Brake Pads

Briggsy

Just had the front brake pads changed on my Honda Sonic. Paid a little bit extra for better pads.

After changing the pads, the front wheel will not spin freely when the bike is at rest. The bloke in the shop says it's ok. When I rode the bike back from the shop, it feels as if there is some drag which of course there must be. This doesn't seem right to me.

Do new brake pads take a while to wear in? I don't remember this ever happening before? Would you take it back?

Just had the front brake pads changed on my Honda Sonic. Paid a little bit extra for better pads.

After changing the pads, the front wheel will not spin freely when the bike is at rest. The bloke in the shop says it's ok. When I rode the bike back from the shop, it feels as if there is some drag which of course there must be. This doesn't seem right to me.

Do new brake pads take a while to wear in? I don't remember this ever happening before? Would you take it back?

There shouldn't be any drag,just like a car. Take it back or another shop.

Hi

Sounds as though the pistons are sticking in the bore. They get a build up around the edge, rust and dirt etc. When new pads are fitted they have to squeeze the pistons back in, this dirt then makes the pistons stick out slightly and hence drag on the disc.

The piston bores just want cleaning

Warwick

Being such a small hydraulic circuit, the mechanic should change the brake fluid & flush the brake line when he replaces the pads. This should be done because brake fluid has a high affinity for water, which then produces rusty 'muck' in the hydraulic circuit, if not changed. The rusty 'muck' then affects the operation of the slave cylinders etc.

Anyway they need a bit to wear in, but you shouldn't feel much about it, maybe a bit lower performance of the breaks, and you shouldn't brake too hard the first few km.

It might thouch a little bit, thats no problem, but it should spin almost free.

Brake as hard as you want, will actually help bed the pads in. Any competant mechanic would pop the pistons out a tad more and clean with correct brake cleaner and make sure everything turned correctly before giving the bike back. Leave it like it is and you could warp the disc and damage the brake seals

Some years back when I was riding small bikes I noticed that some 'pattern' brake pads were slightly thicker than the OEM ones. They rubbed lightly on the disk even when the piston was pushed fully home. A few dozen miles and all was freed up and hunky dory.

Definately change the fluid though :o