What products do you bring from home?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None, you can get everything you need here. And if you are here for the long haul you may as well just find alternatives that can be sourced locally. I can understand some medicine, contact lenses but things like cheese? seriously?

Every year I fill two big suitcases and a big hand-carried rucksack with anything I can get into them in the UK. If I go anywhere else in Europe on holiday I do the same. My allowance is 50+kg and I use every gram of that.

Cheese, chocolate, tea bags, biscuits, jam, marmalade, honey, muesli, gravy powder, custard powder, kippers, rollmops, tinned anchovies, tinned sardines, lard, yoghurt starter, vitamin tablets, other food supplements, shaving foam, aspirin, good margarine, pesto, Marmite, myriad other sauces and condiments and spreads .... the list is endless. Not to mention all sorts of small electronic items (even some large domestic appliances). Also t-shirts, socks, shoes, handkerchiefs, bed linen, kitchen linen etc.

Not because things aren't available here (though many aren't) but because the prices there are a small fraction of what they are here and the quality and choice there is always much better. The only things that are usually cheaper here are locally-grown fresh foods, and even then it isnt always the case. Anything imported or packeted in a factory usually costs more here or is lousy quality, or both.

Just been to the UK for the first time in 3 years. Suitcase 30kg full off wine gums, jelly babies, haribo mix, rich tea biscuits and fingers, custard creams, 3 x 400 box of tea bags, club chocolate, penguins, custard creams, home wheat and back pack full of kettle chips. Whatever is your favorite in US or UK then bring it over... Otherwise you will be paying 3x as much for the same thing. Thailand is not cheap anymore, even for local stuff.

Sent from my GEM-702L using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 7/18/2018 at 7:28 PM, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

*A variety of different toiletries. 

*Quality extra mature cheese. 

Don't pack your extra mature cheese with your toiletries. 

Agree on hardware store items. I also like Aussie licorice, certain hot sauces, whole bean coffees, guitar strings & maybe a mini amp or another guitar. Ah, pepperocini (did I misspell?), fisherman's sandals. Blu ray discs ("Twin Peaks: the Return" a must get).... hmmm

On 7/18/2018 at 7:42 PM, smutcakes said:

None, you can get everything you need here. And if you are here for the long haul you may as well just find alternatives that can be sourced locally. I can understand some medicine, contact lenses but things like cheese? seriously?

Good cheese from NZ Australia and Europe is available at Big C and Villa.  I find the milk here very watery and tasteless.  I bring whole milk powder and (no connection) a particular pre-mixed bread baking blend from home.  Oh and my fave chocolate made back home.  Nothing like it anywhere!!!!!!

11 hours ago, wgdanson said:

HP sauce, Sharwoods curry pastes, concentrated red grape juice (for what you ask), and the latest Man City shirt!

You forgot the Branston pickle and the beetroot, but I have found that Big C import beetroot from Germany and  it goes by the name rote bete.

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

You forgot the Branston pickle and the beetroot, but I have found that Big C import beetroot from Germany and  it goes by the name rote bete.

I love beetroot; thankfully is widely available, notably Big C, Makro and Tesco Lotus.

On 7/18/2018 at 7:42 PM, smutcakes said:

I pay $10 a pound for good quality dutch goat cheese at Trader Joes in LA. It costs 2,000 baht per kilo here. I cannot get high quality peanut butter here. There I pay $3 to $4 for a pound of organic roasted peanut butter, with no salt or added oils. The dark chocolate is not only cheaper in the US, but far better. Have been bringing back bags of Alaskan sockeye salmon, that is smoked, and stored in hermetically sealed bags, in it's own brine, so that it is preserved for days, until it reaches my freezer. Spectacular stuff. Never seen wild salmon in Thailand, at any price. High quality tequila (impossible to find here, unless you consider Cuervo or Patron to be good stuff, sorry I do not) and fine wine. Same for almond butter, herbal supplements, good licorice, bed sheets, quality hard drives, headsets, watches, clothing, razor blades, shaving cream, moisturizers, shoes (I buy the same shoes on ebay and elsewhere for about 30% of the cost here), pretzels (impossible to find pretzels here without killer palm or canola oil), etc. I could go on for days. I save a fortune by bringing back boxes and duffel bags full of stuff. 

The statement about being able to find everything you need here is not even worth responding to, and does not apply, unless you are a monk.

Archived