wear three extra jackets, all with the pockets stuffed with gummies and chocolates etc, just to get my bag weight down while i checked in

still had to leave a fair bit of food by the bin in manchester airport, plus gave a fair bit of chocolate to the check in lady who was making me remove it ?

Why not just pay the extra weight? 

Really, far more reasonable than the Post.  Or, of course, it's not that important to you.  Which begs the question, why did you take it all the way to the airport in the first place? 

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I pay $10 a pound for good quality dutch goat cheese at Trader Joes in LA. It costs 2,000 baht per kilo here. I cannot get high quality peanut butter here. There I pay $3 to $4 for a pound of organic roasted peanut butter, with no salt or added oils. The dark chocolate is not only cheaper in the US, but far better. Have been bringing back bags of Alaskan sockeye salmon, that is smoked, and stored in hermetically sealed bags, in it's own brine, so that it is preserved for days, until it reaches my freezer. Spectacular stuff. Never seen wild salmon in Thailand, at any price. High quality tequila (impossible to find here, unless you consider Cuervo or Patron to be good stuff, sorry I do not) and fine wine. Same for almond butter, herbal supplements, good licorice, bed sheets, quality hard drives, headsets, watches, clothing, razor blades, shaving cream, moisturizers, shoes (I buy the same shoes on ebay and elsewhere for about 30% of the cost here), pretzels (impossible to find pretzels here without killer palm or canola oil), etc. I could go on for days. I save a fortune by bringing back boxes and duffel bags full of stuff. 

The statement about being able to find everything you need here is not even worth responding to, and does not apply, unless you are a monk.

Really Dude? Goat cheese? Organic Peanut butter? Wild Alaska Salmon (after 25 years there I cant stand the stuff myself...)

Hell Pilgrim, you are complaining about a tube of Penhaligons Blenheim Bouquet Shaving Cream? Try finding that in half the cities of the USA....

Now on the other hand I cant get Mekhong Whiskey here in the US at any price, or those gigunda River Shrimp, or Blood Clams, Frogs or Pork Neck...hell go ask your local Thai eatery in the USA if they make real Thai food....

Bet you can find a Rollie in Silom.....

5 hours ago, Mattd said:

Never understood the logic of lugging kilos of stuff around when it is available here, especially heavy stuff in bottles, tea bags, you get most brands here and if you work it out per cup of tea is it worth the effort to bring all the way here?

I go the UK once a year regardless. I have 50+kg baggage allowance. I have suitcases. I drive to/from the airport at both ends of the trip. The airports I use have trolleys. So I dont lug anything anywhere.

So with that in mind it would be very wasteful for me not to fill up my bags with as much as will fit into them, so that's what I do.

I estimate that I save around £100-200 per trip, which is not to be sniffed at. And some brands I buy there I have never seen here.

Also the act of shopping is many times easier in the UK as I know that all local branches of Sainsburys or Waitrose or Tesco will have absolutely everything I want to buy in terms of grocery items, and that a couple of other nearby chain stores will have everything I need in the way of linen and clothes etc.

To get similar (but worse) things here would require visiting many shops and probably driving to Bangkok.

Saw them in the Grocery Store in the Mall there on Sukh Soi 42

I do live in the sticks in Thailand.
So when I’m back in Europe I’ll buy a bag Knorr for 0,69 € and I’m happy with my soups for 3 years...

16 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I go the UK once a year regardless. I have 50+kg baggage allowance. I have suitcases. I drive to/from the airport at both ends of the trip. The airports I use have trolleys. So I dont lug anything anywhere.

So with that in mind it would be very wasteful for me not to fill up my bags with as much as will fit into them, so that's what I do.

I estimate that I save around £100-200 per trip, which is not to be sniffed at. And some brands I buy there I have never seen here.

Also the act of shopping is many times easier in the UK as I know that all local branches of Sainsburys or Waitrose or Tesco will have absolutely everything I want to buy in terms of grocery items, and that a couple of other nearby chain stores will have everything I need in the way of linen and clothes etc.

To get similar (but worse) things here would require visiting many shops and probably driving to Bangkok.

12 hours plus in transit. Cheese sweats. Bags are left on the tarmac and not airport areas....assuming there are no delays. Transit time to and from airport.  Check in time.  Hmmmm.

22 minutes ago, The manic said:

12 hours plus in transit. Cheese sweats. Bags are left on the tarmac and not airport areas....assuming there are no delays. Transit time to and from airport.  Check in time.  Hmmmm. 

Been doing the same thing for 10 years and have never had any trouble at all.

I keep everything in the fridge until shortly before leaving for the airport. Anything perishable is wrapped in aluminium foil, then in a thin supermarket plastic bag, and then placed inside something that acts as a insulator in the suitcase (often the new clothes that I have bought, but also I have some old freezer bags that shops used to give away for free when you bought frozen items). Perishable items all go in the centre of my baggage, to minimise heat transmission.

I even transport tubs of olive oil margarine that way without them ever leaking (the UK price is under 20% of the Thai price).

Minimal effort for a fairly big saving. Suits me. Others are welcome to give their money to Tops or Villa if they like.

17 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Been doing the same thing for 10 years and have never had any trouble at all.

I keep everything in the fridge until shortly before leaving for the airport. Anything perishable is wrapped in aluminium foil, then in a thin supermarket plastic bag, and then placed inside something that acts as a insulator in the suitcase (often the new clothes that I have bought, but also I have some old freezer bags that shops used to give away for free when you bought frozen items). Perishable items all go in the centre of my baggage, to minimise heat transmission.

I even transport tubs of olive oil margarine that way without them ever leaking (the UK price is under 20% of the Thai price).

Minimal effort for a fairly big saving. Suits me. Others are welcome to give their money to Tops or Villa if they like.

I used to buy frozen lasagna in Oakland and fly it to Phoenix, where it was 50,c on the tarmac....didn't thaw, at all....Heinz deli mustard..about 40 TH b at walmart..must be 120 at SLOPS or RIMSTING.  Doesn't need refrigeration.

12 hours ago, tifino said:

true!

but to avert the expected burning Posts to follow, about Vegemite;

- it's handy to describe (how little) the uninitiated need to really use on a spread ?

Ah and it lasts for years.  Have some in the fridge I brought over about 5 years or more ago.  But not missing it, I hadn't used it.  Tried it a few weeks ago.  Still OK.  Wonder if it will still be OK in another year or two.

15 hours ago, d2b2 said:

Quality bed linens (especially top sheets, as they are very hard to find here), spices and extracts, hardware items and tools.

Yes. Top sheets.  Can't understand why Thais don't use them.  My Thai wife loves them and can't understand why they are not available here.  They are all you need for most of the year.

The baggage hold gets quite cold.  But I do have to many stops for cheese.  West coast, Seoul, BKK. 

I do weigh my bags first.  I can fly with two at 22 kg each.  I pick up a used big samsonite bag at 2 ND hand store for 8-10 USD and leave it in Thailand.  I guess I need to find some booty of value for the return trip.   

I will bring some quality sheets next trip.  What is the deal with no top sheets.  And big blankets like u use in Utah winter? 

What tools and hardware do you guys bring? Oh i brought my 50 shades of grey fun bag but that come home.  This time USA customs in Vegas went through all my bags for 25 mins yes looked In The fun bag.  

VIMTO

Proppa Cheddar Cheese (LOS cheese prices Rip off)

Smoky bacon (Dry Cured)

Yorkshire Tea (Taylors of Harrogate, although a Mancunian Taylors are the Rolls Royce of real tea, anything else is dish water)

Vimto

Aldi/Lidl Muesli (a few bags)

Lemsips/Beechams powders

HP sauce (yes can buy in LOS but extortionate price like cheese)

Did I say VIMTO?

Bassetts Wine Gums

Pork Pies (Melton Mowbray)

'Hollands' Steak & Kidney puddings

and err.., VIMTO!

Odd trip I'll bring in some proppa contraband - Bury Black Puddings but they are a bit bulky and can just about make the trip but if any shenanigans in ME (delays etc) kiss yer ar$e goodbye with them...

3 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Never seen wild salmon in Thailand, at any price.

I think even IKEA has wild salmon, and in the big supermarkets they have 3-4 different kinds of salmon from different places. I think i bought wild salmon last time but not sure...

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

The baggage hold gets quite cold.  But I do have to many stops for cheese.  West coast, Seoul, BKK. 

I do weigh my bags first.  I can fly with two at 22 kg each.  I pick up a used big samsonite bag at 2 ND hand store for 8-10 USD and leave it in Thailand.  I guess I need to find some booty of value for the return trip.   

I will bring some quality sheets next trip.  What is the deal with no top sheets.  And big blankets like u use in Utah winter? 

What tools and hardware do you guys bring? Oh i brought my 50 shades of grey fun bag but that come home.  This time USA customs in Vegas went through all my bags for 25 mins yes looked In The fun bag.  

Bed linen is cheap at IKEA and of reasonable quality....also they have western style quilts and mattresses and all.

Archived