Cave group to be ordained into monkhood for nine days

webfact

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

When are those boys going to be left alone?

Surely they have been through enough without being forced to become monks.

What about their education?

Ohh education does not matter keep the BS going as long as possible, pathetic.

They will contribute to science, we shall find out which one is worse, the Wat, or the Cave...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

As far as the Christian boy is concerned it is a little like forcing a Jewish or Muslin kid to eat pork. That's a pretty uncool thing to do to a kid who has already been through a lot.

I don't think so, as Buddhism has no God, so you can be a Christian Buddhist, or Buddhist Christian. That's why the Thai Buddhism – which is mixed with Hindu Gods like Brahma, and also Shiva and Vishnu – works well together with Thai animism.

Edit: However, another news article, a few days back, mentioned that only 12 of the 13 would be monks; but that might have changed.

Edited by khunPer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tongjaw said:

It’s been reported that the young Christian boy Abdu Sam-on will not be entering the Buddhist monkhood with his fellow team mates 

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/thai-boys-rescued-from-cave-to-be-ordained-in-buddhist-ceremony

15 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Edit: However, another news article, a few days back, mentioned that only 12 of the 13 would be monks; but that might have changed.

The article Tongjaw linked has a picture. You can count the boys. I got 11. The coach and Adul are probably not in the line.

Edit: note, the 11 are to become novices, not monks, only the coach will be a monk, so a separate ceremony, which is why I figured he and Adul are the ones not in the line.

Edited by jerry921
add note
  • Thanks 1

i agree, it's nothing to fuss about and certainly doesn't matter that one is christian.

i'd say it's more of a reflection thing and would probably do them good.

i was in a temple here for a month in my early twenties, i was getting out of control and i'll be serious, if i hadn't been helped by those monks i'd have probably not lived much longer.

didn't push buddhism on me, just taught you how to use your mind a bit better i guess.

i don't think buddhism is all crap, a lot of people take advantage of it but if you listen to some of the teachings, they make sense.

if you can't speak thai then i would suggest listening to some of ajarn jayasaro's videos on you tube, he does some in english.

a lot of it kind of makes sense

• Thanks 1

Just my impressions about this.

Thai Buddhism is a mix of Buddhism and Thai traditional cultures.

Similar to Filipino Catholicism being different from French Catholicism.

From stuff I saw on the media, many locals believe their "intrusion" into the cave offended the spirit of the mountain. 

So offerings were given to assuage the spirit.

I really don't think that is Buddhism per se, sounds more like animism or something like that, but it's all mixed up here (and everywhere). 

Also that in effect these boys were basically basically "dead" and are now reborn.

That's pretty powerful stuff, you've got to admit!

So there is  the feeling that there is a need for a kind of "cleansing" or some other spiritual stuff that I don't pretend to understand and becoming temporary monks takes care of that. 

No comment about the Christian boy. I suppose it depends on how he and his family feels about it. They might be totally OK with it. Or maybe not. 

Also to add, foreigners coming here and moving here tend to learn pretty quickly Thailand is the land of Thais. Their country, their dominant religion, their rules. I can't see getting hot and bothered about this. 

Maybe reserve such outrage for more serious things. 

Edited by Jingthing

6 hours ago, cmsally said:

Leonard Cohen wasn't 11yrs old

I would say most Thai Buddhism has very little to do with meditation. If it did you would not see the buildings/statues/religious edifices that are so common.

No he wasn't 11 years old.. but not really a lot to do with this situation.. the boys don't become monks.. they are novices.. Virtually all Thai boys enter the Wat for a brief period .. Thai tradition to make merit and in a sense it is a right of passage..   Thai Buddhism has evolved over a long period of time and has many aspects that are not part of a pure Buddhist teaching.  Going back a very long way spiritual belief was based on animistic beliefs.. the the Hindu religion spread widely through SE Asia and Indonesia at least as far back as 200 BC.. probably much further.. Buddhism didn't become the dominant religion until much later.. Present day Buddhism in Thailand is a mixture of all three belief systems.. I don't see this a s good or bad.. it is just the way it is. It makes Thai culture what it is.. it is the glue that has held the culture together for a couple of thousand years and makes Thailand the unique and wonderful place it is..    

Well of course the source was 'The Nation' who get it wrong many times.

It's been stated on this forum several times from different sources proving that inaccuracy. 

But of course this forum is owned by 'The Nation'!  

Enough said!!

9 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Unbelievable. Now they are going for commercialization of Buddha. All the kids want to do is be kids and eat and play. Interviews are fun for them. I would think 9 days of forced monk hood would be like 9 days back in the cave. 1 full day at the temple is even a lot.

Whose idiotic idea for this one?

The person who oversees the rule of - we will do what doesn’t need doing, and we will not do what does 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, coulson said:

It's not really a fair comparison. You don't have to worship anything in a temple or even take the precepts on entry if you are not Buddhist. You just have to observe the house rules of conduct and are taught to think by yourself, unlike other institutions, that tell you what to think.

Actually if the object is meditation , then you are not taught to think. The object of meditation is to not think.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Actually if the object is meditation , then you are not taught to think. The object of meditation is to not think.

it is weird, but it can free up your mind. 

just stopped raining here. was stuffy and horrible in the morning and then the rain stops and the airs much clearer.

it's a bit like that, kind of 555

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Thank you for posting that, as i said no Christian boy would volunteer to become a novice Buddist monk.

People don't have to be  Buddhist to stay at a temple for a certain time if it benefits them. Religions are way too often the reason for troubles. Can't we just live with each other, no matter what people believe in? Just saying. Why not practising meditation in a Buddhist temple? Is that something bad? 

38 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

it is weird, but it can free up your mind. 

just stopped raining here. was stuffy and horrible in the morning and then the rain stops and the airs much clearer.

it's a bit like that, kind of 555

Don't think too much now! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Well the main thrust of the excitement surrounded the ordination of a Christian kid in a ceremony worshiping cave spirits and other religious rites. If the Op had the facts straight there would have been less outrage. Some people may have thought little of the dilemma, but history is full of examples of Christians choosing martyrdom over the choice to worship of other spirits idols, foreign gods or denying their faith. This is something many Christians would take deadly seriously. It didn't really seem to be a fair treatment of a kid who certainly didn't need the added stress over losing his salvation after just getting his life back.

Now of course we know that he will not be made to perform these heretical ceremonies. Hopefully their will be no hard feelings against him and his chances for citizenship are not compromised.

But outside of that whole thing, is the welfare of the other kids. Is making them continue to do things as a group and being such a public spectacle really what they need at this time? Wouldn't a return to school and normal schedules be a healthier choice for these kids. Or are they going to keep pushing these kids around until they get full fledged PTSD?

don't think too much . . . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DM07 said:

Oh, please spare me!

Yeah, I live in Thailand and yeah, I had a look at their "religion" and it is the same crap than anywhere else in the world!

I don't have to like everything Thais do, just because I live here!

It's not "entering Thailand and hang up your brain in the entry hall"!

Actually I won’t spare you - is religion crap ? Logically there is no supreme being - it’s nonsense .

But as I said the great religions have moulded the world we live in - you cannot dispute that .

No you don’t have to like everything the Thais do ( I’ll ignore that tired hang up your brain comment ) 

One could ask - why are you here - a serious question? To move to another country , disrespect their beliefs, culture, way of life etc etc . 

My home is often full of Thai friends - it’s a simple thing - cupboards full of Pla Ra , and things I am not so fond of - some nonsense on the TV , I am not judgemental, it’s fine . 

My theory is of course that Americans cannot cope - and go down this alpha male , I am so important- actually not so important. 

Just go with the flow - embrace the country- you have no right whatsoever to criticise .