PM Prayut advises detractors to stop reading newspapers for 5 days

webfact

6 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Learning from the EU, just shut the media down and get them all back to stupid....... Then all will be well......... 

Or just pull a Trump and call them all FAKE news unless they kiss his ass.

Guess he never heard, "what goes around, comes around". But he wouldn't care anyway. Not into forward thinking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

... but quickly added that he has never hurt anybody and, at the same time, has the right to protect himself against bullying.

Can you believe it? An army general that never hurt anyone? The Thai soldiers seem to be very peaceful!???

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Imagine if Donald Trump was handed over the reins. He would be a good choice for president of Thailand. Not sure if a falang given citizenship can ever become PM 

OMG. What a horrible thought. Rampant corruption. Look out HiSo hookers. Decent ladies get ready for the pussy grab. Ruskies would over run the place. North Korea in striking distance. 3 subs would become a fleet of a hundred, atomic powered and equipped. MacDonalds Thailand would love it. Many expats (barring a few) would hate it. Stay in America please Orange Man.

“If anyone criticizes me, I just punch him in the mouth,” he said but quickly added that he has never hurt anybody and, at the same time, has the right to protect himself against bullying.

Military Punk untouchable attitude. Never hurt anyone? How about the tens upon tens of millions of Thai who he criticizes and holds down? How about protecting his cronies and family and putting them in high places? All you Thai people do as I tell you and not as I do! His day is coming and he feels it. 

Edited by holy cow cm
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

You guys are hilarious. I havent laughed as much for a while when reading most of the comments :cheesy:

Surely most of you dont actually live in Thailand. If you do, then clearly most of you dont understand the country or the people - and certainly not the language.

Translation is one of the first steps to understanding another language or culture.  The first is wanting to - clearly most here dont. That is not what he said. He didnt say it in English, he said what he said in Thai and the translation applied is wrong - according to the wife (and that makes sense to me). The wife does not like or hate the PM - right now business is bad for the poorer people in Thailand and good for the rich - she does not support what him/Junta have been doing to economy - but she likes the attacks that have been made on corruption and that the wealthy are not getting away with as much as they used to (hotels are being shut down - property is being resumed - etc etc - that did not happen before). 

I also dont read newspapers or watch news on TV because it is all so negative. Not just about Trump, but about everything.  Good news gets nowhere while bad news travels around the world in minutes.  If all you do is listen to and watch bad news stories, it will make you negative towards life.  Thais are all about enjoying life - they avoid bad news and bad issues.  They know and understand that it really is a load of khr**p and it only makes them feel negative.  Yes - that attitude makes some things that need addressing to be avoided, but overall I like that way and that attitude to life.  Newspapers and TV News are too much about negative issues - they blow it all out of proportion and watching/listening to it is not good for you - if you want to keep a positive outlook on life.  Try if for a while - you will be amazed how little all that stuff actually matters.  Eg.  Israel and Arabs/Palestinians etc - what difference does it make to my/your life really?  It has been a disaster since I was a boy - always was and always will be - but all that trouble has made absolutely no difference to my/your life.  The same applies for so many other issues/problems.

I have only been here 18 years  so still in transition Kindly advise WHAT he did mean then

regardless of what he meant hes till an unelected leader of an unelected government that took over by force and seemingly deranged( to put it nicely) as well

• Like 2

3 hours ago, neeray said:

Your last paragraph just redefined "burying your head in the sand". I read news, tons of it. I read the good, the bad and the ugly. But it has not made me negative. It has made me very aware.

While I am not yet in Thailand full time, my many Thai friends often tell me that I know more about what is going on in Thailand than most Thais do. I pass pertinent bits onto them. They respect me for learning about their country and being involved.

But my penchant for news goes much further than Thailand.

Give it a try sometime.

Glad to see you follow TVF closely. That's a lot of posts in just a year and a half.

Enjoy !

Whatever rocks your boat I say - as long as you remain positive.

Lots of very negative whinging expats - or pretend to be expats who are just plain 'angry' about life.

That comes about from a lifetime of focussing on negative news and being negtative. 

Trying to 'be informed' or 'educated' or 'aware' by listening/watching tghe news is often just self-perpetuation of a learned behaviour.

Going to Uni/School and learning something is doing that - being a news junkie and whinger about it all is not.

Take it from me as someone who is currently living back in the west (see Aust Pension forum thread for reason), I am amazed at how negative and stressed out so many people are here, and how negative things here are.  here is always more and more problems and complaints - and politicians saying how good they have been at fixing problems, or how good a job they will do at fixing the problems.  It is truly startling the difference in the people's attitudes - here in the west it is all a never ending and ongoing 'problems'.  In Thailand the people are far more positive and enjoyable - they work at being that way - their culture tends in that direction.  Informed/educated/aware and sad and stressed - versus ignorance (of what is not really important) is bliss ?

Most of my posts are in the home country forum - sharing and getting advice from others.

I rarely wander into 'this area' these days - couldnt help asking the wife and then responding?

3 hours ago, djayz said:

I hear what you're saying, and agree with you to a certain extent. Maybe watching/listening to the news can pull us down sometimes and yes, usually only the "bad things" are reported, but to advise people to stop keeping abreast of current affairs and what's happening around them/the world is wrong. On the contary, they should be encourage to read and think for themselves. The average Thai doesn't have a clue what's happening around the world, current affairs, etc. In fact, a lot of them don't even know what's happening in Thailand! That is a very sad situation. Maybe this is the reason why they're only worth ฿300/day? 

As B. Franklin once said "We are all born ignorant, but one must 

work hard to remain stupid". 

Just my 2 cents worth. 

See my last response - same again.

1 hour ago, neeray said:

Or just pull a Trump and call them all FAKE news unless they kiss his ass.

Guess he never heard, "what goes around, comes around". But he wouldn't care anyway. Not into forward thinking.

If there is any butt kissing, it's between the media and entertainment industry.

Although some males are being scolded for abuse to women. Are they in prison yet? No, of course not.

Wait. What about Bill cosby.

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

So what did he say? You can't just say he didn't say that and follow it up with nothing. 

My wife, who's very Thai and has only pure Thai blood in her, said he did say that. I won't support that with any evidence because it (makes sense to me). 

Agree. This is nonsense.

I think that the translator had the chance to be more exact unless I'm mistaken.

I couldn't find the Thai word for bullying in the text. He did say   "Mai hai krai ma yiapyam"

Loosely  "I not allow anybody come step on me"

6 hours ago, rkidlad said:

So what did he say? You can't just say he didn't say that and follow it up with nothing. 

My wife, who's very Thai and has only pure Thai blood in her, said he did say that. I won't support that with any evidence because it (makes sense to me). 

Yes, maybe the news should just be a dispassionate list of all the good things happening throughout the world. Only, if we apply your logic of how bad news works, won't it just make people think everything is great and there are no problems in the world. Better hope there isn't someone out there who'd exploit that situation for their own ends. 

and has only pure Thai blood in her”

What do you mean by “only pure Thai blood”?

10 hours ago, webfact said:

"If anyone criticizes me, I just punch him in the mouth,” he said but quickly added that he has never hurt anybody and, at the same time, has the right to protect himself against bullying.

And he's the country's (self-appointed) PM. 

• Like 2