UK watchdog and EU tell banks to prepare for hard Brexit

snoop1130

1 minute ago, CG1 Blue said:

The EU is ideal for you little nations - hence your passion on the subject.

I feel for you now...

Indeed it is! It sucks to be a little, unimportant nation, next to the giants. 

Well, UK will know that feeling rather soon. 

Been there, done that. Don't recommend it. 

7 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Indeed it is! It sucks to be a little, unimportant nation, next to the giants. 

Well, UK will know that feeling rather soon. 

Been there, done that. Don't recommend it. 

Please don't invade us on your reindeer once we're little. And I hope you'll still allow Father Christmas to come visit the UK in December 2019.

18 minutes ago, thaibry said:

You are a feather plucker Mr Oiliniki, however the point remains.

I had to google that term to be sure. I was not disappointed. One thing I love about the Brexit discussions, is the Brits use of colourful langue to learn from ?

17 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Most likely not, but we don't really know, do we?

Airline companies sell the seats as much as they can in advance, without really knowing if they will have planes available during those days of flying. 

4 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Please don't invade us on your reindeer once we're little. And I hope you'll still allow Father Christmas to come visit the UK in December 2019.

I'm sure Santa will be here if Finnair don't run out of planes. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Invade, nah. We might send drones every now and then to check wether you have invented how to make fire again. 

UK live will be the best selling TV-show of the 20's. Quite like The Truman Show, but in much wider scale. It'll be fun!

You'll get a visit from Santa, as long as you are not being naughty. We'll see.

Note to myself: Next time meeting Juncker, remember to say to him that we actually have Santa on our side; to gain further leverage during Brexit negotiations.

10 minutes ago, aright said:

I'm sure Santa will be here if Finnair don't run out of planes. 

There might be some shortish, 50 years delay of some parts, like wings, but after that I'm sure we'll be just fine.

Airbus prepares to move from Britain over Brexit fears

●Aerospace giant on brink of abandoning British investment ●Tens of thousands of manufacturing roles at risk over Brexit ●Government holding urgent talks with firm

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/airbus-prepares-to-move-business-from-britain-over-brexit-fears-f6jnc7x2j

45 minutes ago, aright said:

Are you saying the  central European countries have committed to the defence of Finland in the event of an invasion? What Treaty what link? 

Google Finnuke and tell me what you found.

43 minutes ago, aright said:

More per capita is not a requirement . The recommendation for Nato membership is 2.0% of GDP minimum. Finland pays 1.5%

We should dumpNATO and form our own defence. USA are out anyway

16 minutes ago, oilinki said:

There might be some shortish, 50 years delay of some parts, like wings, but after that I'm sure we'll be just fine.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/airbus-prepares-to-move-business-from-britain-over-brexit-fears-f6jnc7x2j

I hear someone might be hiring the ex Airbus staff...

Boeing's £40m plan for Brexit Britain

AIRCRAFT manufacturer Boeing is set to invest a further £40 million in the United Kingdom in an ambitious plan for post-Brexit Britain, Boeing Sheffield engineer James Needham said. The investment comes as Airbus raises concerns about the risks of a no-deal Brexit,

Mr Needham said Boeing's £40 million plans, which were originally announced in September last year, will result in the expansion of its production line in Sheffield after Brexit.

He insisted the company remained confident about Britain's role in the industry after its withdrawal from the EU despite aerospace giant Airbus warning it would consider moving in the event of a "no deal" Brexit.

Mr Needham told Sophie Ridge on Sky News "The round figure would be £30 to £40 million. "We’ve been in the UK for 80 years, there’s a proud history in Sheffield of innovation and technology and manufacturing excellence. This is reflected in the UK’s rich heritage of aerospace innovation. This is a continuation of that."

Mr Needham said Boeing had "ambitious plans" to show the company is growing, saying the Sheffield facility is planning to reach full-rate production by next year.

He continued: "We’re here, we’re growing, we have an ambitious plan to deliver successful manufacturing quality. 146 components will leave Sheffield and be on every 737 from the middle of next year when we hit full-rate production."

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

Google Finnuke and tell me what you found.

I followed your advice and found this;

finnuke.jfif

reminds me of Oddball in Kellys Heroes

frightens the shit out of German tanks with loud classical music

Donald Sutherland and the force are with you.

Edited by melvinmelvin
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Grouse said:

We should dumpNATO and form our own defence. USA are out anyway

This is one of your more sensible ideas. A holiday in the UK can have that effect on a man.

I propose we give up our seat on the UN Security Council, leave NATO and  declare our self to be an armed neutral. Firstly we should withdraw our troops from the Baltic states because abandoning those people to whatever  fate  would in no way diminish UK security and as a result of them showing they are not friends of the UK, we have no moral obligation to them and have never derived any benefit from them.

What do you think? If you want to become a member of my club pm me and I will tell you where to send the cheque to;

Because I know you so well I guarantee a Germanic type uniform , lots of fruit salad on your shirt pocket and a girl pulling hat.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Lols, I did a search with that title 'Boeing's £40m plan for Brexit Britain' 

This is what I got... I suppose the plans are DISMANTELED by Project Fear! ?

Or perhaps there is a some other, more logical, reason.. who knows?

389443213_Screenshot2018-08-0100_19_11.png.ae6495c591c765c366f8ebfaed048a1b.png

10 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

AIRCRAFT manufacturer Boeing is set to invest a further £40 million in the United Kingdom in an ambitious plan for post-Brexit Britain, Boeing Sheffield engineer James Needham said. The investment comes as Airbus raises concerns about the risks of a no-deal Brexit,

Mr Needham said Boeing's £40 million plans, which were originally announced in September last year, will result in the expansion of its production line in Sheffield after Brexit.

He insisted the company remained confident about Britain's role in the industry after its withdrawal from the EU despite aerospace giant Airbus warning it would consider moving in the event of a "no deal" Brexit.

Mr Needham told Sophie Ridge on Sky News "The round figure would be £30 to £40 million. "We’ve been in the UK for 80 years, there’s a proud history in Sheffield of innovation and technology and manufacturing excellence. This is reflected in the UK’s rich heritage of aerospace innovation. This is a continuation of that."

Mr Needham said Boeing had "ambitious plans" to show the company is growing, saying the Sheffield facility is planning to reach full-rate production by next year.

He continued: "We’re here, we’re growing, we have an ambitious plan to deliver successful manufacturing quality. 146 components will leave Sheffield and be on every 737 from the middle of next year when we hit full-rate production."

It is good news and best of British to Boeing if Brexit doesn't <deleted> it up. Mr Needham needs to be assured by the UK government that the 146 components on every 737 will not be held up if crossing or landing in EU territory - or even at a third country border point with the EU where tariffs will come into play.

This is one reason why Airbus is concerned for their future on British shores. The UK government have provided zilch assurance to date.

As the negotiators on both sides state, nothing is agreed until everything is agreed.

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

It's welcome news from the UK government. Not being cynical, here, just remember, it can take an agreed trade deal years before it's implemented (as would a typical USA deal). 

As for the EU exports being outstripped - there's still a hefty £274 billion (44% of total exports) to the EU. Hopefully that could continue unrestricted.

Nevertheless, encouraging signs that only three more years of austerity beckons.

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

Of course UK has offered zilch assurance, they are not in the position to offer any. '

The only assurance that UK can offer is that they will not hamper export from UK.

Think before you post rubbish. That's the point of continuing negotiations to ensure transport can move unabated from the UK to the EU and vice versa after Brexit. The UK government could give an assurance indication to UK businesses/industries that such talks are progressing to avoid chaos on both borders.

1 minute ago, stephenterry said:

Think before you post rubbish. That's the point of continuing negotiations to ensure transport can move unabated from the UK to the EU and vice versa after Brexit. The UK government could give an assurance indication to UK businesses/industries that such talks are progressing to avoid chaos on both borders.

yes, follow your own advice, think before you post rubbish

as of today the UK is not in position to offer any assurance except for not hampering export from UK

everybody knows that there are talks/negotiations going on - has nothing to do with assurance

talks may go down the drain or may result in something useful - remains to be seen though

• Like 1

1 minute ago, melvinmelvin said:

yes, follow your own advice, think before you post rubbish

as of today the UK is not in position to offer any assurance except for not hampering export from UK

everybody knows that there are talks/negotiations going on - has nothing to do with assurance

talks may go down the drain or may result in something useful - remains to be seen though

Again, you are not comprehending my point. However, can we agree to disagree; call it a tautological argument point? Which will be resolved one way or another at the climax to the negotiations. 

4 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Airbus are sounding off in the hope we'll change our minds and stay in the EU.  Boeing are just cracking on and looking forward.

Thankfully we already called Airbus' bluff when ministers warned them they could lose massive defence contracts if they pull out of the UK.

Not accurate. Airbus said they'd (likely) pull out of the UK if there was a no-deal, as they could lose £2 billion a week. The angst between Airbus and the UK ministers was that (after feeding this to Remain ministers before the chequers cabinet meeting) Boeing was awarded a £2 billion deal without giving Airbus a chance to compete in a level playing field. 

Politics is hardball and back-stabbing is rife. Just wait until May concludes whatever deal she's able to achieve, and the knives will be out. IMO, the only reason that she hasn't already been hounded out of office is that no other candidate is willing to put his or her name to the Brexit outcome.

2 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I agree the knives will be out for May, and I agree she wold have been long gone had there been a candidate to replace her.

But, let's be clear on the numbers.

Airbus's turnover amounted to around €60 billion last year. That's turnover, not profit. I believe profits were around €3.5bn.

They are not going to lose £2bn per week if they only make €3.5bn in a year.

That's the Telegraph quote not mine - however, your post makes sense profit wise - maybe it's an opportunity cost loss in not being able to do whatever they do. Whatever, it's a significant amount that justifies planning for alternative locations.

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

Politics is hardball and back-stabbing is rife. Just wait until May concludes whatever deal she's able to achieve, and the knives will be out. IMO, the only reason that she hasn't already been hounded out of office is that no other candidate is willing to put his or her name to the Brexit outcome.

I'm not even sure it will happen even then - she is a handy fall guy. They all know Brexit is going to be a betrayal and/or a mess. Only a fool would want to be in charge of sorting it out as they will get the blame.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I agree the knives will be out for May, and I agree she wold have been long gone had there been a candidate to replace her.

But, let's be clear on the numbers.

Airbus's turnover amounted to around €60 billion last year. That's turnover, not profit. I believe profits were around €3.5bn.

They are not going to lose £2bn per week if they only make €3.5bn in a year.

I agree , I think we have left Project Fear and we are now in Project Superfear.

What are the practicalities of moving.

They would need a new factory in any one of 27 countries at significant cost. This would be highly desirable to all member states and I imagine the infighting would be horrendous although I would have thought Germany or France would get it.

They would need to find and train 13000 employees in carbon fibre composite wing technology, Airbus UK have 20 years experience under their belt

Production lines would need to be moved overseas.

Airbus would need to make redundancy payments up to 13000 employees.

Time frame? 3-5 years and that's a total guess on my part.

This move takes place when Airbus still need to produce wings and while some current employees will resign immediately and the rest of the work force have a  dormant, passive attitude as a result of them loosing their jobs.

I can't see it being practical.

• Like 1