Cave group to be ordained into monkhood for nine days

webfact

Cave group to be ordained into monkhood for nine days

By THE NATION

6df114c79cee7f18952ff5a0597fed7b.jpeg

Twelve young footballers and their assistant coach, along with their family members and some state officials, on Sunday attend a ceremony in front of Chiang Rai’s Tham Luang cave.

THE 12 YOUNG footballers and their assistant coach rescued from Tham Luang Cave this month were in normal physical health, Chiang Rai Governor Prajon Pratsakul told the press on Sunday.

They would undergo another physical and mental health check-up today to prepare the boys for being ordained as novices and their coach as a monk for nine days, he said. 

A ritual of worship of supernatural beings in the cave and the resident Phra That Doi Wao spirit would begin at 9am tomorrow, Prajon said, followed by a Naga hair-shaving ceremony at exactly 4.39pm and a Naga “baisri soo-kwan” blessing ceremony. 

Phra Khruba Saengla Thammasiri, abbot of Wat Phra That Sai Muang in the Myanmar border town of Tachilek, would serve as the monastic host and Prajon as the lay host. 

The actual ordination ceremony will be held on Wednesday morning.

Chiang Rai monastic chief Phra Rattanamunee said his office and provincial authorities were organising the northern-style ordination for the group at Wat Phra That Doi Tung. 

He said the youths would be taught meditation and mental-development techniques so that, after leaving the monkhood on August 4, the skills would help in their further physical and mental health recovery and in future. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30350587

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-23
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

As far as the Christian boy is concerned it is a little like forcing a Jewish or Muslin kid to eat pork. That's a pretty uncool thing to do to a kid who has already been through a lot.

whereas  forcing young  kids to go through something they have no idea  about and are  too  young to get the facts about and  fully  comprehend...............is.

Just now, Phuket Man said:

Oh dear. Haven't they been through enough already?

I reckon in years to come it will be seen as  child abuse...Im just way ahead of my time, children need to learn facts  not mumbo jumbo I personally find it disgusting up there with female mutilation etc etc

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Yeah the government is protecting them from the press, but who is going to protect them from the government?

or  worse s till the monks!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, coulson said:

It's not really a fair comparison. You don't have to worship anything in a temple or even take the precepts on entry if you are not Buddhist. You just have to observe the house rules of conduct and are taught to think by yourself, unlike other institutions, that tell you what to think.

Its  not working then, look at the flock size they have

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Unbelievable. Now they are going for commercialization of Buddha. All the kids want to do is be kids and eat and play. Interviews are fun for them. I would think 9 days of forced monk hood would be like 9 days back in the cave. 1 full day at the temple is even a lot.

Whose idiotic idea for this one?

I'm sure you could blame Buddha for it.

18 minutes ago, coulson said:

They don't have to partake in anything that contravenes their religion.

Even worshipping Buddha goes against the very basic Buddhist teachings, let alone spirits. These modern practices and rituals have been manipulated and warped over the years so it's pointless to argue it is going against their fundamental beliefs.

I think the point is, without getting into nitpicking over details, that they are getting away from it all to reflect and pay respect to the Navy Seal who gave his life. It is a genuine gesture and I think it will be good for them too.

They are not being forced into a solitude of rituals and chanting. They will be fed, have beds, will be left alone by the media and have a good chance to reflect on what's happened to them.

Better if they went and did some charitable  work go to a hospital and help out and really  all of this is way way too  soon, they should be at home with their families whilst the govt decides  how to carve up their  money amongst themselevs, lets hope the dead guys  wife gets  a lifetime of salary  from  the proceeds somewhere

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

How come all thirteen are becoming monks.

I thought one of them was Christian, or is he ambidextrous?

Are you talking about the couch that was brought up by Christians? 

He was a Buddhist monk from ten years old to twenty years old when he left the temple to take care of his elderly grandmother. 

7 minutes ago, Phuket Man said:

Oh dear. Haven't they been through enough already?

with all due respect sir ,what have they been through?? they walked into a cave and were carried out famous....this dog and pony show is just beginning and these thai boys love the attention...but they like any commodity have a manager...and they will jump smile and dance when and where they are told too..they are now thailands little ''puppet show''..have a good day

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

He was a Buddhist monk from ten years old to twenty years old when he left the temple to take care of his elderly grandmother. 

No the boy who was the translator when they were discovered.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

No, it was Adul I was referring to. He's the lad who translated for the rest of the group when the British divers found them.

"Adul was taken in by a Baptist church and is sponsored by Christian charity Compassion International"

source: https://gospelsaints.com/2018/07/12/christian-parents-of-boy-rescued-from-thailand-cave-thank-god-hes-safe/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1