Honda Genuine Oil in Thailand.

Honda have , or can order , all the grades needed for all their bikes . What grade do you think you require ? I once spotted a 5W/30 grade for just over 10,000 Baht for 4 liters , but thats for their newer bikes.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Misprint? You are joking?

Over 200 quid (Pounds Sterling for non Brit readers) for 4 litres of oil? 

1260 Baht at Lazada.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/honda-5w-30-4-i3982580-s4913507.html

(it does not say whether it is fully synthetic)

Maybe the poster saw the "10000" on the label.

10000 km change cycle.

hondaoil.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 7/26/2018 at 5:24 AM, thaiguzzi said:

Misprint? You are joking?

Over 200 quid (Pounds Sterling for non Brit readers) for 4 litres of oil?

Im not joking , it was something like 9800 or 10200 Baht for 4 liters of Motul 300v Fully synthetic factory oil in a bike shop near the Warorot flower market , Chiang Mai. I had to look twice , but that was the price label / sticker.  The other Motul 300v grades on sale were about 4200 / 4500 Baht. The 5W/30 grade  must be used in some of the new bikes. Would have thought that viscosity was a little low for the heat of Thailand. 

On 7/26/2018 at 5:53 AM, KhunBENQ said:

1260 Baht at Lazada.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/honda-5w-30-4-i3982580-s4913507.html

(it does not say whether it is fully synthetic)

Maybe the poster saw the "10000" on the label.

10000 km change cycle.

hondaoil.jpg

Thats a better price , but this is just standard oil. Maybe OK for just running around bikes.

3 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Im not joking , it was something like 9800 or 10200 Baht for 4 liters of Motul 300v Fully synthetic factory oil in a bike shop near the Warorot flower market , Chiang Mai. I had to look twice , but that was the price label / sticker.  The other Motul 300v grades on sale were about 4200 / 4500 Baht. The 5W/30 grade  must be used in some of the new bikes. Would have thought that viscosity was a little low for the heat of Thailand. 

Sorry but that's over 50 quid a litre. 25 GBP a pint!!!

There is no way i'd stick that in ANYTHING, even a 25 mil RR.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

Sorry but that's over 50 quid a litre. 25 GBP a pint!!!

There is no way i'd stick that in ANYTHING, even a 25 mil RR.

I didnt miss-read the label , it was 10K. I will see if the shop is still selling that grade next time i pop in. I usually use the Honda shop on Kaew Nawarat. As i said , the other Motul oils are about 4.5K , which i pay £ 65 for in England.

On 7/25/2018 at 6:06 PM, ktm jeff said:

Honda have , or can order , all the grades needed for all their bikes . What grade do you think you require ? I once spotted a 5W/30 grade for just over 10,000 Baht for 4 liters , but thats for their newer bikes.

A SAE 5W/30 or SAE 0W/30 (the W stands for WINTER?) is designed for very low temperatures like -30°C to -40°C. The lower the first number is, the better it is for low temperatures. The higher the second number is, the better it is for hot temperatures.

I don`t know where you drive around in Thailand, but if it is not a secret racing circuit in the central warehouse of Walls Ice Cream factory, it is somewhat unlikely to encounter such temperatures. 

screenshot_444.png.bc026250a9607900dcb660df70860e72.png

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Motul 300v Fully synthetic factory oil

Team racing oils we use to buy by the drum so maybe a drum price.

Motul Fully synthetic last time I bought from Nakhon Sawan Kawasaki was 360 baht per litre.

I always use Castrol Active 10w-40 only 140 per litre.

11 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Team racing oils we use to buy by the drum so maybe a drum price.

Motul Fully synthetic last time I bought from Nakhon Sawan Kawasaki was 360 baht per litre.

I always use Castrol Active 10w-40 only 140 per litre.

There are 2 100% synthetic Motul oils , the 7100 and the 300V.  360 b/l is a good price.

Ice racing in a Walls ice cream factory sounds good , lol.  The viscosity numbers are getting lower to "fudge" the emission and fuel figures. In Chiang Mai mountains , it can get down to 05 degrees. Im using 10w/50.

10 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

There are 2 100% synthetic Motul oils , the 7100 and the 300V.  360 b/l is a good price.

Yes one for normal use and one suitable for race engines.

I have always used Castrol in all my bikes throughout my life there's to much hype about oils IMHO.

Castrol in Thailand is always available at a reasonable cost whereas Motul oils are not as I found out at one time at Kawasaki Nakhon Sawan.

My opinion is to use the viscosity oil that the manufacturer of the machine recommends.

If gobal warming continues 20w50 will be used more. ☢️

10 hours ago, observer90210 said:

In a very hot climate 10w-40 should be more then enough ?....I was under the idea that the "thinner" high performance oils 5w-30 etc were more suited for cold countries ? ... am I wrong somewhere ?

Yes, I have the same opinion. Oil is in Thailand seldom really cold, but very often extremely hot. Mountains, hard acceleration, no air flow because of traffic jams.

The heat in Thailand is the problem, therefore a 10W/40 or 15W/50 oil makes more sense in my opinion. What advantages do you have if you use a 5W or 0W in Thailand?
First 90 seconds after a "cold start at 27°C" better viscosity? 

• Like 1

even for Known brands, there are also the cheap versions...

all very well having the correct viscocity index;

but also check the API SN/CF etc type index,

which relates to what vintage engine you have that needs the more/less modern batches

10 hours ago, observer90210 said:

In a very hot climate 10w-40 should be more then enough ?....I was under the idea that the "thinner" high performance oils 5w-30 etc were more suited for cold countries ? ... am I wrong somewhere ?

Post #13 shows a chart so you would be right in assuming that but manufacturers engine oil flow designs come into the mix too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, uwe_rayong said:

Yes, I have the same opinion. Oil is in Thailand seldom really cold, but very often extremely hot. Mountains, hard acceleration, no air flow because of traffic jams.

The heat in Thailand is the problem, therefore a 10W/40 or 15W/50 oil makes more sense in my opinion. What advantages do you have if you use a 5W or 0W in Thailand?
First 90 seconds after a "cold start at 27°C" better viscosity? 

There is a lot of bull in this topic.

Ain't just temperatures.

What engines are you talkin'?

Air cooled? Water cooled?

What vintage? Current latest model with shell mains and big ends?

Or Royal Enfield 500cc single with roller big ends and ball & roller main brgs?

500cc single - 10 y/o SR Yamaha or a 70 y/o BSA M20 side valve?

High performance latest super duper 200 bhp superbike or 8 bhp Honda Wave commuter?

My 29 y/o Guzzi specifies a different engine oil to my 39 y/o Triumph, both having a different main bearing set up, both running SEPERATE gearbox oil (EP90w), one having iron cylinders, the other aluminium, yet i run the same spec engine oil in both.

Why did Harley Davidson specify a straight 40 or 50w  for their big twin engines from the year dot (30's) till the introduction of the Evo range in 84 when they specified an unheard of 20/50w? All running the same style low pressure, high flow oil pump and bottom end assembly. I'll tell you - 2 things.

1. Improved tolerances in manufacture.

2. Alloy cylinders replacing 50 years of iron cylinders.

So, how long is a piece of string?

Edited by thaiguzzi
  • Like 1